Newbie Tech Section Often asked technical questions can be asked here

1995 3vze having trouble starting

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2011, 11:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1995 3vze having trouble starting

The engine will start and run fine, but will take many more revolutions than usual until it does start, and will stumble for a few seconds in low rpm then everything is fine. When it is running, however, there is a pretty big smell of gas coming out of the tailpipe. I had this problem before and decided that the gas smell was weak spark not burning all the fuel and making it difficult to start. A "cap and rotor" did the trick.

This time though the cap & rotor didn't do the trick but there is still a strong gas smell signaling weak spark so I was wondering if there is another area in the ignition system that has a gap that the spark needs to gap. The only reason I asked is that I noticed on top of the distributor there is a wheel that seems to be bridging a gap with a metal block to the side of it and that seems to be where another area of interests might be for me solving this thing.

let me know what you think
any help is appreciated
Old 02-03-2011, 03:09 PM

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
Last I checked the 3VZE was an EFI motor. EFI systems have what's called an oxygen sensor that detects the A/F ratio via the presence of, or rather lack there of, oxygen in the exhaust gasses. It sends those readings to the ECM as a variable voltage signal, which it then uses to make the necessary fuelling adjustments. Basically what I'm getting at, in a rather sarcastic manner, is you've gone about solving this issue the wrong way. And your "weak spark" hypothesis holds no water in regards to the smelling of fuel in the exhaust IMO. However, to be sure of that fact and that an actual ignition system issue does or doesn't exist...

1. The FIRST thing a wise diagnostician does to verify an existing condition/issue on an EFI engine is to check the ECM for DTCs(Diagnostic Trouble Codes).

2. When and where possible, you always perform the necessary checks and tests on system components before replacing them in an attempt to solve an existing issue. If they don't meet factory specifications, THEN you replace them. Or if they can't be tested or checked, and the OBD system says they are faulty, then replace them. Don't just replace them assuming that they need to be based on other methods of evaluation. Most of which won't apply.

3. The distributor has air gaps that must be within the specified limits established by the manufacturer. It does require that you check those manually to verify they are within said limits.

4. The particular symptoms you're describing of smelling fuel in the exhaust would send me in the direction of the emissions system, not the ignition system. Namely the PAIR and TWC. The Pulsed secondary Air Injection Reed valve is used to lower the emissions of unburnt HCs. Gasoline is a HydroCarbon fuel, and that's what you are smelling. The next piece of the exhaust gasses puzzle resides inline just after the PAIR system, the Three Way Catalytic convertor. It is responsible for converting the remainder of unburnt HCs into less harmful substances by splitting their molecular structure. Namely into water vapor and carbon dioxide. If either of those systems and related components aren't functioning correctly, excessive HCs will be emitted in the exhaust gasses.

5. The igntion system might be the cause of the initial stumble after starting. But will most likely not be related to the smelling of fuel in the exhaust. Meaning you probably have two, or more, seperate issues to deal with here.

6. Not familiar with the FSM are we?

Last edited by MudHippy; 02-03-2011 at 04:59 PM.
Old 02-04-2011, 12:09 PM

wow...
Old 02-04-2011, 12:12 PM

so apart from the emissions side of it what do you think is making it so hard to start. It has been taking increasing longer to start so that would be my main problem.