03+ 4Runner/GX470, & 05+ Tacomas 4th gen 4Runners & 5th gen trucks

'09 Taillights and Headlights

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2009, 12:40 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'09 Taillights and Headlights

I'm wanting to swap out my older style taillights and headlight housings for the ones on the '09s.
I've got them priced out at my local dealer (with the hook up) and he can order them whenever but I'm worried about the tails.

The tails on the '09s are LED...and we all know you usually can't just pop in LED's without some blink-rate problems.
I'm wondering if this would be a similar case?

On the '09s the taillights are the only LED's on the truck.
I'm wondering if Toyota had to add a resistor somewhere in the harness in order to preserve the standard blink-rate.

Anybody know anything about this?

As far as the headlights go, direct bolt-on.
I think the black trim look the '09 headlights have looks just plain awesome against a black truck so I'm excited about that.

Give me your thoughts on the LED tails, though.

Fink
Old 03-03-2009, 06:42 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
as far as I know, the LEDs are a direct swap with no problems.
Old 03-09-2009, 03:56 PM

My guess is that the lights have self contained circuitry like a small board inside, (which would make them plug and play), or more likely, all of the circuitry is on the vehicle.

Even on my 1979 GMC truck when I hooked up the trailer the load on those lights caused problems.

I am not sure of the voltage/amperage relationship between incandescent and LED's but I do know that one should try to slightly under power the LED's to get maximum brightness and life. If you try to crank up the amps (or volts?) to make them brighter it will damage them; just ask my night rider mtn bike tail light...stupid crap.

Now that I think about it, it would probably be cheaper the include the circuitry on the vehicle. You might look at a schematic of the circuit to see what the 09's require. That would be the safe thing. Of course if I had them I would treat them gingerly until I got into it then get all excited WANT IT RIGHT NOW AAGGHH!! half the wiring cut out, threads stripped, wife mad, and a soldered glob with a volume button in it...
But's just me. I am sure you will handle it properly.

Check out youtube and www.instructables.com spelled wrong I am sure. Be sure to post results and simple(ton) instructions for us me. thanks and I need some speaker kick panels for a 96 4runner tan.
Old 03-09-2009, 04:19 PM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts
see if you can find out the current draw for each set of lights. too much current to the leds might causes some issues.
civilpd might be right, could have a resistor internal to the lamp housing.

edit: might try toyotanation, I think there is a mod there, pb2max, that does similar stuff this to his truck. he used to be fairly active on ttora. since i got rid of my '05 haven't followed the new gen taco stuff...

Last edited by dropzone; 03-09-2009 at 04:21 PM.
Old 03-09-2009, 04:58 PM

As far as I know (correct me if I'm wrong) the blinkers are still your standard incandescent bulbs, so no resistors would be required for that... As for the LED brake lights, I would imagine they are Plug and play. You'd have to check to see if the harness on the '09 is different.
Old 03-09-2009, 07:21 PM

pydebrasil is right, the blinker is a regular bulb. I installed these into my 05 and its a direct plug in. You just need to move a few parts over from your old tails.
Old 03-11-2009, 03:37 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by pdyebrasil
As far as I know (correct me if I'm wrong) the blinkers are still your standard incandescent bulbs, so no resistors would be required for that... As for the LED brake lights, I would imagine they are Plug and play. You'd have to check to see if the harness on the '09 is different.
Originally Posted by Rook
pydebrasil is right, the blinker is a regular bulb. I installed these into my 05 and its a direct plug in. You just need to move a few parts over from your old tails.
Are you 100% sure of that?
I spoke with my local dealer whom I know very well and they said they are indeed LED tails.
One of the techs also advised that installing the flasher from an '09 would solve the blink-rate issue.

Fink
Old 03-12-2009, 03:40 PM
Contributing Member

Okay, I read the last few posts incorrectly.
The blinkers are indeed regular bulbs.

I may still end up getting the flasher for the '09s to prevent any issues with the ABS warning light that some members have been having.
I'll also have my buddy ask the techs at the dealership what could be causing that.

Fink