Water-Proofin A 22re. Whats Involved?

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2007, 07:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bout to go to the lake though. Gonna see how deep I can get er
Old 04-29-2007, 08:12 PM

Gets the basics down:

Snorkel : No the water isnt gonna go that high but if you hit water with force it wont get in either

Body Mount Caps: Probably the most important thing to make sure is there. I lost one of mine after doing my bodylift and I am going on twice I almost submerged my ECU...

ECU: Relocating it seems a little funky to me. Build a plexiglass box a 1/4in bigger and seal it up.

Wiring: Dielectric grease is your friend. Makes water run off of the wires. Almost like vasaline but tougher.

NO EXHAUST LEAKS!: If you have an exhaust leak you may be giving water and sooner chance to get in.
Old 04-30-2007, 07:30 AM

And the answer is: Up the hood. So... What fluids do ya need to change when you submerge it? Oil, rad, p/s, diffs, xcase, and tranny. I forgettin anything? Thank god I get all those fluids for free I shut it off a second before it went over my hood, so I don't think any water got in, but better safe than sorry.

I hadn't planned on goin into the water like I did. Was gonna go rock crawlin for a little (lake is way down) then ease down into the water. WELL... I drove my truck onto the dock to unload the beer, and the wood gave out. Couldn't get it into reverse fast enough and started slidin deeper lol. It was like a roadrunner and coyote cartoon. WHOOSH there goes the ground!
Old 04-30-2007, 12:32 PM

You can't tell us something like that and not have any pics for us to see... that's just wrong.
Old 04-30-2007, 01:21 PM

Originally Posted by Stomis
ECU: Relocating it seems a little funky to me. Build a plexiglass box a 1/4in bigger and seal it up.
How about a Tupperware box? Put the ECU in the box part and leave the top in the glove box until you start the water crossing, then put on the top. That way under normal conditions you get air flowing around the ECU and it's only sealed for the short time you cross the water.
Old 04-30-2007, 01:35 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
There really isnt' a lot of spare wiring in the ECU harness to move it around. You could cut, splice in some wire, and then move it.

Also, it doesn't get very hot.. I don't think that putting it in a box would cause issues. I don't believe the case is used for grounding.
Old 04-30-2007, 01:42 PM

Originally Posted by DaveInDenver
How about a Tupperware box? Put the ECU in the box part and leave the top in the glove box until you start the water crossing, then put on the top. That way under normal conditions you get air flowing around the ECU and it's only sealed for the short time you cross the water.
thats almost an amazing idea. however, how u gonna run the wires conected to it with a lid? maybe run them through the bottom piece? plug up the holes all around where the wires enter the box. might just work right thur.
Old 04-30-2007, 01:50 PM

Originally Posted by dijlop
thats almost an amazing idea. however, how u gonna run the wires conected to it with a lid? maybe run them through the bottom piece? plug up the holes all around where the wires enter the box. might just work right thur.
I didn't say it was perfect... ;-) Without cutting the wires, my thought would be to cut a slot along the side and rivet the plastic back together as well as possible. Then lots of silicone. I dunno, I haven't done it yet, just something that has been rattling around in my head.
Old 04-30-2007, 01:55 PM

i like it. keep thinkin on it. i know i will.
Old 04-30-2007, 02:37 PM

Originally Posted by Zombie
You can't tell us something like that and not have any pics for us to see... that's just wrong.
Was at night. Already had it towed out and pulled back to san antone by the light.

And those are some good ideas yall. Think I might try em. Down the road that is...
Old 04-30-2007, 04:36 PM

Originally Posted by SwampThing
And the answer is: Up the hood. So... What fluids do ya need to change when you submerge it? Oil, rad, p/s, diffs, xcase, and tranny. I forgettin anything? Thank god I get all those fluids for free I shut it off a second before it went over my hood, so I don't think any water got in, but better safe than sorry....

Well if you dunked your truck there are coupple of thing to do before you cause damage.

Remove inake ducts and air filter box, check for water. Sniff air filter for clues . Remove all spark plugs and turn the engine, first by hand if feels ok, give it a crank. If water mist shoots thru the plug holes, turn till it shoots no more then inject motor oil to each cylinder thru the holes, crank some more, till it gets compression back.
You may have to unbold exhaust to poor water out.

If water can be pour out of ECU, it is trashed. Disconect all connectors, and clean/rust proof them with connector cleanner spray...

Do not let car sit, try to dry it as soon as possible before rust and mold setlles..