03+ 4Runner/GX470, & 05+ Tacomas 4th gen 4Runners & 5th gen trucks

Deaver Spring Rear Coils for 4th Gen 4Runner

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2005, 10:59 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Okay, the build up is all done. Instead of replicating my comments to all my pictures, just take a look at all the pics and comments HERE.

Some extra comments:

Install notes:
  • X-REAS wasn't too hard to take off, took Jason (and Jack) about an hour to do.
  • With the Hoe's set at 2" lift I only needed minor trimming.
    • We trimmed the bottom front of the front wheel well.
    • There was still a little rubbing at the back of the wheel well, but after I did my alignment there was no more rubbing. The alignment is a must do before you finallize any trimming work.
  • The rear coils also went in easily. It just took a little leverage.

Performance and Impressions:
  • The lift is much higher than what the pictures show.
  • The sliders are rediculously beefy. I was really impressed.
  • When I first had my front Hoes in on stock tires and no lift in the back, besides driving like a prerunner, the stock coils in the rear were way too soft to keep the truck from rocking when I came to a stop.
  • After putting the deaver coils in, everything seems to match up perfectly. I drove 2 hours back from the O.C. and the cornering is just as good as X-REAS, but the absorption/valving is SO much nicer.
  • Tires:
    • The TrXus Mt's are more aggressive than Interco's webpage showed.
    • I can definitely tell the difference in performance between them and stock on the highway. They are a little more shifty at speed (75+).
    • I can hear a little hum with the windows down, but don't notice anything with the windows up and radio off.
    • I was surprised that they didn't seem to affect the acceleration at all. I was expecting these big heavy 33's to totally slow down the runner vs. the 30.5's, but not at all. Gearing seemed fine. (V6 and 4-speed)

Overall, I'm extremely happy with my first impressions. The Hoe's are absolutely insane, and the guys at Demello are just the best to work with. It was well worth the 2 hour roundtrip from San Diego.

I'll be sure to post some desert pics here when I get a chance to go. Maybe the San Diego borrego trip in Nov.
Old 10-28-2005, 11:39 AM
Contributing Member

Looks really good!!

Looking at it it seems like you will need some more trimming when you are going to wheel it, as the tires seem to fill the wells real good without even flexing.

Does you ride feel firmer than stock now??
Old 10-28-2005, 11:50 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by bulldog-yota
Looks really good!!

Looking at it it seems like you will need some more trimming when you are going to wheel it, as the tires seem to fill the wells real good without even flexing.

Does you ride feel firmer than stock now??
First off, thanks.

I thought I might need some more trimming, but I thought I would just wait until it rubbed, rather than guess where it would rub. When we put the tires on, I thought, oh s$@#, but it wasn't as bad as we thought. After the alignment, it only barely rubbed the front of the wheel well. Surpringly the tires flexed right up into the wheel well nicely. I did my best to flex it, but curbs and sharp driveways are nothing compared to offroading. I'll take a saw and hammer with me next time I got offroading just in case.

As far as ride goes, I wouldn't say it seems firmer, because X-REAS was pretty damn firm. It would jolt you over speed bumps or potholes. So far I have hit every pothole and speedbump I could find on the way home, and the new setup destroys X-reas. So the absorption is better, but it still is fairly firm in the corners. I should be able to tell better once I go offroad.

One note, the rear is sagging a bit in those pictures because I have about 300 lbs of crap in the back between the old tire/wheels/parts and offroad equipment. It looks more flat now that I took the crap out.
Old 11-27-2005, 01:21 PM
Contributing Member

I know this is old, but how is everything holding up? I would be interested to know, and you have the exact setup im lookin at (except i dont know what to do about the rear)
Old 11-28-2005, 08:55 AM
Contributing Member

Well, everything is holding up great. I've had to trim a little more out of the front fender, but it still looks good. I've taken my setup out to Ocotillo twice and this past weekend I took it out to Hungry Valley SVRA. My overall impression is very good. I don't know what you are specifically interested in, so I'll just briefly go over each broad topic:

On road:
The tires are *way* quieter than I thought they'd be. The handling isn't as sharp as stock (obviously), but I'm pretty impressed.

Off Road:
Clearance:
Even though technically I'm only like 4" higher, it seems a LOT more than that. The 4" of clearance makes trails look completely different to me. I drive 20mph over stuff that before I would get out and check the clearance before going over.

Handling:
The spring rate on the rear coils seem to be perfectly matched to the front Hoes. When going over washboards and whoops the rear stays friendly with the front. No excessive drift, no additional bounce that the front doesn't have. I'm very pleased. The only thing I would do different is maybe add an additional .5" lift to the rear. I'm pretty level right now, but I wouldn't mind having a bit more in the back to make up for my big buddies riding in the back!!

Crawling:
I've crawled over as much as I could find and the clearance along with the tires and sliders have made it hard to stop smiling when slow goin. I know I'm not doing Rubicon things, but compared to stock I'm going up and down off anything I can find. If I can clear it with my front bumper, I've tried to clime it with much success.

Overall, I'm very happy. On road the hoes soak up *way* more than stock x-reas, and offroad is no comparison.

If you want more info, or more specific info, just ask.
Old 11-28-2005, 04:55 PM
tc
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
How many miles on the tires, and how are they holding up? How do they do in rain/snow?
Old 11-28-2005, 06:22 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by tc
How many miles on the tires, and how are they holding up? How do they do in rain/snow?
Well, probably not the answer you were hoping for, but I only have a thousand or so miles on them. Considering that, they are holding up great! In the rain I haven't noticed anything bad, they seem to have the same traction as when it's dry, and I haven't been in snow yet. It'll start raining in San Diego sometime soon I bet, so I will have more info on that when I can. I am a serious mountain man when the snow comes this winter, so I'll be sure to also post those results.

I suspect they will do go in the wet stuff because they have plenty of siping.
Old 01-04-2006, 06:40 PM

Weren't you gonna get a Demello bumper? Is it done yet? Pictures? Or am I thinkig of someone else?

Originally Posted by Jared
Well, probably not the answer you were hoping for, but I only have a thousand or so miles on them. Considering that, they are holding up great! In the rain I haven't noticed anything bad, they seem to have the same traction as when it's dry, and I haven't been in snow yet. It'll start raining in San Diego sometime soon I bet, so I will have more info on that when I can. I am a serious mountain man when the snow comes this winter, so I'll be sure to also post those results.

I suspect they will do go in the wet stuff because they have plenty of siping.
Old 01-04-2006, 10:35 PM
Contributing Member

It's done... he's just shy
Old 01-05-2006, 07:05 AM
Contributing Member

Wow, what a coincidence. I just got back from the holidays and I was just uploading the pictures. They are in my profile now.

Last edited by Jared; 01-05-2006 at 07:21 AM.
Old 02-24-2006, 05:49 PM

So now that you have your lift finished, and your front bumper, how much trimming did you have to do to get the 33"s to cooperate? Did you end up w/the RB body lift? Would you have had to trim less if you had the aftermarket bumper first? Just trying to plan for a tire size increase when I get my new Shrockworks front bumper

Originally Posted by Jared
...I'm planning on running 33's all around, and I do realize I'll have to trim with only a 2" lift, but I'm fine with that. I was considering a 4Crawler BL as well, but I'm undecided on that at this point, and I can always do that on my own before or after the suspension lift....-Jared
Old 02-24-2006, 06:59 PM
Contributing Member

P, with the new bumper, you should be able to fit the 33's easily.

The only rubbing might be at full lock on the frame but otherwise you should be fine.

Old 02-24-2006, 10:34 PM

Looks very tough Jared! Cool!
Old 02-27-2006, 02:52 PM
Contributing Member

Thanks. And, most of the trimming comes in the wheel wells. Nothing that is vital is removed though. Obviously the mudflaps front and rear are goners!