Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

V6 Fan explosions!

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2006, 09:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
V6 Fan explosions!

Hey all,

Just wanted to let you all know...the first gen V6 (3vz-e) radiator fans tend to explode! I've lost three now, and I think I am done with my truck! I do not want to go buy all the necessary parts, including a new fan, and only have a so-so fix. I mean, this last fan to go on me, destroyed: radiator, hoses, timing belt cover, fan pulley, fan, air box, dented battery, and the costly one...fan pulley bracket! If I fix all this...I still will have a truck that's willing to explode again at any time!

Sounds like about $500 in parts for a $500 truck! And, I just put new tires on it!

OK I'm done complaining...just wanted to see if any of you out there have had the same issue, or to warn you that you might!

PS- My '97 4Runner is running fine!

-Raptor in CO
Attached Thumbnails V6 Fan explosions!-exploded.jpg  
Old 04-30-2006, 09:17 AM

Why dont you just put a electric fan??? I more than sure it wont explode on you...
Old 04-30-2006, 09:19 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
LOL - sorry, I had to laugh....I like how you talk about how it EXPLODED! BAM!!!!
BOOOOOOOMMM!!

Ok, in all seriousness, this is the first time I've ever heard of this.
Old 04-30-2006, 10:14 AM

I've seen this before on the forum, on guy had hood damage too, IMO go with either an electric fan or a flex fan.
Old 04-30-2006, 10:22 AM
Contributing Member

its the fan bracket that comes apart, and yes its quite common. Just replace the fan bracket, and whatever else is damaged, and go with a electric fan. I'll do ya a deal to, I have the relay and the thermostat to do the electric fan mod. Since it seems like your havin a bad day, if you wanna go this route, i'll give it to ya for the price of shipping. I went to a direct switch on mine, if you want the stuff shoot me a pm.
Old 04-30-2006, 11:00 AM
Donny, you're out of your element
Staff

Received 54 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by Raptor
Hey all,

Just wanted to let you all know...the first gen V6 (3vz-e) radiator fans tend to explode! I've lost three now, and I think I am done with my truck! I do not want to go buy all the necessary parts, including a new fan, and only have a so-so fix. I mean, this last fan to go on me, destroyed: radiator, hoses, timing belt cover, fan pulley, fan, air box, dented battery, and the costly one...fan pulley bracket! If I fix all this...I still will have a truck that's willing to explode again at any time!

Sounds like about $500 in parts for a $500 truck! And, I just put new tires on it!

OK I'm done complaining...just wanted to see if any of you out there have had the same issue, or to warn you that you might!

PS- My '97 4Runner is running fine!

-Raptor in CO
wanna sell it?
Old 04-30-2006, 11:34 AM
Contributing Member

Well I've never had my fan EXPLODE, but it did shatter and fly apart. When I had my HG done the mechanic left a wrench on top of the shroud. It fell in the blades, took out the radiator, shroud, belts and alternator. The shop paid for it and I kept the wrench.
Old 04-30-2006, 12:08 PM
Contributing Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
I have never heard of them exploding either, not even on here.
Old 04-30-2006, 12:17 PM
Contributing Member

Its not the fan that exploded to start it, its the fan bracket......this part right here
Old 04-30-2006, 12:45 PM

Anyone done away with the fan clutch and installed a spacer to go to a strait mechanical fan? I did this on my last two vehicles and it worked great.
Old 04-30-2006, 01:27 PM
Banned

John, I know you had to of lost alot of horsepower and MPG having a directdrive fan all the time, I can really feel it when the fancluch engages on mine.

Yah, Ive replaced that spindle before, It hosed me $800 just for that part,That was the dumbest design Toy has done to the engine, Nexttime I go electric and maybe surpentinebelt if I can find one.
Replaced the fan just to avoid detonations
Old 04-30-2006, 02:23 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Well, the fan on my 92 3.0 did explode. It was warped pretty badly when I bought it. When it turned loose, it took out the fan shroud and my battery. I did replace it with stock parts, but if I had it to do over again, I'd put on an electric fan.

Mike in AR
Old 04-30-2006, 03:08 PM

But seriously, are there any electric fans that have the cajones to do the job as well as the stock fan without major modification? Wasn't there a few threads about guys having issues with overheating due to running the electric fan in the Summer, and having to switch to the stock fan until the fall to keep things cool?
Old 04-30-2006, 03:20 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Seems like there have been some who did the Taurus elec. fan swap. I've not read of any overheating issues with that mod.

Mike in AR
Old 04-30-2006, 03:27 PM

Hey sorry to hear about that, but yes they do "EXPLODE". My wife drove my truck home one night saying "your truck sounds funny" Im like what do you mean "Funny" Went out and looked and sure enough all of my fan was gone, timing cover, battery cables frayed, radiator hoses as well as the metal tube that holds the hose, resonator, air box had holes and other so called parts in engine bay. I was asking my wife what the hell did she hit and with tears in her eyes she says, "nothing I didnt hit anything" The kicker was that when I shut my hood I noticed 4 large shrapnel hole through the hood. My wife says she just heard a weird noise and cont driving. She swears she didnt hit anything that could have shot up and hit the fan. The best part was I contacted my insurance agent and they covered all the damage. Gave me a check for about 1500 bucks and I replaced the fan with elec fan as well as all my other parts for about 600 bucks.
The story I am told is that these fans will usually break during the first freeze of winter due to a hair line crack. Thats what I have heard.
Good Luck JMach1
Old 04-30-2006, 03:37 PM

Originally Posted by CoedNaked
Wasn't there a few threads about guys having issues with overheating due to running the electric fan in the Summer, and having to switch to the stock fan until the fall to keep things cool?

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/show...hlight=flx-165

I am certainly in that boat. My FLX-165 is gonna have to come off in a couple of weeks. I haven't read about any overheating issues with the taurus fan. However, the taurus fan draws a very large amount of juice (40 amps IIRC), compared to the flexalite's 10 amps. It'll put a hurtin' on your alt. (but at least it won't turn into a grenade).

I can't believe that fan bracket is so expensive. Is there an aftermarket alternative?
Old 04-30-2006, 04:36 PM
Contributing Member

I have run a Taurus fan for over a year now with no issues at all. I wheel in the desert her in So Cal and it can get warm. I installed an aftermarket temp guage so I could better monitor the coolant temp.

I would recommend it to anyone.
Old 04-30-2006, 05:14 PM

V RUNNERS fan exploded too.
Old 04-30-2006, 09:41 PM
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by ChickenLover
However, the taurus fan draws a very large amount of juice (40 amps IIRC), compared to the flexalite's 10 amps. It'll put a hurtin' on your alt. (but at least it won't turn into a grenade).
That's only on high. On low it's probably comparable to normal electric fans. When I had my taurus fan I never really had to use high. Mine did (probably still does) overheat, but it's not the fan's fault.
Old 05-01-2006, 04:40 AM
Contributing Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I think the key with e-fans is how good the shroud fits, since the shroud funnels the airflow through the radiator. No funnel or a bad funnel and the flow will go a less restrictive path.

Quick Reply: V6 Fan explosions!