Newbie Tech Section Often asked technical questions can be asked here

88 4runner locker

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2010, 06:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
88 4runner locker

i was looking to get a rear locker for my t4r, my uses for it would be at the most medium/intermediate off roading. no hard core rock crawling, buy more like mudding and crawling over slippery rock, mudding and exploring unknown hilly pastures type stuff. i want a locker that isnt so expensive like the ARB Air locker or the detriot locker, but i was looking at the lock rite locker, a type of locker like that, i really am not planning on pickin up a winch so i want something that will prevent me from getting stuck. please help me out my truck is :

88 toyota 4runner no turbo, 8in rear axle, 7.5 rear axle, stock 4.10 gears, 5 in lift

thanks
Old 09-23-2010, 07:53 AM

whats the question? plenty of write ups on the lock right and aussies if ya search. i got a lock right stock gears in my 93 and i love it. makes a huge difference but always be prepared to get stuck. id buy a good heavy duty lug all/come along and a hi lift before id buy a locker if it was me.
Old 09-23-2010, 09:31 AM

Location: Nashville TN. I can help you if you're close BUT NOBODY CAN HELP YOU IF YOU DON'T FILL YOUR LOCATION IN!
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
You can answer these all day long...

This will go on until it is realized a new person should actually try and work to get some of his answers, it might have been covered just a few times already...

Chuck, there's TONS of great info, all at your fingertips in that little box we like to call "search".

EDIT: Wow, 5" of lift and stock 4:11's...

uhm, just a guess, but I'd say you need gears first...

Last edited by tried4x2signN; 09-23-2010 at 09:34 AM.
Old 09-23-2010, 02:01 PM

Received 301 Likes on 207 Posts
Originally Posted by chuckn1

88 toyota 4runner no turbo, 8in rear axle, 7.5 rear axle, stock 4.10 gears, 5 in lift

thanks
You have 2 rear axles? What are you running for tires? Gears might be a better buy, or just do it when you have the diff out already when the lockers going in.
Old 09-23-2010, 03:10 PM

Originally Posted by RE-RE
You have 2 rear axles? What are you running for tires? Gears might be a better buy, or just do it when you have the diff out already when the lockers going in.

haha sorry typo its should say 8 in rear axle 7.5 in front axle
Old 09-23-2010, 03:11 PM

i have stock 31x10.50x15 goodyear duratracs with stock 4.10's
Old 09-23-2010, 03:39 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
research the lock right locker cheap and would suit your needs
Old 09-23-2010, 03:48 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
go for the aussie locker
Old 09-23-2010, 07:36 PM

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
You says "to keep you from getting stuck." Lockers just make it so when you do get stuck; you really get stuck.
Old 09-23-2010, 09:08 PM

Originally Posted by muddpigg
You says "to keep you from getting stuck." Lockers just make it so when you do get stuck; you really get stuck.
Ha ha yup. For the few extra dollars I'd go with the Aussie but if you don't have a some recovery gear I'd get that first.
Old 09-24-2010, 01:13 PM

Location: Nashville TN. I can help you if you're close BUT NOBODY CAN HELP YOU IF YOU DON'T FILL YOUR LOCATION IN!
Originally Posted by muddpigg

True dat!

Nothing beats a rear locker and front winch for going from a stocker with open diffs and no self recovery, to a moderate 4 wheeler you can off road with and see where your next mods need to be...

A rear LSD or locker makes you 3WD instead of one wheel with the least amount of traction on the front, and the one wheel with the least amount of traction in the rear...
Old 09-24-2010, 01:21 PM

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Been researching the aussie all day long, tons of good info on here, but one question you didnt ask and I have yet to find an answer to:

WHERE IN THE HECK CAN I BUY ONE NOW!!!!!

aussie is all out of stock and every company I find that sells them are out too.....lame
Old 09-24-2010, 11:12 PM

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally Posted by OrRunner
Been researching the aussie all day long, tons of good info on here, but one question you didnt ask and I have yet to find an answer to:

WHERE IN THE HECK CAN I BUY ONE NOW!!!!!

aussie is all out of stock and every company I find that sells them are out too.....lame
Got a locrite for this very reason. I think the Aussie performs smoother now that I have one too.
Old 09-24-2010, 11:56 PM

I'd wait for an Aussie if it was me...

Every one I know loves how they work, and how smooth they are.

Spend some time in their FAQ and what they claim seems to be true.

IIRC, there is only one importer of the thing. If I talk to the guy I put his in his Landcruiser, I'll ask him where he got it...

You could also look on the bright side. If they're out of stock, it must be a good product, right?

Sorta like a restaurant. If there's line out the door, you know it must be worth the wait.
Old 09-25-2010, 07:17 AM

To purchase an Aussie you must contact Torq-Masters. They are out of New York so just give them a call to order. You can check out there web page here:
http://www.aussielocker.com/
Old 09-25-2010, 07:26 AM

I personally love my Aussie! It is spectacular and is a night and day difference over an open rear diff. My rig is my daily driver, and for the most part the Aussie behaves well on payment and superior off road. Not to mention that I received excellent customer service from the team at Torq-matsers (Aussie). I would definitely recommend them to anyone looking for this style locker. There are lots of good writeups about installation and reviews floating around YT. Here is one link to an install from the Zuke!

http://gearinstalls.com/bill.htm
Old 09-29-2010, 02:51 PM

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by tried4x2signN
I'd wait for an Aussie if it was me...

Every one I know loves how they work, and how smooth they are.

Spend some time in their FAQ and what they claim seems to be true.

IIRC, there is only one importer of the thing. If I talk to the guy I put his in his Landcruiser, I'll ask him where he got it...

You could also look on the bright side. If they're out of stock, it must be a good product, right?

Sorta like a restaurant. If there's line out the door, you know it must be worth the wait.

To purchase an Aussie you must contact Torq-Masters. They are out of New York so just give them a call to order. You can check out there web page here:
http://www.aussielocker.com/

Yea, I have called and talk to a receptionist and she said she would get the info to a tech and have him call me (about when they would be in stock) and after no response I then emailed them with my information, again about when they would be instock, and still have not got a response, been almost a week, guess I will try back

I thought these companies wanted my money lol!!!
Old 09-30-2010, 08:18 AM

OrRunner,
When I bought my Aussie, i also had to give the info and wait for a call back. Let me say it is worth the wait. When I did receive my phone call, I actually wound up talking to the head honcho himself, Bill Cole. He provided me with all the information I needed and excellent customer service. I had some issues with the fact that my truck had been wrecked by the previous owner and had a different rear axle than the numbers stated. My vin# said that i had one of the rare, non-desirable, 2pinion rear axles in my v6 runner... this bummed me out but hey, what are you gonna do? When I received my aussie and tore apart my rear third, i was surprised to find that I actually had the 4pinion rear axle and that the axle in my truck was a replacement after it was wrecked. Yeah for Me! Bill understood my scenario and sent the proper part out asap so I could get my truck on the road! Excellent customer service!!! Have I said that yet?? Ha!
Old 09-30-2010, 08:26 AM

Oh... one other thing. If you care about your rig and don't want to be wasting money with purchasing lockers and breaking them, wait for the Aussie. I know it sucks playing the waiting game, but it will be worth the wait! By the way, did you know that Aussie's warranty does not go void if you change your tire size! Another company out there will void there warranty if you step up the size of your shoes! Just a suggestion but look into warranty information and understand what you are buying... not just the mechanism but the service and warranty as well. You will not be sorry waiting for the Aussie!
Old 09-30-2010, 08:55 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
After some research...I change my vote to an Aussie.

They are the way I am going to go.

Read this thread....its all you ever wanted to know.

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showt...=179701&page=4

Quick Reply: 88 4runner locker