03+ 4Runner/GX470, & 05+ Tacomas 4th gen 4Runners & 5th gen trucks

03 4runner 4wd help needed

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2016, 04:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
03 4runner 4wd help needed

Hi everyone I just recently traded for an 03 4runner sr5 with the 4.0 and despite being knowledgable with vehicles im not to knowing when it comes to imports always had chevy and dodge. I currently have im assuming the diff lock light on (green light of all 4 wheels) and the vsc trac and vsc off lights on and 4 wheel will not engage at all I noticed the transfer case actuator has been replaced with a used one by the junkyard markings on it but when I switch it to 4 wheel there is no noise or clicks from anything. I was told that it could be the tccm or even just a bad switch on the dash it has the rotating knob with 2hi 4hi and 4lo. I would rather get better input before I attempt to start replacing random parts or disassembling things that should be left alone any input is helpful! thanks
Old 10-20-2016, 07:29 AM

Received 68 Likes on 63 Posts
Hello,

I can't say for sure but I will try to narrow it down. The green indicator is the 4x4 with an "x" on the transfer case, the red indicator with an "x" on the rear diff is the e-locker indicator and separate from the 4x4 dummy light, but you must be stopped in Neutral shift to 4x4Lo then press RR DIFF LOCK shift to drive and the blinking red RR DIFF LOCK light will turn solid and ABS(off) and VSC(off) indicators will turn on when it engages which usually takes 10-20' roll and a slight turn to line up the locker. Does the 4x4 indicator go out or is it always on when the button is pressed, if the light goes on and off when pressed well rolling, have someone roll the vehicle forward with 4x4 engaged well watching the front drive shaft to see if it turns, if shaft turns when rolling sounds like you have an issue with the front diff actuator not engaging, if the front drive shaft doesn't turn you have an issue with the transfer case actuator.
Old 10-23-2016, 08:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
theres no red light at all just the flashing indicator with 4wheels all connected the diff lock button does nothing and trac lights come on as soon as I start it I had my dad move the 4wd switch while I was under it while running and I hear nothing from the front or rear actuators. Trying to avoid the dealers diagnostic bill but I cannot make any headway with it if it was a dodge or chevy I would have no problems but this is totally different lol.
Old 11-17-2016, 12:53 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Pull the little rotating knob off of your dash, and verify it's not broken in the back, easiest way to do that is look, but if that doesn't make sense pull the cover off - push the little metal knob that's produding out in and rotate ti while your in park or neutral - my little cap had broken, I just figured it out - took it out and did a plastic cement on it and put it back in.

No problems since then