03+ 4Runner/GX470, & 05+ Tacomas 4th gen 4Runners & 5th gen trucks

2005 4 runner passenger window replacement

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2010, 11:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 4 runner passenger window replacement

It's an SR5 with power windows and it's the front passenger side window. Anyone have good instructions on how to do this? Some idiot broke into my wife's truck yesterday. I would prefer to do it myself than pay someone to do it. It'll probably cost about the same as our insurance deductible.

Also - any comments about factory Toyota vs. aftermarket glass?

Thanks!
Old 02-02-2010, 06:45 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I'm not aware of anyone who makes aftermarket side glass for Toyotas. This isn't to say they're not out there, I just haven't heard of them.

Windows usually aren't bad.

Keep in mind I haven't pulled a window out of anything newer than a 2nd gen, but the theory should be similar.

More than likely, you'll have to remove two screws from the armrest. They're probably hidden behind two plastic caps and I'm guessing are Phillips. The interior door handle is probably Phillips as well. Once you've removed the door handle screw, try pushing the door handle towards the front of the door. This should release it from the door panel. There is probably a metal rod hooking it to the door latch. Look for a small plastic clip and unclip the metal rod.

At this point, you should probably be able to lift the panel up and off the door, keeping in mind that the power window switch is still attached. You'll need to lower the window down to the open access area to be able to get at the bolts holding the track in. I'm guessing they're 10 mm. Remove those and you should be able to get the window track out.

Replacing the panel will be a little more difficult. Assuming you found one at a salvage yard, it will take some finessing to get into the door. Just reverse the order you used to remove the old track.

Good luck and I hope I'm close to right...

Last edited by RobD; 02-02-2010 at 06:46 PM.
Old 02-03-2010, 11:20 AM

Thanks! I'll give it a shot!
Old 02-04-2010, 12:37 PM

Mine was just broken into about a week ago... In broad daylight to steal my GPS that wasn't even in the windshield. It was in my center console.

Anyway It is an '04 but I'm guessing the glass is the same. I got it fixed by Safelite (national chain) The glass was $100 and the labor was about $65 So, $165 to have the window fixed in a couple hours isn't too bad IMHO. The glass was made by PGW. I had some wind noise after that but they came out again and fixed it free. Overall I was satisfied with their work and the price... well as much as I could be given the circumstances.

Last edited by pepsilvr; 02-04-2010 at 12:38 PM.