86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Trouble removing window tint

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2011, 10:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Trouble removing window tint

I know most of it will scrape right off with a razor...my question is, how do you remove it from the 2 rearmost windows of a 1st-gen 4Runner? There's a gradation to the glass, and I don't want to scrape off any of those little "buttons." I've already peeled 1 layer off, but there's an even thinner, stickier layer left behind that I cannot peel by hand.

Help???
Old 07-28-2011, 10:51 PM
Contributing Member

Yep....PITA. I pulled tint off a couple vehicles in the past, and I wont do it again. Some things I just prefer to pay someone else to do. However, you say you removed one layer, but there's more left? Were there two layers of tint? Or, is the film left over just a layer of glue? I used the razor blade to remove the bulk of the tint, then some commercial citrus cleaner for the glue. It was time consuming, to say the least. I bet the pros have methods that make all us novices look like fools. Good luck...
Old 07-28-2011, 11:00 PM

Originally Posted by malteserunner
Yep....PITA. I pulled tint off a couple vehicles in the past, and I wont do it again. Some things I just prefer to pay someone else to do. However, you say you removed one layer, but there's more left? Were there two layers of tint? Or, is the film left over just a layer of glue? I used the razor blade to remove the bulk of the tint, then some commercial citrus cleaner for the glue. It was time consuming, to say the least. I bet the pros have methods that make all us novices look like fools. Good luck...
It looks like the tint that was put on there was in 2 layers: a thicker, outer layer and a thinner, inner layer that adheres to the glass itself. I can't just "razor" it out, because of the little gradation dots on the OEM Toyota glass.
Old 07-28-2011, 11:31 PM

use a stainless steel blade as they will not scratch your glass . If it still doesnt want to come off you can spray windex on it and put a piece of a trash bag on it and park it in direct sunlight and it will create a steaming effect and will come off much easier.. Try youtube for a visual.. i do this very often
Old 07-29-2011, 03:26 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Might be easier to find the glass from another top and just swap it... Otherwise I would leave it there.. There is no law about having tint on those windows... Most of the new SUVs made these days have those rear quarter windows tinted from the factory.
Old 07-29-2011, 04:06 AM
Banned

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
WD40 liberally and scrub.

:wabbit2:
Old 07-29-2011, 04:25 AM

windex and 000 steel wool pads
Old 07-29-2011, 05:02 AM

Goo-Gone, spray it on, wait 10 minutes, and then scrub it off.
Old 07-29-2011, 09:42 AM

ez off oven cleaner
Old 07-29-2011, 11:01 AM

steamer?
Old 07-29-2011, 11:45 AM

Originally Posted by RogueYota
steamer?
we have a commercial steamer that works awesome for large windows or rear windows that have defrosters

classicautotint.com
Old 07-29-2011, 05:00 PM

Originally Posted by Classictint
use a stainless steel blade as they will not scratch your glass . If it still doesnt want to come off you can spray windex on it and put a piece of a trash bag on it and park it in direct sunlight and it will create a steaming effect and will come off much easier.. Try youtube for a visual.. i do this very often
It's on the rearmost glass, which has little "stubbs" on it...I don't want to scrap all of them off with the blade.

Originally Posted by b4wheeler
Might be easier to find the glass from another top and just swap it... Otherwise I would leave it there.. There is no law about having tint on those windows... Most of the new SUVs made these days have those rear quarter windows tinted from the factory.
I know that there's no law. I just don't like the 2 decades-old purple tint on there. Besides, it's coming off in little jagged pieces already.

Originally Posted by waskillywabbit
WD40 liberally and scrub.

:wabbit2:
Really? I will have to try this. But scrub with what?

Originally Posted by 93toyrunner2
Goo-Gone, spray it on, wait 10 minutes, and then scrub it off.
Wabbit's first, then this idea next if Wabbit's doesn't work.

Originally Posted by iselloil
ez off oven cleaner
Serious???
Old 07-29-2011, 05:55 PM

Dont worry about scrapping off the dot matrix perimeter its etched on the glass and cannot be removed if youre near Oc come by my shop and ill help you remove it .. Free of course

Classicautotint.com
Old 07-29-2011, 06:01 PM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Oven cleaner is safe for glass and will get the job done in 5 minutes, just undo the little nuts that hold the glass on and pull it off. Unless someone else "resealed" it, i should just be 1/4" foam sealing the glass to the shell.

BTW - when I removed the graphics off my '88 4runner, I used oven cleaner to get the adhesive off (also relatively safe on paint as long as you rinse it off). It turned the 20 yr old plastic like residue into mush that was easily scraped off with an old credit card.
Old 07-29-2011, 10:32 PM

Pros use steam.
Old 07-29-2011, 11:04 PM

Originally Posted by Classictint
Dont worry about scrapping off the dot matrix perimeter its etched on the glass and cannot be removed if youre near Oc come by my shop and ill help you remove it .. Free of course

Classicautotint.com
Thank you for the offer, but I'm about 500 miles north of you.
Old 07-29-2011, 11:30 PM

I used a heat gun and a piece of steel to protect plastic. Of course you want to go slower than faster when applying this method and use the lower setting. Soetimes it pulls right off, other times I used a blade.
Old 07-30-2011, 06:32 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
The little dots are tougher than they look. You can use a razor if you don't get too aggressive.
Old 07-30-2011, 10:22 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
ammonia based cleaner and steam... works wonders

scraping it with a razor blade takes too long and makes a big mess... plus you risk scratching the glass!
Old 08-16-2011, 05:47 PM

I've tried everything now without results, except for the steam. I always end up just scraping little bits at a time, which would take me countless hours to do!

Anybody else?

Quick Reply: Trouble removing window tint