86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Timing Chain help!

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2008, 02:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Timing Chain help!

Hey guys, I've had my new Yota about a month now, Driving it home from a show in NC on Sunday it started making some noises, most noticible at when cold. I started poking around and figured it was a bearing in the alternator going or maybe a water pump of fan clutch. Even put a stethoscope on it and was sure it was the water pump, As a final check I took off all the drive belts and started it and its still doing it, Im thinking now the timing chain is slapping around in there.Its not the regular valve tick or injectors, Its a rattle sound that changes with rpms and comes and goes randomly. This is my daily driver, no other vehicle and I drive about 350-450 miles a week, What are my best options, I work both jobs every day this week so Im thinking I am going to let it sit and try to get rides to both jobs, Maybe first thing Sat morn I'll have time to take off the valve cover, how much tension should be on the chain and what are my best options for fixing the problem, I've rear many horror stories about slack chains wearing holes in water jackets etc. I just need a vehicle back and of course this happens the week Im low on funds cause I missed a few days of work and went to a truck show. Any options are greatly appreciated.

Edit: Truck is a 94 2wd with a 22re

Last edited by ShortyzKustomz; 10-28-2008 at 02:28 PM.
Old 10-28-2008, 02:40 PM

22re with how many miles? all you need to do is take the valve cover off, and see if you can see the two guides.

my 22r made it to 185k before it wore a hole through the timing cover, by then i had half the passenger side, and nothing left past the top bolt on the driver side.
Old 10-28-2008, 02:56 PM

It only has 140k, Doesnt seem like much more then oil changes etc were done, I just put new cap, rotor, and msd wires, ngk plugs, fuel filter and pcv in it last week. I had plans for doing alot of maintnence stuff here soon once I found a winter beater and got some funds, But this kinda puts a damper on things, Looking for beaters on craigslist right now. It kinda surprises me though, my 22r in my 86 had 243k on it and it looked to be original chain and guides when the head gasket went on it and I built it up
Old 10-29-2008, 06:27 PM

Anyone? Whats my best option for places to get parts, I've look at some LC kits? We have a basic ol kit at work, But I like upgrading at the same time. I used some engnbldr parts before and was very happy, has anyone used their timing set and what all is included? I plan on metal guides, chain, and all the goodies, and a new cover, as well as a water pump at the same time. I've been doing alot of research and printing pics etc on here and other sites, Any thing else I should replace while Im at it?

Last edited by ShortyzKustomz; 10-29-2008 at 07:09 PM.
Old 10-30-2008, 08:32 AM

I got a kit with everything except water pump from cnsautoparts. They are an online ebay seller. It was around $60-70. I had the same issue, it would tick around 2000-2400 rpm and that is the only range I could here it from. If you pull the valve cover, you will be able to see if the drivers side guide is worn through.
Old 10-30-2008, 08:41 AM

Get a timing chain kit from engnbldr with a metal backed guide and a new timing cover

sounds like a broken drivers side timing guide to me
Old 10-30-2008, 09:08 AM

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
hmm im in the same situation. my timing chain is going and my truck is my dd, trying to get time off so i can either do it myself or take it to my uncles shop to get it done is kinda hard. but so far ive been driving it for a while and nothing has happened i just avoid 2000-2100 rpm and its fine..
Old 10-31-2008, 05:34 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The engnbldr kit is the way to go. An LC double row chain upgrade is probably not worth the money, although Toyota should have kept the double row chain in the 22r. A 14 year old truck will probably need a new engine before the engnbldr chain wears out.
Old 10-31-2008, 07:58 PM

Your chain tensioner is going out. To change it you have to get right down to the chain and sprockets so you might as well change to steel guides and new chain while you are in there. Engnbldr is the best.
Old 10-31-2008, 08:31 PM

Which kit is it? I see a few timing sets, Theres one listed as Timing set with cover for $88? Is that right
Old 10-31-2008, 08:59 PM

Received 50 Likes on 40 Posts
REplaced my timing chaina year ago. It was doing the rattle at startup, and I found out about the "death rattle" of 22 timing chains here. Did the job at 153,000 miles. Should have done it sooner. Part of the drive side guide was (is) somewhere in the pan. The cover had two 3/16'' grooves looked like a milling machine cut. Not through to water yet. Chain must have been really slapping around.

I got the timing kit from rockauto--sprockets, chain, tensioner, guides, maybe some gaskst I don't rememeber--; got a cover from engnbldr, some miscellaneous from Toyota.

Used this
http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/CheapTri...ingChain.shtml

and FSM to do the job. Went pretty smooth. Only hitch was the two pan to cover screws up front would not line up. Left them out and prayed. No leaks!

Only things I'd do different would be get a new oil pump and metal guides, and do a dry mockup to be sure stuff fit before I used the RTV and gaskets. Good Luck!