86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Yet Another Smittybilt Tube Bumper Question

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2016, 08:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yet Another Smittybilt Tube Bumper Question

First of all, hello everyone. I'm new here. Read the rules, did the searches, but I'm basically certain that no one is doing the crazy thing I want to do with my 94 Toyota 2WD DLX pickup.

Back in the day, I bought a 1986 2WD Toyota pickup, base model with vinyl seats and vinyl floor covering and no radio even, brand new when I lived in Omaha, NE. I still remember the purchase price, $5788. Drove it for a decade, traded it in, always regretted it.

Somewhere along the way, I had put the truck in a ditch and tore up the stock front bumper and lower valance panel. So I bought a Smittybilt double-tube aftermarket unit and installed it. Not because of the 'Back to the Future' movie - I honestly didn't know about that Toyota truck. I just wanted a heavy duty bumper and that seemed like it would work. It did. I painted it the same blue as the truck and I thought it looked pretty good. Although it was designed for a 4WD truck and thus the bumper sides were a bit proud of the 2WD fenders, I still liked it. I also ended up painting the rear tailgate with the word 'Tonka' to replace the word 'Toyota' just because I thought it would be funny.

So now here I am, much older but not much wiser, and I've got a 1994 2WD DLX to replace my old 1986. I had a bit of an accident right after I bought the '94 though. Replaced the stock bumper and valence with 'stock' aftermarket parts, but they are flimsy and junk. I realize now that what I really want is a Smittybilt (or Smittybilt-style) double-tube bumper like the one I had on my old '86.

I realize Smittybilt doesn't make them anymore (except for Jeeps) and I have read a lot of comments about the old ones rusting out. I've been searching CL and such for a long time; I've seen a few, but mostly in pretty terrible condition or attached to existing vehicles that the owner didn't want to part out. Checked junkyards with no results. Being in SE Michigan, not a lot of Toyota trucks anyway.

I have looked at a lot of modern aftermarket 'offroad' bumpers and I'm not that into them. I'm sure they are fantastic for the offroad use they are intended for, but that's not my thing. I don't take my 2WD offroad, I just want that old Smittybilt tube bumper look in front, and something more stout that the current aftermarket 'stock' bumper I've got now.

So I am thinking I'm going to have to talk to someone about fabricating one for me. No idea where to start though - and that's the reason for my post here today. Any thoughts on where I should go or whom to contact to fabricate a duplicate of the old double-tube Smittybilt front bumper for my truck? I won't be able to afford it until tax refund time, but I'd like to get ready so I can pull the trigger when tax refunds are sent out.

Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails Yet Another Smittybilt Tube Bumper Question-94_toyota_truck_side.jpg   Yet Another Smittybilt Tube Bumper Question-94_toyota_truck_front.jpg  
Old 10-27-2016, 11:33 AM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Gotta Be a few Fab Shops within 25 miles

Get some prints of what you want .

Take them around get some bids .

If you were closer I would sell you mine and build something else .
Attached Thumbnails Yet Another Smittybilt Tube Bumper Question-007.jpg  
Old 10-27-2016, 11:41 AM

Originally Posted by wyoming9
Gotta Be a few Fab Shops within 25 miles

Get some prints of what you want .

Take them around get some bids .

If you were closer I would sell you mine and build something else .
By "prints" do you mean blueprints? Where would I get something like that?

I have looked online for local fab shops - this being Detroit, there seem to be a lot of them, but from what I understand of their websites, they do massive jobs, not one-piece type things. But I don't know. I was hoping to get some specific advice.

Thanks!
Old 10-27-2016, 01:00 PM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts
parts sources
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f120...rs-etc-221645/
Old 10-27-2016, 06:57 PM

Originally Posted by dropzone
Thanks, Robb. I guess I didn't make my question sufficiently clear. I appreciate the link, but I'm not looking for an aftermarket bumper that isn't an old-style Smittybilt, and those seem deucedly hard to come by, so I am enquiring about getting a clone made. I may indeed have to scout up a local shop on my own, but I'm unclear on what is meant by taking 'prints' to one as Wyoming9 suggested. I have indeed investigated the various forums and craigslist and ebay and I've looked at all the third-party bumper makers. Have not had much luck there. So as much as I appreciate a list of links, I've been down that trail aways. Unless I am misunderstanding your response.
Old 10-27-2016, 11:51 PM

Red face

Well to have one built you need the dimensions ..

I tend to forget at times that not everyone builds things like this all the time.

If anyone has one close you could measure it. As long as you have something to show the people you talk to

What about the Je*p ones are they wide enough?? The only thing that you would need to make would be the brackets.

Having one of anything built is expensive nothing being made now that you like ??

I would venture easily $500.00 plus

It was not that hard to install this one that was on my 83 Toyota on to my 2000 Tacoma

As far as rust it has seen 15 plus winters I just repaint it when it needs attention
Old 10-28-2016, 04:25 AM

Well to have one built you need the dimensions ..
Right, I agree. Just not sure where to find them. I guess the other alternative would be to make a mock-up out of pvc or something and then draw up plans from that.

I tend to forget at times that not everyone builds things like this all the time.
Yes, I understand. I 'build' vacuum tube amplifiers, but I don't build cars or car parts. I can turn a wrench and that's about it. No desire to learn, either. I'm 55 years old, not a mechanic and don't have the time or desire to become one.

If anyone has one close you could measure it. As long as you have something to show the people you talk to
Unfortunately, where I live, there are no Toyotas period - this is SE Michigan. People get their cars key-scratched and tires slashed for driving foreign around here. I'm the only guy I know with an old Toyota truck.

What about the Je*p ones are they wide enough?? The only thing that you would need to make would be the brackets.
I don't know if they are wide enough, but they also do not curve around the fenders, they're more-or-less flat based on the pictures I have seen.

Having one of anything built is expensive nothing being made now that you like ??
No, I am afraid not. I am not after a 'heavy duty bumper' but a specific heavy duty bumper. Only the double-tube Smittybilt or a clone of it.

I would venture easily $500.00 plus
Yes, that's fine. By the way, the aftermarket bumpers being made now for a 94 Toyota pickup are in the $800 to $1100 range...

It was not that hard to install this one that was on my 83 Toyota on to my 2000 Tacoma
I'm guessing that if I could find an original Smittybilt from any gen Toyota pickup, it could be made to fit. Not by me, but I'm sure I could find someone who is handy with a torch who could make it work for me.

As far as rust it has seen 15 plus winters I just repaint it when it needs attention
I've seen a couple for sale up here in the three or four years I've been searching, but they were rusted right through. I'm not afraid to have rust fixed, but I'm not sure how far it can be fixed. Up here, everything rusts. But the stories I read online were that the Smittybilts were prone to rusting anyway. I dunno. Mine never rusted and I lived in Nebraska when I bought it.

Thanks for the suggestions. I will keep looking for someone who can help me with measurements I guess.
Old 10-28-2016, 11:00 AM

Red face

I can Make Toledo in 10 hours I am very familiar with Route 23 in the olden days

To bad your so far away I would sell you mine not like I am attached to it

Only because I had it sitting around

Then I did Modify it so I could mount the LED Marker and Turn Signals

I have a few years on you but I tend to forget to I look in the mirror and see a stranger
Old 10-28-2016, 11:08 AM

I can Make Toledo in 10 hours I am very familiar with Route 23 in the olden days

To bad your so far away I would sell you mine not like I am attached to it

Only because I had it sitting around

Then I did Modify it so I could mount the LED Marker and Turn Signals

I have a few years on you but I tend to forget to I look in the mirror and see a stranger
Thanks! I sincerely appreciate the kind offer. I agree, we're too far away from each other. I'll figure out how to get someone to make one for me somehow.
Old 10-29-2016, 12:14 AM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts
The reason I posted the link for parts sources is that several included on that link are junkyards.
maybe one has a smittybilt and then you don't have to half one made...
Old 11-06-2016, 12:35 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i got one

I have a Smittybilt dual tube front bumper from a 1990 Toyota 4x4 I had in the 90's. Not sure if it bolts right up to a 2wd. Painted it yellow to match truck, but removed it after a year or so and I just pulled it out of storage( been in garage for 20+ years) . A couple scratches from getting moved around my moms garage, but in great shape. Should be able to strip the yellow paint easy enough for the black powder coat underneath. Only thing I don't have are the cheap little plastic turn signal mounts. Don't know what it would cost to ship to you from CA. If interested, make me an offer.
Old 11-06-2016, 02:19 PM

Originally Posted by Aquatic Escape
I have a Smittybilt dual tube front bumper from a 1990 Toyota 4x4 I had in the 90's. Not sure if it bolts right up to a 2wd. Painted it yellow to match truck, but removed it after a year or so and I just pulled it out of storage( been in garage for 20+ years) . A couple scratches from getting moved around my moms garage, but in great shape. Should be able to strip the yellow paint easy enough for the black powder coat underneath. Only thing I don't have are the cheap little plastic turn signal mounts. Don't know what it would cost to ship to you from CA. If interested, make me an offer.
Thank you for the offer! I would be interested, but it would definitely have to wait until after the first of the year - tax return time. If you happen to sell it before then, no problem. I will drop you a line when I actually have some cash to spend, and thank you!
Old 06-20-2017, 03:58 PM

Anyone selling a tube front bumper? Need one for my 85 Toyota truck.
Old 06-20-2017, 04:21 PM

Yes !!
Old 06-20-2017, 07:05 PM

Great! Do you have pictures of it? How much?
Old 06-21-2017, 12:14 AM

Red face

Do you plan to come pick it up ??

Depending where you are if it needs shipped Truck freight that could add another few hundred dollars

Price will be figured out when I know just what I need to do.

If you remove it from the truck it will be much cheaper

picture is in this thread .

Are you looking for something that will be a direct bolt on??
Old 06-21-2017, 01:42 PM

I am trying to recreate the Back to the Future Toyota truck. I am needing the double tubular bumper with the loop. Has you bumper been altered? I was hoping to have it shipped if possible.
Old 06-22-2017, 12:17 AM

Red face

Never mind it will not work!!!

For what your looking to do different bumper .
Old 06-26-2017, 10:04 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have a Smittybilt dual tube with hoop off of a 89-95. Not sure what difference in it is from 85 version. Was in storage for over 20 years after being on the truck for about a year. See my post a few up from here.
Old 09-21-2017, 06:55 AM

smiity front bumper

I realize im resurecting a post, but im new and cannot create my own. Im brand new to yotas and the forums obviously. I just bought a 94 reg cab with a smittybuilt rear bumper all In perfect shape. And literally after owning it for a week some one backed into the front of my chrome rust free bumper while i was in a store. So now im looking for a smittybilt to match the rear. Im in Colorado will pay shipping.

Thanks