Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

wow i cant belive it

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2008, 06:44 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
awesome thanks for all the help guys im gonna try and get it running tomorrow ill let you know how it turns out
Old 03-08-2008, 06:44 PM

Originally Posted by Corey
Sorry to hear about that.
Time to get one of these.

Mine saved my engine the first week I had it.
They are a good investment.

and yes i am def going to get me one of those asap
Old 03-08-2008, 08:32 PM

Received 108 Likes on 87 Posts
this is what happened to my rods when i hydolocked my engine in early december.

i didnt get a pic of the block but the left rod actually gouged the block almost to the water jacket in the #3cyl. BUT, the engine started and ran good enough still that it was drivable. it didnt smoke or blow the headgasket but it knocked like crazy. sounded like someone was firing a small machine gun.

Last edited by Robert m; 03-08-2008 at 08:33 PM.
Old 03-08-2008, 09:05 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Robert m
this is what happened to my rods when i hydolocked my engine in early december.

i didnt get a pic of the block but the left rod actually gouged the block almost to the water jacket in the #3cyl. BUT, the engine started and ran good enough still that it was drivable. it didnt smoke or blow the headgasket but it knocked like crazy. sounded like someone was firing a small machine gun.

wow thats a good one! you must of had her at like 6000rpm before she drank that water!
Old 03-08-2008, 09:38 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
What, you're worried about a couple bent rods?

I submerged my 3.0 into mud that made waves over the hood. I had to use the clutch kill override to get out. Pulled the air filter and it was soaked with mud. Mud up the intake to the throttle body. Ran like a Briggs and Stratton 5 horse for about an hour. Never did find out if I hurt anything. Cleaned it up and it ran fine for a year or so until I swapped the 3.4 into the 4Runner.

Like everyone said, pull the plugs, clean up all your electrical with WD40, and have a go at it.
Old 03-08-2008, 10:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
that black fj is realll nice and yours too corey
Old 03-09-2008, 05:40 AM

Originally Posted by Justinvd
Do you think he sucked in water though if it only dipped under for a second before it died? My freind went through a puddle and was sucking in water and didnt know to stop going, his truck came out smelling super rich, like gas was floating in the air out of his exhaust but it didnt stop running, the air filter was nasty and there was a puddle in his air box. Just to be Safe RoBatt u should take the plugs out and turn it over like Brenjen said but it could just be electrical. HAVE FAITH IN YOUR TOYOTA!!!!
As the above posters clearly pointed out with the pictures of the bent rods; water is much more dense than gasoline vapor & air so compressing it is a little harder on a motor. If the thing was running & then wouldn't do anything except click then it's probably locked up. I'm not going to sit here & say that anything is 100% certain, especially if an engine continued to run. Back in the day we used to pour water down the carbs of old vehicles that fouled plugs to steam clean them instead of removing them & cleaning by hand, but that was just a little water & we controlled how much went in.

Starters will just sit there & click if they aren't able to turn over a locked up engine so it'll sound like an electrical problem; I hope for the OP's sake it isn't but there are the pictures of what it'll do above.

Old 03-09-2008, 04:20 PM

Received 108 Likes on 87 Posts
Originally Posted by TOYOTA 1
wow thats a good one! you must of had her at like 6000rpm before she drank that water!
i think i was doing about 25-30 miles per hour in 2nd gear when i hit the puddle.

i came up with the idea of doing a custom shifter with the rods.

sorry for the hijack
Old 03-10-2008, 12:30 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Justinvd
Do you think he sucked in water though if it only dipped under for a second before it died?

Yep, I sure do...

It only take a second when the conditions are right. Just clicking when he hits the starter sounds just like the Isuzu I saw do it once too. When the cylinders (or even cylinder) are full of water the starter can't turn it over so you just get a click when you hit it.

But as already mentioned, no one here on the internet can guarantee anything at all in a situation like this. Once he pulls the plugs and clears the engine he'll know what's going on.
Old 03-10-2008, 05:32 AM

I'm interested to hear how this turns out so I'm gonna bump it, my money's on hydro-locked.

Old 03-10-2008, 06:03 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ATTN. OFFROADERS

Originally Posted by Brenjen
never attempt to fire up a water filled engine. Take out the spark plugs (all of them) & turn the engine over with them all taken out; that'll shoot the water out of the engine & not hydro-lock it in the process. Then clean everything up & put the plugs back in, change your oil & filter & go from there.
Originally Posted by Brenjen
As the above posters clearly pointed out with the pictures of the bent rods; water is much more dense than gasoline vapor & air so compressing it is a little harder on a motor.
Water doesnt compress it displaces which is why something(con rods) needs to give

Does anyone offer a snorkel kit ?

Last edited by Bobzombie; 03-10-2008 at 06:07 AM.