03+ 4Runner/GX470, & 05+ Tacomas 4th gen 4Runners & 5th gen trucks

Just bought a 2008 4Runner V8 - questions??

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2012, 04:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just bought a 2008 4Runner V8 - questions??

Took the plunge and bought a 2008 4Runner with a V8 from a Lexus dealer. The truck has 40,000 miles with 1 more year of power train warranty. I loved my '99, but I need more power. I do miss the manual trans though. I made a list of couple things that I dislike, or that are wrong, or may be normal. I apologize in advanced if some of these have been discussed in the past. Is a long list so I did not spend the time searching every issue. If any of this is a common issue please direct me in the right direction. If you have any suggestions about any of these I am all ears. Thank you.
1- There is a slight snap or jerk when the truck comes to a stop, or when you come slowly out of the stop. It does not happen all the time. Could it be the transmission shifting into 1st gear? or could it be the traction control? is this normal or a known issue?
2- the first couple times I tried to switch from 4H to 4L it seems that the 4L did not engage. I had the beeping and flashing 4L. After couple times it worked. Is this expected, say, from a truck that was not used in 4L much?
3- The truck has Michelin Cross Terrain tires. Are these standard with the 4Runner from factory? They are 17".
4- When I close the door there is a vibration coming from the roof, probably the moonroof. Is this normal? the moonroof does not seem as sturdy as the one in my '99.
5 -Under the car, the transmission skid plate has a plastic flap that is cantiliver facing back with a slight bent downwards. I think this is a bad design. If I am backing up in mud or snow, it will act like a shovel and sink the car more. Any mods for this? Should it be taken out?
6- There is no skid plate under the radiators in the front grille. I think there are aftermarket solutions, thouhts??
7- Is the little radiator in front, a trans or oil cooler?
8- It was impossible to find one without some rust on the underside, specially the rear axle and suspesion components. All the ones I saw had some rust. My '99 always had rust there too. I know up here they use salt on the road during winter, which does not help. I think this is a common Toyota issue.
9 -I hate the fact that the only 12V power supply is in the middle of the console. My '99 had two, and there were in the front of the console. If you have a radar detector I don't want the wires to go through the whole console. This is screming a mod. Adding a second power supply to the front of the console. Ideas?
9- I also hate that the passenger window does not have auto up or down as the '99.
10- Almost forgot. I turned the steering all the way to the left and as I turned I heard a duble clunk couple times. It did not clunk to the right. An issue with the CV? If so, I hope it is covered under the powertrain warranty.

Sorry for the long list. Let me know if you have any ideas or mod suggestions.
Thanks.

Last edited by tony_4runner; 07-22-2012 at 05:35 PM.
Old 07-24-2012, 07:58 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
1. Hmm by jerk do you mean abrupt "bump" or "thud"? If so, it may be common as my 03 does it. Some suggest lubing the driveshaft to help alleviate the issue. Helped mine. Still hear it though. If yours is more than this, check trans fluid level and consider taking it in.

2. No clue. Never tried low 4. I assume you were in neitral or park? Bet there are all kinds of warnings and requirements to get into low 4.

3. Not aware michelins have ever been standard equipment on these.

4. Not normal from my experience, although I have found the moonroof to be a fickle animal on the 4th gen. You have to hold your tounge just right to get it in the perfect closed position effort it goes to tilt mode.

5. Not sure. I'm pretty sure your axles are lower though, so doubt it would hang you.

6. Hmm... I've changed the oil more than once in mine (skid plates are a PITA), and never noticed vulnerability down there. Maybe if I wheeled it I would pay closer attention.

7. Trans cooler

8. Rust sucks. I have an 86 with issues. You'll probably be ok for the next decade or two.

9. Agree. Power port location sucks

9. Agree

10. CV boots have a tendency to fail on these rigs, although usually at 2x that mileage. Check yours. Clunking isn't normal.
Old 07-26-2012, 11:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks.
1. It may be considered a bump. I have read some threads talking about lubing the driveshaft. I will try that and see if it stills there.
4. I found some threads about guys greasing up some components and the vibration improving. Will try it.
5. It just looks funny when you look at the truck from the side. It looks like a bad idea.
6. Toyota has one that I may consider. Even though it seems to be more for looks, but it may keep rocks from going there.
9. I think I will hardwire two outlets and place them in the pull out drawer of the center console.