03+ 4Runner/GX470, & 05+ Tacomas 4th gen 4Runners & 5th gen trucks

Shopping for '03 4Runner. What special things to look for?

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2008, 08:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Shopping for '03 4Runner. What special things to look for?

To give you my background, , i'm 22, and I'm an ASE Advanced Master Certified Technician. I'm in the market for a '03 4Runner Sport or Limited ( i don't want the SR5) . 4x4 of course!!!

What special things do i need to look for? such as..."oh you want this one because its got the big rear axle in it". things like that.

other things i'm curious about:
factory XM radio??? does this exist?
any famous TSB's that i should be concerned about for this?

Also, hows the gas mileage difference between the v6 and the v8? I'm still undecided there.

Whats the maximum price i should pay for one of these?

Give me any random advice you have for these.

by the way, my truck is for sale (see sig). I'm in Kansas.
Old 03-07-2008, 02:36 PM
Contributing Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
I would go with the V8 in the 03. It was the first year for the 4.0 V6 so it had a few bugs.
Old 03-07-2008, 03:02 PM
Contributing Member

I've had 0 problems that I can think of. 2003 limited, purchased new. 1 tsb though. o2 sensors, replaced no charge. I also had 1 rear shock that was leaking so the dealer replaced them both-stock of course.
V6 mileage: 17-18 city (Chicago), 20-22 Highway. Thats with a K&N intake.

check the rotors, mine warped after 45k.
Old 03-07-2008, 03:04 PM
Contributing Member

what bugs?
Old 03-08-2008, 05:07 AM
Contributing Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Found this thread. https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f149...ty-etc-105050/
Old 03-08-2008, 10:01 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by DIHOWARD
I've had 0 problems that I can think of. 2003 limited, purchased new. 1 tsb though. o2 sensors, replaced no charge.
What model (V6 or V8)? I've been getting crappy mileage recently and perhaps that's why -- the O2 sensor.
Old 03-08-2008, 10:03 PM
Contributing Member

Check for front seized pistons in both calipers. Apparently, this is a common issue for long before the 4th gens came into the picture too.
Old 03-11-2008, 03:42 AM

Love my 03 LTD V8 Runner. Had to replace both front calipers due to corrosion from road salt($400Ea). Other than that it has held up well and is still nearly new condition and running very strong.
Old 03-11-2008, 05:25 PM

I love my 03 V8... although it is a lowly SR5, which I bought new. The only problem I have ever had was the cat, it smelled like rotten eggs when I accelerated. Got it replaced at no charge... if memory serves me correctly this was a common problem.

I've been extremely pleased with the V8 and would strongly recommend it. It's got power to spare and mpg isn't much better with the 6. I think the 6 was rated 1 mgp better than the 8, per the sticker when we bought the truck. After putting my lift and tires I currently get low 16s... before lift I was getting mid to high 17s (these numbers are a mix of highway/city driving).

If you are going to get a sport or LTD and plan to lift the truck you may want to review comments from folks lifting these models as I think they both came with XRES. I think the concerns/problems have been over come but I would recommend taking a quick look at the issue if you plan to lift it.
Old 03-30-2008, 08:45 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I have the 2003 V8 4X4 Limited. A very awesome truck- rides like a luxury car and gets in and out of trouble like the truck that it is. I bought it used with 53,000 miles on it in December 2006, and it now has 80,500 on it. For the most part this has been a great truck. I had a 1996 V6 4Runner SR5 I bought new and drove until the rear diff rusted through (2006, 10 years, 175000 miles). That was an awesome truck. This one is more refined, being bigger and a Limited, but the enhanced computer controlled handling and stability features (traction control, VSC, downhill assist, etc) are incredible. I commute 100 miles round trip daily in Upstate NY winters and this thing handles and drives like a sure-footed tank.

I would recommend the V8. Excellent torque and fast off the line when you need it. Quiet and strong. I get 19 MPG mixed driving on the commute. Less in the winter, like all engines.

I had the same issues others here mentioned with the front calipers. Replaced them both at 72,000 miles, but should have done this sooner.

I had my heater fan stop working twice on cold mornings, but it fixed itself both times.

You'll probably have a rattle in the moon roof cover- common for the 03. Mine went away before I could get around to installing the recommended fix.

I currently have an issue with the rear hatch lock mechanism. It won't unlock, although I can hear the electronic assist operating. The same thing happened on my 1996 4Runner after 150K from the mechanism rusting out (although it did not have the auto lock assist). I hope the Forum can help me with getting the hatch open so I can clean it up/grease it.

Hope this all helps!

Last edited by j.barleycorn; 03-30-2008 at 09:00 AM.
Old 03-31-2008, 09:18 AM

Originally Posted by j.barleycorn
I have the 2003 V8 4X4 Limited.

I had my heater fan stop working twice on cold mornings, but it fixed itself both times.
I have he same truck and this winter I had the same problem with the heater fan one day. Of course, that was the day it was about 10 degrees Fahrenheit. Sigh. Good thing the seat heaters work!
Old 03-31-2008, 09:46 AM

I have a lowly SR5 also. But you might avoid a potential problem if you do find a limited. There has been a fair amount reported about the seat supports getting weak. I'm pretty tall, so I have the "manual" seat lowered all the way to the floor. However if I raise it for any reason (getting stuff that slides between the console and the seat) I can really tell the seat would be swaying if it were not in it's lowest position.
I do not know if it happens with the elec. seat. (I'm sure the limited would be power.)

Also, the sun/moon roof rattle. I think it was a problem with more than the 03s. I had the fix, but it still rattles on rough road. I finally stuffed a rag way back in the track and it's quiet. I just have to remember to remove it when I want to open it.

I also had a problem with the front cat. converters. I had to replace both to get rid of a check engine light, which, byt the way, turns off the traction control. I could not pass Missouri inspection w/ the check engine light on. It was $1,500 to replace both. The dealer really gave me a break to get it that low. I also went to several muffler shops, another dealer, etc. to make sure it was not a 02 sensor.. The light went off with the new cats.

Other than that, it is closing on 190,000 mi (with the V6) I get close to 20 mpg if I keep my foot out of it and keep it around 70 on the highway.

I can't think of another vehicle I would buy. I put on lots of miles (duh) hunt out of it, (lot's of mud.) pull a small trailer (10K/yr) If it had a little more head room that would be the only thing I would change.
Hope that helps.
Old 03-31-2008, 09:48 AM

I have an 06 V8 Runner and love it as a family car and tow vehicle but not so much as an off road vehicle. Trust me, I am not poo-poo-ing on the new 4Runner. They are just a bit different than the generation before.

Gas mileage is 18-22 if I keep the R's below 2000-2200.

I pull a 4000 lb camper trailer with it with ease. I can hold 75mph going up a steep mountain highway with the camper behind me. The 4.7L V8 has a great power to weight ratio in the 4Runner.

The V8 model does not have 2H, 4H and 4L. You're always in 4H or AWD until you want 4L. You can switch to 4L electronically with a knob on the dash. I believe that in the V6 there's none of this "automatic cr@p". You are actually in 2H when you want to be.

The new Runners are longer and although the total ground clearance is the same as the generation before, you hit your skid plates way more. Plus, the plastic bumper covers are HUGE and totally in the way when off road. I have dents and gashes from the first trip I went on with that rig. The stock skids are a joke too (get Bud Built skids www.budbuilt.com). You almost HAVE to lift the vehicle and put at least 33s under it to get the belly off the ground enough for serious wheeling.

If you're going to really wheel this thing, I think it would be fine but....be prepared (IMHO) to lift it, get bigger tires (bye-bye gas mileage), replace the bumpers and skid plates and get rock rails (cross member too). My rocker panels would have been toast if I didn't pull the step sides off and put rock rails on from www.rocky-road.com the first week I owned the truck.

There's one modern thing I actually kind of like with the new 4Runners. It's that downhill assist control (DAC). I was on about a 40% muddy-slick grade with big wet rocks in my path and I seriously just turned the wheel to get down. The 4Runner's DAC applied brakes to the wheel that needed it and there was great control with VERY little sliding. Pretty cool really (I never thought I’d see myself write that) J

Oh yeah...(as I make this post even longer) the A Trac is growing on me. I had a 2001 Taco TRD with limited slip and a locker and now drive an open/open 1989 truck. I've been very used to the mechanical nature of these drive systems. A Trac drove me nuts at first but it seems to get me up every rock or hill I point it at.

I hope this helps.

Last edited by Trail_Banger; 03-31-2008 at 10:20 AM.