Newbie Tech Section Often asked technical questions can be asked here

1990 22r with a lot of gas in the oil..

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2011, 01:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Update

Ok so after a little bit of frustrating parts store searching I found a fuel pump that while it does not resemble exactly the one that came off dose fit. I found it necessary to use the included spacer and dual gasket set the mechanical pump came with as it would not fit correctly without them. I drained aproximatly 3 and a half gallons of gas and oil mixture out of the drain plug and flushed the motor with 2 quarts of fresh 5 w 30makeing sure to let it all drain compleatly then relpaced the oem plug with a nice quick snap open plug kit I found at Orilys. I filled the new filter with fresh 10w30 and put it on. I then refilled the crank case with Castrol synthetic 10w30 high millage Checking periodically stopping to make sure not to over fill it. I poped in new pregaped plugs and wires, a new fuel filer, air filter, and replaced the old locking gas cap as I belive it to have been partly responsible for the build up of pressure in the gas tank that had ruptured the fuel line on top of the tank and dumped about a gallon of gas on the ground about two weeks before the truck stoped working this time. I charged the battery as it was weak from sitting. Then I disconnected the coil and turned the motor over first by hand with a little help from my brother (ASC Tech) who was down for christmas. I then turned it over by key for a min. I checked the oil level again and found it about half a quat low refilled it, reconnected the coil and started it for the first time. Let me say this. It sputterd and smoked. A LOT. Huge cloud but it stoped pretty quickly and the motor smoothed out. So far as I can tell the ordeal does not seem to have hurt the bearings but only time will tell. I want to thank all of you guys for the support and encouragement you gave me. It helped. You will be happy to know I have been happily running up and down the highway for two days now with no hiccups. So once again I and my faithfull lil 1990 Toyota 22r 2wd thank you all.
Old 12-30-2011, 07:31 AM

Received 125 Likes on 101 Posts
Great! Glad it worked out and your truck got a bunch of tlc.

The aftermarket pumps look different than stock. The stock pumps have two or three "towers" on top where the inputs & outputs stick out, where the aftermarket pumps have all that covered up and are just kind of a uniform shape. Yes you definitely want to use the spacer, it's there for a reason!

They supposedly "never" go bad, but my first Napa pump went out on me not 1000 miles after installing it. Left me stranded in the middle of nowhere southern Utah out of cell range...luckily mechanical fuel pumps are simple mechanisms and I could rig it to get me to the next town!

Napa refunded my money and said they'd never seen one of those come back before. A washer on the actual pump mechanism had sheared off so even though the lever was moving, it wasn't moving the diaphram, so no gas was pumping.
Old 01-03-2012, 07:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
They say bad things come in threes. I am beginning to belive it. For no aparent reason my charge light is on,my heater blower quit working, my blinkers dont even try to work and neither does my windshield wipers. The hazzard flashers are working fine. Also the temp and fuel level gages have stoped working. I have checked and cant find any sign of short circuits any where. I had the battery checked and it tested "bad" but it spins the motor over with no lag so I know it is not just weak. The head lights work fine as do the brake lights. The alternator is fine (tested) and the wires and terminal clamps are clean and solidly connected. I am going to try the emergency flashers today and check the fuses but I cant see how it could be a fuse problem as I dont think the wipers and turn signals are wired together unless maby at the ignition switch. Maby one could have failed and caused a surge that blew the other I just dont know. I could really use a fuse block diagram . There are two fuse blocks on this truck one under hood and another by my left foot in the cab on the driver side. The under hood one has a cover with a simple diagram on it but the interior one has no cover so its hard to figure out what is what. I will keep you guys posted.

Last edited by gooberclese; 01-03-2012 at 01:51 PM.