03+ 4Runner/GX470, & 05+ Tacomas 4th gen 4Runners & 5th gen trucks

First mod's for my 4th gen

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2005, 06:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
First mod's for my 4th gen

Thanks to Good Times and FirstToy, my Daystar 2.5" coilspacers were installed last Sunday, followed up Monday by new 265/70/17 BFG KO's. Not my first choice in tire, I wanted the MT/R's but American Tire said out-of-stock and no way by this Friday when I go to Death Valley. The salesman (in the truest sense of the word) started pushing the BFG KO's but I told him I wasn't interested, but how about Nitto Terragrapplers? Oh yeah, he says, I'll cut you a great deal, $90 per tire. Sold, I said. But no, out-of-stock. Again w/the BFG salesmanship. I finally relinquished and ended up with 5 BFG's w/certificates on each for $875 OTD. I noticed very minor rubbing on the fender liner and/or mudflap when I enter and go down my driveway (not a typical entrance, hard right up the apron then downhill to a hard left thru the entrance gate). Anyway, enough of the blah blah, here it is all nice and pretty, and waiting to get soiled in Death Valley...
Attached Thumbnails First mod's for my 4th gen-img_8369.jpg   First mod's for my 4th gen-img_8371.jpg  

Last edited by RBLACAUSA; 03-23-2005 at 06:04 PM.
Old 03-23-2005, 06:05 PM

Gosh that front bumper is bulbous, huh?

Last edited by RBLACAUSA; 03-23-2005 at 07:02 PM.
Old 03-23-2005, 06:38 PM
Contributing Member

Looking good!!
Yeah it seems the 265/70/17 does rub a litttle bit on the "cup/mud holders" below the front bumper. Nothing serious.

What does the truck measure in the front and rear now. Measured from the ground to fender over the center of the wheel?

How does the handling and noise feel to you after the lift and tires?

See ya at DV.
Old 03-23-2005, 07:03 PM

Man that must have been pretty disappointing about the tires, but your 4th Gen looks sweet with the lift, tires and rock sliders. Sweet ride!
Old 03-23-2005, 07:11 PM

Originally Posted by bulldog-yota
Looking good!!
Yeah it seems the 265/70/17 does rub a litttle bit on the "cup/mud holders" below the front bumper. Nothing serious.

What does the truck measure in the front and rear now. Measured from the ground to fender over the center of the wheel?

How does the handling and noise feel to you after the lift and tires?

See ya at DV.
Front = 37" Rear = 37 3/4". I expected, and can feel, a handling difference with the slightly higher center of gravity and taller & stiffer tire sidewalls. Nothing alarming as the 4th gen rides like a passenger car in stock form, now its more truck-like but not uncomfortable at all. Noise level is up at freeway speed which I expected as I rolled A/T's and M/T's on my old Toyotas. Still, the 4th gen is so well insulated the noise increase isn't a problem either. BTW, I need to see what they aired the tires up to; I think the tire alignment guy aired it up to the max. The real test will be the 4-5 hr. drive to DV. Just glad my ground clearance is now at 12" and not 8".
Old 03-23-2005, 11:45 PM

looks nice and clean. i like those hanna's on there. i'd rather have the AT's over the MT's. unless you're on dirt all of the time, those muds are a bare on the road, especially long road trips.
Old 03-24-2005, 01:42 AM
Contributing Member

Sweet!

Have fun in DV. Take lots of pics.

Doug M.
Old 04-01-2005, 08:42 PM
Contributing Member

Lookin' Good! I'm jealous!

I was thinking that 265/70 would look too small after your lift, but they actually look decent. Am currently in the boat of wanting 285's, but not wanting to dump my spare into the cargo area. Looking around, it doesn't seem as if too many people carry a spare on the roof. And, like everything else, there's zero in the way of aftermarket bumpers.

Seeing your truck, I think I'll just bite the bullet, sell my AR Mojave's, install my Revtek lift, and get some 265/70's.
Old 04-01-2005, 09:06 PM

Originally Posted by kickaha

I was thinking that 265/70 would look too small after your lift, but they actually look decent. Am currently in the boat of wanting 285's, but not wanting to dump my spare into the cargo area. Looking around, it doesn't seem as if too many people carry a spare on the roof. And, like everything else, there's zero in the way of aftermarket bumpers.

Seeing your truck, I think I'll just bite the bullet, sell my AR Mojave's, install my Revtek lift, and get some 265/70's.
THanks! yeah, the 285's are 1" taller than the 265's. That equals 1/2" ground clearance and the need for new wheels too. I didn't have it in me to spend for the extras and then have to trim plastic and suffer the spare tire dilemma to get that extra 1/2". You definitely don't want to carry the spare on your roof for several reasons (weight/balance,theft, body damage and torn rotator cuffs getting it up & down)!! Also an FYI, if you remember, we had a few PM's about the Mojave teflons, which I really wanted. A salesman I was talking with talked me out of it, saying the black center caps they come with are too loose and roll around, and that they don't have any black lugnuts that fit it either. He also told me that the lug wrenchs scrape the wheels because the lugs sit in a recess, and people were complaining about scraping off the teflon. I thought it was strange he was telling me all that and maybe he had an ulterior motive. Anyway, this is all verbal and not seen with my own eyes so don't know if its valid or not. Still, those Mojave Teflons are the best looking wheels out there IMO. Whatever you do will look awesome!
Old 04-01-2005, 09:24 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by RBLACAUSA
THanks! yeah, the 285's are 1" taller than the 265's. That equals 1/2" ground clearance and the need for new wheels too. I didn't have it in me to spend for the extras and then have to trim plastic and suffer the spare tire dilemma to get that extra 1/2". You definitely don't want to carry the spare on your roof for several reasons (weight/balance,theft, body damage and torn rotator cuffs getting it up & down)!! Also an FYI, if you remember, we had a few PM's about the Mojave teflons, which I really wanted. A salesman I was talking with talked me out of it, saying the black center caps they come with are too loose and roll around, and that they don't have any black lugnuts that fit it either. He also told me that the lug wrenchs scrape the wheels because the lugs sit in a recess, and people were complaining about scraping off the teflon. I thought it was strange he was telling me all that and maybe he had an ulterior motive. Anyway, this is all verbal and not seen with my own eyes so don't know if its valid or not. Still, those Mojave Teflons are the best looking wheels out there IMO. Whatever you do will look awesome!
i have the AR teflon victor and the salesman was actaully doing his job. I had a heated converasation with AR and the local shop that sold.installed them. I have scaratched tehe inside of my wheels due to mounting. dismounting.
The solution is a Snap-On thin wall 19mm/21mm impact socket. It clears the narrow lug holes w.out scratching the teflon. My tefolon is scratched and the AR rep told me not to worry until they weather and then make a warranty claim. Had i know this before I probably never would have got the rims, especially after spending 800 bucks.

There are two types of center caps for these wheels. One is a large gm style chrome cap that is TOO large and the other is a teflon-look cap that is cheap plate plastic. I run the victors w/out caps, b/c it is just easier.
You would think buying new rims would be fun and easy...I should have just stuck w. the LC wheels in th egarage
Old 04-01-2005, 10:03 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by kickaha

what about 275s? i know where you could get a great deal on them!
Old 04-01-2005, 11:09 PM

Hmm maybe im just wierd, but ive always thought you could run 285s on a 2.5" lift. Is there less space in the fender well or something because of all the plastic trim, or am i just mistaking something.

I like your 4runner though, very nice =) have a good time with it!
Old 04-01-2005, 11:12 PM
Banned

it's POSSIBLE to run 285s, but man oh man, you'd have to do a LOT of cutting and you'd still rub.
Old 04-02-2005, 07:20 AM

Originally Posted by BornChaos
Hmm maybe im just wierd, but ive always thought you could run 285s on a 2.5" lift. Is there less space in the fender well or something because of all the plastic trim, or am i just mistaking something.

I like your 4runner though, very nice =) have a good time with it!
Thank you. Yeah, Rocky's quote above is right and she knows!!. There are many people who run the 285's w/the 2.5" on the 4thgen, but the rubbing is more severe and I believe trimming and offset wheels are required. The ARB bumper, if it ever comes to fruition for the 4th gen, may eliminate alot of the rubbing, along with removing the fenderliners. With the 4th gen design, there's very little room to go up in tire size w/o performing surgery. The wheel well clearance is TIGHT. The 2.5" lift just gets the truck up enough to look like what it should've looked like from the factory if Toyota wasn't concerned with the legalities of roll-overs, bumper -to-bumper impact regulations, etc. My main reason for the lift/tires was to go up from the measly factory ground clearance specs. The previous gens seem to have larger wheel well openings and seemed to be up higher from the factory, and had much better ground clearance.
Old 03-30-2007, 08:02 AM

Re: First mod's for my 4th gen

Just got a 07 4Runner Sport, looks great but want to put a 2.5 spacer lift on it. How did yours effect the warranty? Did it void it out? Just curious, Thanks!
Old 03-30-2007, 11:32 AM

I have an OME suspension. Recently one of CV boots started to leak. They covered it under warranty. I know others with the same success with warranty issues despite mods.

It will really depend upon what you need warrantied. Some things (breakages etc) may be directly attributed by a service writer to a suspension lift. It really depends upon who you get to write your work up.

Many of us have been wheeling with suspension mods for a few years and it has not presented a problem that I know of in terms of warranty.

My 2 cents - skip the spacers and go for an OME lift. Of course there are other companies that do coilover lifts too. Just my experience with OME. Many people who do a spacer end up doing a coilover switch. Availability of different lift options and lowering prices have narrowed the gap between spacers and an OME setup.

EDIT: just noted you have the Sport (like mine). A spacer lift is your only choice of lift without disconnecting the XREAS - but you might already know that.

Cheers
Mark

Last edited by Expat; 03-30-2007 at 11:33 AM.
Old 03-31-2007, 10:15 PM

Originally Posted by DealMaker
Thank you. Yeah, Rocky's quote above is right and she knows!!. There are many people who run the 285's w/the 2.5" on the 4thgen, but the rubbing is more severe and I believe trimming and offset wheels are required. The ARB bumper, if it ever comes to fruition for the 4th gen, may eliminate alot of the rubbing, along with removing the fenderliners. With the 4th gen design, there's very little room to go up in tire size w/o performing surgery. The wheel well clearance is TIGHT. The 2.5" lift just gets the truck up enough to look like what it should've looked like from the factory if Toyota wasn't concerned with the legalities of roll-overs, bumper -to-bumper impact regulations, etc. My main reason for the lift/tires was to go up from the measly factory ground clearance specs. The previous gens seem to have larger wheel well openings and seemed to be up higher from the factory, and had much better ground clearance.

I just ordered the 2.5" daystar. i was looking at running 255/85's on the stock rim and doing a 1" spacer. 33" tall but only 10" wide. Anybody heard of this size tire being run?

Also... DealMaker, did you only llift the font or did you do the back too?
Old 04-01-2007, 04:58 PM

I did the back, too, with the Daystar spacers. But I started this thread over two yrs. ago. Six months ago I went to the suspension lift that is in my signature. I never had any problems with the spacers, I just wanted something that boosted cargo-carrying capacity.

I never had any warranty issues, so I can't comment on the suspension being an issue. Keep in mind, though, that sometimes dealers will add a lift on certain vehilces; I don't think they'd do that if it would void the warranty. I would think that if its obvious someone screwed up on the lift then it could be an issue. Otherwise, it shouldn't be an issue.

Never heard of that size tire being run (33X10). One issue is that it probably won't fit in the factory spare location. I can say that with the more-common 265/70/17 tires, it has been a tried-and-proven success with many of us, and without loosing the factory spare location. Expat has 275/70/17's, but I can't remember if his fit underneath or not.

For me, personally, no spare underneath is a dealbreaker, although you can Mickey Mouse with tire pressures of opposing tires to end up with the same approxiamte diameter, so you won't have VSC/ATRAC/ABS -related issued that could possibly be caused by different opposing tire-roation speeds.

Originally Posted by Bryan06runner
...Also... DealMaker, did you only llift the font or did you do the back too?

Last edited by DealMaker; 04-01-2007 at 05:06 PM.
Old 04-02-2007, 05:34 AM

Right now I am not towing or hauling alot of weight, so i think I am going to go with the space lift, primarly so I dont have to mess with the X-REAS. I was happy to hear that some dealerships will install small lifts. I am going to check with them and if they do install them, I will feel better about the warranty.
Old 04-02-2007, 07:29 AM

What I meant tby that comment is that some dealers (not specifically Toyota dealers) will put lifts/tires/etc. on their 4X4's and mark up the hell out of it as a "premium package".

Specifically, I have never sen a 4th gen Runner, XREAS or not, with such a package, though. Some dealers do sell the lift components, though, such as the DR coilovers, maybe OME?? Best thing is to do is like you said and call around, maybe ask around in all the forums, too, etc.

Originally Posted by Irish4runner
... I was happy to hear that some dealerships will install small lifts. I am going to check with them and if they do install them, I will feel better about the warranty.

Quick Reply: First mod's for my 4th gen