86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

wow i cant belive it

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2008, 04:04 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
wow i cant belive it

well i was out mudding today and everything was going swell untill i hit a hole that was to deep...

when i got screwed over the intake only went under for a sec

other pics from the trip

trying to get me back to the road

the fj with allterrains made it through fine (not this hole) and i figured i could since i had mud tires and more clearance but the freakin intake when under but i guess his intake was higher

right b4 i got screwed

i always read other peoples theads on here shaking my head being like wow i know that will never happen to me but damn... this is not a good feeling i couldnt get it towed today so it is spending the night in blythwood tonight...
any words of wisdom that i should do to try and get it running?

Last edited by RoBatt; 03-08-2008 at 07:10 PM.
Old 03-08-2008, 04:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So what exactly happened? you submerged it, sucked in some water, then it died in the puddle?
Old 03-08-2008, 04:17 PM

Originally Posted by Justinvd
So what exactly happened? you submerged it, sucked in some water, then it died in the puddle?
pretty much i was going through and the intake side dipped under for a sec and then the engine shut off
Old 03-08-2008, 04:22 PM

Did you try to fire it back up? if so did it turn over or just nothing?
Old 03-08-2008, 04:24 PM

yeah after we got it out i did but it just made a click and nothing else but when we were towing it down teh trails for about a mile to get it to the road i tried again using the clutch start cancel switch and it turned over for a sec but after that nothing at all jsut that click
Old 03-08-2008, 04:29 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
you proly hydro locked it, pull the plugs then turn it over and blow the water out then it should b ok - wet distributar etc.
Old 03-08-2008, 04:30 PM

Sounds to me like an electrical problem to me. Start by checking your battery terminals and proceed to check all your ignition. If you believe you sucked in water check you air filter, if thats soaked then maybe take the plugs out and turn it over like that. I have marine terminals on my battery and they get dirty and move around when i go 4x4ing and i get that click every once in a while. I dont know if you should turn it over if there is water in it though, might hydro lock. Hopefully somebody more knowlegable chips in.
Old 03-08-2008, 04:31 PM

never attempt to fire up a water filled engine. Take out the spark plugs (all of them) & turn the engine over with them all taken out; that'll shoot the water out of the engine & not hydro-lock it in the process. Then clean everything up & put the plugs back in, change your oil & filter & go from there.
Old 03-08-2008, 04:31 PM

so there is still hope if it is hydrolocked? im expecting the worst
the truck is sitting in a gas station parking lot tonight ill try that tomorrow
Old 03-08-2008, 04:34 PM

If it's hydro-locked that means a rebuild, sorry. Never-never turn over an engine with water in it.
Old 03-08-2008, 04:36 PM

Originally Posted by Brenjen
never attempt to fire up a water filled engine. Take out the spark plugs (all of them) & turn the engine over with them all taken out; that'll shoot the water out of the engine & not hydro-lock it in the process. Then clean everything up & put the plugs back in, change your oil & filter & go from there.
well to late for the not starting the engine part but im still not 100% sure that there is wather in it
i will try that tomorrow
Old 03-08-2008, 04:38 PM

if it is hydrolocked is it even worth rebuilding it the engine has about 300,000 miles but it still runs oops... ran good but would it be better just to do a 3.4 swap i couldn't do any of the work on a rebuild or a swap...
Old 03-08-2008, 04:39 PM

Originally Posted by RoBatt
pretty much i was going through and the intake side dipped under for a sec and then the engine shut off
Originally Posted by Brenjen
Do you think he sucked in water though if it only dipped under for a second before it died? My freind went through a puddle and was sucking in water and didnt know to stop going, his truck came out smelling super rich, like gas was floating in the air out of his exhaust but it didnt stop running, the air filter was nasty and there was a puddle in his air box. Just to be Safe RoBatt u should take the plugs out and turn it over like Brenjen said but it could just be electrical. HAVE FAITH IN YOUR TOYOTA!!!!
Old 03-08-2008, 04:42 PM

Originally Posted by Justinvd
HAVE FAITH IN YOUR TOYOTA!!!!
haha yes i am trying i haven't given up yet it will run again... eventually
Old 03-08-2008, 04:42 PM

toyota's are amazing, ive seen alot of them drink water til it killed the motor.
then pull the plugs blow out the water and then they run fine no difference, just steams out the exhaust for a second!
Old 03-08-2008, 04:57 PM

I hydro locked an engine once, bent a rod. As long as you haven't done that you are Ok. If the truck is sitting with water in the engine for a while you'll likely need to change the oil because some of the water will seep down past the rings.

Never the less, if it starts after clearing the cylinders you are good to go. Trying a start a hydro locked engine while hard on the starter won't hurt the engine. It's the abrupt stop when a cylinder sucks water that causes the damage.

Frank
Old 03-08-2008, 04:59 PM

try to use some compressed air and blow out the alternator and anything else that does not mix with water. Pull the plugs, squirt some oil in each hole, drain and change it, and start it up.

There is a decent chance the engine died due to lack of oxygen and did not get a chance to suck in any water, but your alternator probably did get wet.
Old 03-08-2008, 05:04 PM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Sorry to hear about that.
Time to get one of these.

Mine saved my engine the first week I had it.
They are a good investment.

Old 03-08-2008, 05:08 PM

I made a snorkel for my old ranger, i can get you pics for the idea if you want, or i bet someone on here has made one
Old 03-08-2008, 06:15 PM

check the air filter if its not soaked then more and likly u arent hydro locked.unless u have a big hole in the airbox were water can get in.climb under it and try turning the crank shaft with a socket and ratchet.it sounds like a eltric problem.if it turns over with the ratchet then its definitly eltrical.u may be able to push start her to get her home unless ur auto.

Quick Reply: wow i cant belive it