Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

TPS adjustment experts I need your help.

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2010, 06:46 PM

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by LifterCatcher
The TPS plug is facing the passenger side of the truck when the TB is installed. So the terminals are facing the manifold end.

Do not even tell me it is installed BACKWARDS! OR this would mean that the terminals are actually upside down compared to 4crawlers page, and my E2 would actually be the very top terminal and not the bottom?
No, no......it's installed how it's supposed to be. But, what I've been trying to say is that you're testing at the wrong terminals. I gathered that by your readings. 5.9 would by typical for the VTA circuit. But, the fact that your not getting no movement reading at all was the clue. Unless your TPS is totally screwed up, the meter should move in it's reading when that circuit is activated by throttle movement. So, yeah....your E2 terminal on your TPS is on top.
Old 09-10-2010, 07:02 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by thook
No, no......it's installed how it's supposed to be. But, what I've been trying to say is that you're testing at the wrong terminals. I gathered that by your readings. 5.9 would by typical for the VTA circuit. But, the fact that your not getting no movement reading at all was the clue. Unless your TPS is totally screwed up, the meter should move in it's reading when that circuit is activated by throttle movement. So, yeah....your E2 terminal on your TPS is on top.
MAN I OWN YOU ONE!

You are 100% on it my E2 is on the top and it is now all starting to make sense! I get a reading of 0.85 when connecting my real VTA to E2. So the TPS is off a little at this setting. I am go adjust the TPS to read 0.50 or 500 instead of the .85 which is actually over spec or just a little out of range for VTA to E2.

Wow this is much easier to understand once you connect the Multimeter to the correct terminals.
Old 09-10-2010, 08:09 PM

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

Nice goin' boys! What a show!

See I told ya thook had ya covered!

'till the break o' dawn!
Old 09-10-2010, 10:09 PM

Originally Posted by LifterCatcher
MAN I OWN YOU ONE!

You are 100% on it my E2 is on the top and it is now all starting to make sense! I get a reading of 0.85 when connecting my real VTA to E2. So the TPS is off a little at this setting. I am go adjust the TPS to read 0.50 or 500 instead of the .85 which is actually over spec or just a little out of range for VTA to E2.

Wow this is much easier to understand once you connect the Multimeter to the correct terminals.
Is the throttle plate closed when you get this reading? If so, .85 is not out of range. And, where do you get .50/500? I mean, you aren't going to be able to adjust the TPS to get that specific reading. Your only adjustment is the IDL switch circuit so that the ECU will register the throttle plate's idle position. That's all your concerned with there. Once that's in range, all the other circuits will fall where they fall. They just have to be somewhere within their respective specified ranges. Then, with all that squared away, you have to make sure your dynamic test passes with the VTA circuit. When the throttle opens, the resistance in the VTA circuit should rise incremently until about midway of throttle opening and steadily begin to drop off approaching WOT. All with no dropouts....ie, 1-2-3-4-5-4-3-2-1 and not 1-2-3-2-5-3-4-3-2.......something to that effect. (Those numbers are arbitrary, btw. Just illustrating.)
Old 09-11-2010, 04:50 AM

Okay. I see where you were going with your post. I read 4crawler's page. The 500 range is for 22re's and not 3vze's. As well, the specs Mr. Brown gives for the 3vze is different than what I find here.....http://personal.utulsa.edu/~nathan-b...93throttle.pdf.......which is what I'm going by. I don't suppose it matters much (the difference) as long as the TPS is working.
Old 09-11-2010, 05:11 AM

Originally Posted by MudHippy

Nice goin' boys! What a show!

See I told ya thook had ya covered!

'till the break o' dawn!
The same confusion has happened to me when I first started learning until I realized the diagram differences. It's happened to others on YT, also.

BTW, I believe the tolerance differences between Mr. Brown's chart and the one in the link I posted is due to the year model difference. His seems to be for older than atleast '92 vehicles. I'm going by his illustrations, of course. The part number for the earlier year models is also different. So, different units with different tolerance specs.
Old 09-11-2010, 07:41 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Is the throttle plate closed when you get this reading? If so, .85 is not out of range. And, where do you get .50/500? I mean, you aren't going to be able to adjust the TPS to get that specific reading. Your only adjustment is the IDL switch circuit so that the ECU will register the throttle plate's idle position. That's all your concerned with there. Once that's in range, all the other circuits will fall where they fall. They just have to be somewhere within their respective specified ranges. Then, with all that squared away, you have to make sure your dynamic test passes with the VTA circuit. When the throttle opens, the resistance in the VTA circuit should rise incremently until about midway of throttle opening and steadily begin to drop off approaching WOT. All with no dropouts....ie, 1-2-3-4-5-4-3-2-1 and not 1-2-3-2-5-3-4-3-2.......something to that effect. (Those numbers are arbitrary, btw. Just illustrating.)
Thook,

Thank you for that explanation, I guess I should have been a little more clear in my post earlier about the .50 reading. I did notice after posting about .50 that 4Crawler was referring to his engine which is a 22RE.

After finally getting the terminals figured out last night my TPS was actually pretty far out of whack in regards to the IDL to E2 setting, but VTA to E2 was within spec. When hooking the multimeter to VTA and E2 I was getting a reading of .85/850 (which is within spec) however when I would hook the multimeter to IDL and E2 and slowly opened the throttle to see where the multimeter would read infinite the throttle would have to move over a half inch before it would go infinite. Stock specs state it should move .80mm from closed so the TPS was more that a little off.

Instead of trying to set VTA and E2 first I followed a more simpler approach posted by FranenYota on 4Crawelers page:

1. Loosen both screws attaching TPS to throttle body.
2. Attach multi-meter to TPS terminals IDL and E2 (the bottom two terminals on the TPS). You can use alligator clips to make this easier or use small ¼” lengths of vacuum hose to hold them on
3. Insert 0.85mm (22RE) or 0.77mm (3VZE) feeler gauge between throttle stop screw and throttle plate (see picture)
4. Move TPS body CW/CCW until ohms reading on multimeter is infinite (open)
5. Move the TPS body very slowly CCW until you find the end of the resistive strip, the meter will indicate <2.3Kohms of resistance
6. Move the TPS body extremely slowly in the CW direction until the meter goes to open/infinite again
7. Tighten the top TPS screw being very careful not to disturb the adjustment
8. Remove the feeler gauge and insert a 0.57mm (22RE) or 0.50mm (3VZE) feeler gauge
9. The meter should (hopefully) indicate between 0 and 2.3Kohms of resistance, if it does tighten the bottom screw and reconnect the electrical connector, if not go back to step 4 and try again
10. To check whether the adjustment was successful start the engine and insert the timing test jumper, if the idle speed decreases audibly it is working normally.

I followed the directions and was able to set the TPS IDL-E2 using .80mm feeler gauge I didn't have a .77mm. Once I was able to tune in the TPS with the .77mm I took it out and used a .50mm and the TPS reading was under 2.3kohms. I then moved the multimeter to VTA and E2 and got a reading of .77 with the throttle closed and 4.7k at WOT. So by setting IDL and E2 it lowered my VTA and E2 just a little, thus bringing the entire range back within spec.

Tightened down the TPS, double and triple checked all my settings again and installed everything back in the truck. Crossed my fingers and she fired right up. Took it around the block and she seems to drive tons better, it was a short trip but I will have a better idea after driving to and from work today.

So all in all it seems that my TPS is working just fine, but was out of adjustment.

Okay. I see where you were going with your post. I read 4crawler's page. The 500 range is for 22re's and not 3vze's. As well, the specs Mr. Brown gives for the 3vze is different than what I find here.....http://personal.utulsa.edu/~nathan-b...93throttle.pdf.......which is what I'm going by. I don't suppose it matters much (the difference) as long as the TPS is working.
The same confusion has happened to me when I first started learning until I realized the diagram differences. It's happened to others on YT, also.

BTW, I believe the tolerance differences between Mr. Brown's chart and the one in the link I posted is due to the year model difference. His seems to be for older than atleast '92 vehicles. I'm going by his illustrations, of course. The part number for the earlier year models is also different. So, different units with different tolerance specs.
I hope confusion and this post will help others figure out the TPS issues if they run into this problem.

Once again thank you Thook, MudHippy and anyone else who chimed in to help me out. Beers on me if we ever meet

Chris

Last edited by LifterCatcher; 09-11-2010 at 07:45 AM. Reason: can't spell worth a crap
Old 09-11-2010, 12:55 PM

Ah, make it a Guinness, lad, and we'll get on famously, no?

Glad you got it all worked out, Chris. See ya 'round!