86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Todays Radiators?

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2017, 01:00 PM

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Todays Radiators?

Well the day started off with thoughts of replacing the coolant and thermostat in my 87.
I soon discovered damage to (3) tubes near the top driver side, Called my local radiator shop to see about replacing the core.
What did cost $80 12 years ago now runs $450 today. (2 core) They might be able to repair for $150.
So after my wife revived my with a bucket of cold water I started searching...Found lots of plastic radiators (2 core) and a few on Ebay that claim to be 100% aluminum. (3 core $165-$199)
Toyota of Orlando quoted me a replacement for $530 plus tax (2 core)

Its been years since I've given any thought about radiators. I tried searching the web and like usual its information overload.
Anyone have any thoughts about the pros and cons of Plastic and Aluminum?

Thanks.

Last edited by TrafficTechII; 04-24-2017 at 01:04 PM. Reason: add info
Old 04-24-2017, 02:59 PM

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts
Ok, Ill jump in. I have two plastic/aluminum radiators. I put on in my 90 pickup about 6yrs ago, I think, it might be longer than that. Still just fine, bought it at auto zone. The other I put in a ford f150 about two years ago and it was the same as the one I took out that had lasted 20years, its a 95 model. I suppose the all aluminums are better made, but I don't know how they could work better than these plastic/all jobs have for me. They both have a lifetime warranty but that makes little difference to the guy broke down in the middle of nowhere.
Old 04-24-2017, 05:02 PM

Originally Posted by fdp101452
Ok, Ill jump in. I have two plastic/aluminum radiators. I put on in my 90 pickup about 6yrs ago, I think, it might be longer than that. Still just fine, bought it at auto zone. The other I put in a ford f150 about two years ago and it was the same as the one I took out that had lasted 20years, its a 95 model. I suppose the all aluminum are better made, but I don't know how they could work better than these plastic/all jobs have for me. They both have a lifetime warranty but that makes little difference to the guy broke down in the middle of nowhere.
Thanks for the reply.
So far I have found plastics with (2) cores for $109 and all Aluminum with (2) or (3) cores starting at $165 to $199 on ebay.
Old 04-24-2017, 05:36 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Did you check with Prater Radiator on Michigan St? They have my 89 radiator there now. My family has been dealing with them since the 70's
Old 04-24-2017, 05:42 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This is what I'm going with. Not gonna lie, the AutoZone warranty is sweet though. I buy brake boosters from them because I can just stomp away when I want and if I bust the diaphragm I just take it in and get another.

http://www.lowrangeoffroad.com/1984-1990-toyota-pickup-22r-22re-2lt-a-t-m-t-economy-all-aluminum-radiator-teu-are.html
Old 04-25-2017, 12:29 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Radiator barn use to sell all metal two and three core radiators. I brass radiator should in theory be indefinitely rebuildable. I've had my rebuilt twice now...
Old 04-25-2017, 01:16 PM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

I have fairly New all Copper and Brass radiators in all my Vehicles .

I had one Aluminum Radiator Fail ended up a$600.00 towing bill

Over the years I had made a few repairs on the Copper brass ones with a propane Torch Flux and Solder

Everyone has there reasons for what they like better
Old 04-25-2017, 02:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've heard lots of good things about Champion radiators. I just a placed an order for one.

http://www.championradiators.com/Toy...ator-1984-1991
Old 04-26-2017, 07:18 AM

Toyota stills manufactures Radiators for our vehicles, get an original one. Alloy and Plastic on these engines are not a good idea. I had a 3 Alloy and Plastic radiators that where a pain in the a.. In the end i went to Toyota and i got the original radiator. It was made by Denso in August 2015.
Old 04-26-2017, 06:04 PM

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
I had a $95 plastic spectra put in back in 2012 and it's held up fine. It's been out of the truck for a rebuild and still looks good inside and out. I know it won't last nearly as long as the original did though. If you're planning on keeping this truck for life, over time a copper/brass is probably the most reliable and the cheapest option. Nothing else will last 20-30 years with no maintenance.
Old 04-27-2017, 10:07 AM

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Purchased plastic aluminum radiator for 90 Tr4 from NAPA over 6 years ago and couple months ago had engine rebuilt where shop tested and determined radiator was good.
Old 04-27-2017, 04:44 PM

Received 118 Likes on 67 Posts
CSF is the company that supplies LCEngineering with all their radiators. they make good quality brass units.
Old 04-27-2017, 05:28 PM

Received 570 Likes on 449 Posts
My truck has a CSF radiator that was put in about 7 years ago and is doing just fine. It looks high quality, just like the original. The drain cock could be better designed though as it lets coolant spray everywhere when you loosen it.

Even though I prefer the brass radiators like OEM and CSF, I feel that the plastic & aluminum radiators aren't too bad considering that all new cars are made with them.

I have no experience with the all aluminum radiators.

I would personally buy a copper & brass radiator but as long as the quality of the radiator is decent, I don't think you can go wrong with any of these options.

Old 04-27-2017, 05:35 PM

I would recommend staying away from Napa and spectra radiators (they have the plastic top and bottom), My boss bought a new Napa radiator (rebranded spectra) about a year and a half ago. Yes they have a lifetime warranty, but it gets annoying when you keep having to swap them out. First one I put it, we tried several different radiator caps for (all brand new, it takes the larger chevy style, not the smaller toyota style) every single one leaked and originally I thought it was where the cap seals to the radiator) warrantied out the radiator, next one had the same leak, warrantied out the radiator, next one leaked as well, this time I noticed it wasnt where I originally thought, it was actually leaking at the base of the filler neck, the others might have been leaking there as well, not sure, no way to check now, this last one so far is not leaking and I havent noticed an antifreeze smell outside of the vehicle this time. while changing a radiator isnt hard, it does get annoying constantly warranting them out and changing them constantly, especilly when they are brand new. Maybe I am the only person that has had bad luck with spectra but I sincerely doubt it considering how many I went through before I got a decent one. I wish I shopped around first and got a better radiator, but hindsight is 20/20. I do know if this one fails I will replace it with an ll metal one, possibly from LCE, expensive compared to the one I bought (about twice as much) but I am tired of replacing this radiator
Old 04-27-2017, 05:39 PM

btw if you live in Cali, I wouldn't buy a radiator from csf, they are known to cause cancer in california. If you live in another state you should be fine though. I also beleive that in California breathing causes cancer too, so if you live there, don't breath
Old 04-27-2017, 07:40 PM

Received 118 Likes on 67 Posts
Originally Posted by Reed23
btw if you live in Cali, I wouldn't buy a radiator from csf, they are known to cause cancer in california. If you live in another state you should be fine though. I also beleive that in California breathing causes cancer too, so if you live there, don't breath
This is true, can confirm. *coughs up ball of smog colored phlegm".
Old 04-27-2017, 08:09 PM

No cancer problems here, although I do live in Oregon.

Originally Posted by space-junk
This is true, can confirm. *coughs up ball of smog colored phlegm".
Everything causes cancer in California.... even the keyboard I am typing on...

Anyway, I think radiators are one of those "you get what you pay for" parts.

Old 04-28-2017, 06:09 PM

Cool

Thanks to everyone for the input.
I ended up taking flg8r22 advice and went to Prater Radiator in Orlando. The guy (Jeff) was straight up honest. (I didnt think many were still around). He wanted to try and fix mine
before he sold me a new brass/copper one. They cleaned, fixed, tested and repainted for $58 out the door.

btw if you live in Cali, I wouldn't buy a buy adiator from csf, they are known to cause cancer in california. If you live in another state you should be fine though. I also beleive that in California breathing causes cancer too, so if you live there, don't breath
LOL. Here in Florida it nothing causes cancer but it does make you wonder how you can turn your Yota into a boat. I think I have it figured out.
Old 04-28-2017, 11:48 PM

Originally Posted by TrafficTechII
Thanks to everyone for the input.
I ended up taking flg8r22 advice and went to Prater Radiator in Orlando. The guy (Jeff) was straight up honest. (I didnt think many were still around). He wanted to try and fix mine
before he sold me a new brass/copper one. They cleaned, fixed, tested and repainted for $58 out the door.

LOL. Here in Florida it nothing causes cancer but it does make you wonder how you can turn your Yota into a boat. I think I have it figured out.
Awesome! That is the nice thing about the copper / brass radiators... you can repair rather than replace.

This reminds me of the "Toybota" Top Gear episode.

Old 04-29-2017, 04:37 AM

Originally Posted by old87yota
Awesome! That is the nice thing about the copper / brass radiators... you can repair rather than replace.

This reminds me of the "Toybota" Top Gear episode.

Yes Sir. I was surprised he could fix it.

My hero

What else can be said..