Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Truck is popping out of 1st and 3rd - tranny time?

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2007, 05:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yeah, you probably need syncros. My truck was doing this forever, another pretty much sure sign that you need a rebuild, is if the the trans is really noisy in neutral, that means that your bearings are bad. I had mine rebuilt for $995 including new clutch, pressure plate, and throwout bearing. I dont think they changed the shifter bushing though, cause every once and a while it will still pop out, but you know, I am going to use marlins kit in the near future (after I graduate UTI) and do it right!! (and change the bushing)

Another thing, I decided to start holding mine in too, but after it popped out and really hurt my hand, I decided that isnt good!! I would schedule a rebuild!

Last edited by 1989toy4wd; 04-18-2007 at 05:32 PM.
Old 04-21-2007, 09:29 AM

Originally Posted by Asha'man
There's massive bearing noise in all gears anyway, which is why I have the spare tranny. It came out of an '85 Runner with 140K on it, and supposedly ran great when the guy pulled it, so I'm not that worried.

1. Bearing noise with engine running and tranny in nuetral would indicate a bad input bearing.

2. Bearing noise in all gears except 4th would indicate a bad bearing on the countershaft.

3. Bearing noise in all gears would indicate a bad bearing on the output shaft.

Popping out of gear can be caused by the tranny not being properly torqued to the engine; or worn bearings in the tranny allowing slop in the input, output, and countershafts; or bent shifter forks.

Since you indicate the you have massive bearing noise in all gears, and it jumps out of gear in 1st and 3rd then I would say rebuild the tranny with new Japanese bearings and syncros.

Last edited by Redneck Scout; 04-21-2007 at 09:38 AM.
Old 04-21-2007, 10:35 AM

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Wow..education time...Thank you for laying it out like this, Redneck Scout.

So, if the bearings WERE good, though, and it was popping out of gear would it at all indicate syncros? I had thought that (if the bearings were good) if the syncros were bad...any one or two of them...there would also be some associated grinding given the action of the syncros. Please school me.
Old 04-24-2007, 08:10 AM

Originally Posted by thook
Wow..education time...Thank you for laying it out like this, Redneck Scout.

So, if the bearings WERE good, though, and it was popping out of gear would it at all indicate syncros? I had thought that (if the bearings were good) if the syncros were bad...any one or two of them...there would also be some associated grinding given the action of the syncros. Please school me.
Syncros simply help line up the teeth on the gears between shifts. If you had bad syncros then it would grind alot when you tried to shift into a different gear.

Lets say that your second gear syncros is bad. You push the clutch in(all the way to the floor) and shift from first to second the gears grind and it doesn't want to go into gear.

If it was my tranny I would replace both the syncros and bearings at the same time. You have to dismantle the entire tranny anyway. When I rebiult my W56 I used a crappy Haynes manuel and read this link several times. I know its for a different tranny but it is basically the same setup.

http://www.4x4wire.com/toyota/tech/r151f/
Old 04-24-2007, 08:17 AM

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Thanks, guy, but it didn't really answer my question. I know what the syncros do and that it would grind if they were bad, but would it also pop out of gear?
Old 04-24-2007, 08:54 AM

Originally Posted by thook
Thanks, guy, but it didn't really answer my question. I know what the syncros do and that it would grind if they were bad, but would it also pop out of gear?
Only if it was severly damaged not allowing the hub to slide completely over it. Which would be very unlikely so I would say no.
Old 04-24-2007, 09:05 AM
Contributing Member

Received 34 Likes on 14 Posts
When I bought my truck in 2000, it had 92k miles on it, and occasionally would jump out of gear, mostly when I was taking off in first with pretty strong accelleration. It went on like this for over 100k miles more when first gear was finally shot & I had to have it replaced. Each time it pops out, it takes a bit of the gear with it. It will eventually ruin the gear. If the shifter bushing doesn't cure your problem, you will have to have the gear replaced in all likelyhood.
Old 09-21-2007, 04:25 PM

my 96 4runner with 213k was popping out of 1st 3rd and 5th. replaced the shifter bushing with a factory piece and the trany feels great now.

One thing i noticed was that even before i replaced the bushing there wasnt too much slop when the shifter was engaged in gear like one would think when the bushing is bad. but after replacing it the shifting feel is much more positive.

Even if you do replace tranny do the bushing as well.