03+ 4Runner/GX470, & 05+ Tacomas 4th gen 4Runners & 5th gen trucks

2003 4Runner V6, valve lifter noise

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2003, 11:11 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sorry to hear about your ongoing problem with your new ride. I will NEVER own another Chevy because I had the same problem with a new Silverado a few years ago. Did that TSB say engine fire?.....

Old 07-22-2003, 11:22 AM

Well, my truck is at the dealership for the valve noise and they said it will be there few days. They will be reshimming valves in the left bank and replacing CD player.

Belt and pulley TSB related replacement did not fix anything as anticipated. I will keep you posted if you have any interest to this issue.
Old 07-22-2003, 12:03 PM

Originally posted by Mish
Icos ours are rather rattly on accelleration.
Is this normal or something that needs to be repaired? I just noticed the "rattly" acceleration. Otherwise, the engine whisper quiet.
Old 07-22-2003, 12:05 PM

No no, exhaust rattle on hard acceleration is normal on V6, it will supposedly be fixed later on by toyota by developing more heavy headers, however even the way it is there is o danger, or malfunction in it.
Old 07-22-2003, 12:07 PM

thanks mish!
Also thanks for the step by step updates. Should this occur with my truck, I'll know what to do!
Old 07-22-2003, 12:11 PM

Any time!

My company's attorney keeps asking me how many work orders I got so far wanting to lemon law my runner back to toyota, but I am still trying to work things out and keep it since it seems to be a very nice truck. I thought golden rule of not buying anything first production year only applied to Chevy, Ford and Chrysler (this one is to be avoided any production year), but even the best of them have some issues in our days.
Old 07-23-2003, 05:17 PM

Today dealership called to let me know that they tried adjusting valves and those were fine, so at this point they are not sure what is causing the noise and some 4Runner engineer is supposed to contact them from Cali and suggest what needs to be done. I guess all smart people live in California and not in Ohio, so nobody here can fix my truck. Right now I am enjoying brand new Corolla CE very much and thinking that I sould have bought 2 of those instead
Old 07-24-2003, 08:01 PM

I am afraid things are getting nasty with Toyota. Local dealership called me today stating that they went through my car and found nothing, however the noise is still there. They called California and some engineer there told them that some engines are made differently from the others and might have some parasitic noises, but as long as engine runs there is no problem.
So at this point I have to pick my car up and rattle the hell away until engine locks up, or shows any signs of malfunction, besides rather annoying clicking.
Sounded a lot like BS to me so I called California and filed complaint in order to get my case escalated and hopefully get my truck fixed, even if it takes replacing my gas powered diesel with one of the nicely built motors.

I KNOW THAT I HAVE NOT BEEN HERE LONG AND MAYBE IT IS INDEED NOT THAT BIG OF A DEAL THAT MY MOTOR RATTLES ON THE LEFT SIDE, BUT I NEED YOU GUYS TO HELP ME, IF YOU HAVE SAME TYPE OF NOISE, BY COMPLAINING TO YOUR LOCAL DEALER, OR CALLING 1-800 NUMBER.
Old 07-24-2003, 09:13 PM

ugh, I'm sorry things are not working out for you Mish.

Maybe there is still something that can be done. That "engineer from California" is just one person and maybe they called California, maybe they didn't--know what I mean?

Hopefully going directly to Toyota corporate will help. Is that what you did? Maybe they could give you the engineer's phone # and you could talk to him directly or he could point you in the right direction. I'm sure he doesn't understand the severity of the situation.

I think they have a HQ here in LA... I know Calty is here but that doesn't really help you.
Old 07-25-2003, 05:31 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My truck runs fine but I have the V8, like they said even though all the V6's are the same engine, their like people some are slightly different.

If the truck is so new with very little mileage on it ask them to make you a deal, I've seen brand new vehicles traded in for exactly what the person paid for a higher up model or a different car.

I myself almost traded in my 4Runner for a GX470, since both dealers where owned by the same group they where cool and they had a shortage of V8 Limited Runners but I passed.

Write a letter to Toyota and tell them you would like to up grade your ride and that if it is such a problem and you can't resell it than maybe it is messed up, who knows all I know is people who bitch loudly usually get stuff done.

You could always drain the oil drive it around till it gives up, put the used oil back and call Toyota I know someone who did that with a brand new Chevy Tahoe cause the engine knocked and they said it was fine
Old 07-25-2003, 05:45 AM

I will not cheat, but will not let them take any advantages of me either.
Thanks for the support guys!
Old 07-25-2003, 07:28 AM
Contributing Member

You had the engine noise before replacing your dino oil with synthetic right? I replaced my dino oil with synthetic on a brand new Ford Bronco with about 1,000 miles on the clock. The engine had a knocking sound the rest of its life with me. I empathize the frustration you are having.
Old 07-25-2003, 09:32 AM

I replaced oil hoping to fix the engine rattle, but it changed nothing, so I am sure one is not related to the other.
I am waiting on the district service rep to call me today, or on Tuesday as promised to see where they are going to escalate this issue. Tomorrow I will pull manifold off this thing and look at the gasket and try to disable one by one cylinder to see if this click combustion related, or it is mechanical tapping. I used to work on exotic cars while ago and tackled beasts way tougher than this Japanese farmer's carriage
Let's see what I can find myself, before they waste another ton of my time.
BTW, this is me years back pulling exhaust and transmission off you know what

Last edited by Mish; 07-25-2003 at 09:33 AM.
Old 07-25-2003, 09:33 AM

Unhappy

:cry: I have already placed a call about the knocking-clicking, but not sure if there is any expected response from Toyota.

I play on calling again with a list of problems looking for more historical data and an actual person to address my letters....

The moonroof rattles, engine knocks, computer lies about mileage big time, belt squeals (TSB to fix that one)... did I miss anything?"

Old 07-25-2003, 12:00 PM

Originally posted by Atomicsmurf
did I miss anything?"
Dashboard rattles and rear seat squeak.
Old 07-25-2003, 12:06 PM

hey Mish

They are talking about you on the "4Runner vs. Jeep GC" message board at Edmunds.com
Old 07-25-2003, 12:13 PM

I do not need that kind of publicity, I hope they are not making fun of my scrony ass

Oh, just found it, they simply searched by 4runner problems and came up with my quotes. I did try multiple CDs and I am not imagining problems, since dealer duplicated everything, however chose to bail out and plead stupid

Again, if something needs to be done, I have to do it myself and I will. After this weekend I might actually find out what causes this damn valve knocking sound of an old truck.

Last edited by Mish; 07-25-2003 at 12:41 PM.
Old 07-25-2003, 01:04 PM

Mish, first the valve noises then the CD and now Jeep owners are using your comments against Toyota owners!
When will the maddness end!

Seriously, I hope things make a turn for the better.
Old 07-25-2003, 02:47 PM

Ok, now I think god is making fun of me, which is fine....
New CD player is installed, they even put in all of my presets back, one thing though, they forgot to plug in ANTENNA!
Now CD plays fine, but FM is very quiet and automatic seek finds no stations, not to mention whole bunch of static even on the strongest station in town

That is fine, I am simply one invoice closer to the lemon requirement, they are asking for it.
Old 07-25-2003, 03:37 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: hey Mish

Originally posted by FirstToy
They are talking about you on the "4Runner vs. Jeep GC" message board at Edmunds.com
Lets get a link to this interesting conversation, what could they be saying that Toyota has a brand new engine with a weird/loud noise that only a handful of customers are having a problem with, oh they got us but their Jeeps are only good for 30k before they start to self destruct

I think their selling JGC with Hemi's now, gotta do something cause the design is so old before it becomes a Mercedes M Class twin with Chrysler engines

Quick Reply: 2003 4Runner V6, valve lifter noise