Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Throwout bearing? You tell me...

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2008, 09:15 PM

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Just watch for grease coming out of the bearing cap seals. If there's moisture and/or rust, it's toast already. Time to replace it then.

As well, a dry UJ making noise is already worn and damaged. You could get by without replacing one for a little while, though, if you're not yanking on it real hard like towing or crawling. I've had them continue on for months until it finally starts making a "clink" sound when accelerating. By that time, the needle bearings are crumbling.
Old 09-07-2008, 09:16 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
are your eyelids so heavy that i could blind you with dental floss?
Old 09-07-2008, 09:17 PM

Originally Posted by Jay351
Well, I will do my best checking the u-joints tomorrow..

So im gonna:

Drop shaft, put shaft at odd angles and turn flange to see if the u-joint is binding... right?

Gonna need you guys to hold me hand for tonight... Remember... fried brain! mmmmmm fried grain... wait what.?! I've finally lost it
Yep. When you rotate it and if you find it to frozen up or stiff, you can try greasing it to see if it will remedy the situation. But, like I said above, eventually it goes out.

And honestly......I think you have more than one thing going on.

Last edited by thook; 09-07-2008 at 09:19 PM.
Old 09-07-2008, 09:20 PM
Contributing Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by TOYOTA 1
are your eyelids so heavy that i could blind you with dental floss?
Im past that point, I just cant concintrate.. or spell...

Originally Posted by thook
Yep. When you rotate it and if you find it to frozen up or stiff, you can try greasing it to see if it will remedy the situation. But, like I said above, eventually it goes out.

Well, that sounds like a plan. I will get-r-done tomorrow. Any other ideas on the bearing noises?
Should I just look for a used transmission?
Old 09-07-2008, 09:22 PM

As well, a dry UJ making noise is already worn and damaged. You could get by without replacing one for a little while, though, if you're not yanking on it real hard like towing or crawling. I've had them continue on for months until it finally starts making a "clink" sound when accelerating. By that time, the needle bearings are crumbling.

true, though i usually run mine until they start vibrating.

as soon as they start a vibration, i replace them.

does that sound lazy lol?
Old 09-07-2008, 09:25 PM
Contributing Member

Well.. you do replace them... so kinda?
Old 09-07-2008, 09:27 PM

Im past that point, I just cant concintrate.. or spell...

Well, that sounds like a plan. I will get-r-done tomorrow. Any other ideas on the bearing noises?
Should I just look for a used transmission?
Are you kidding, Jay? Why would you look for another transmission if it's just the input shaft bearing? That's no big deal.......especially for a tranny shop.

When you're thinking more clearly, run through the suggestions above to pinpoint what all is going on. Keep some simple notes so you don't lose track of what all you find under any given condition. Then, post back your notes.
Old 09-07-2008, 09:27 PM

Well.. you do replace them... so kinda?
i can live with that.. lol
Old 09-07-2008, 09:32 PM
Contributing Member

Are you kidding, Jay? Why would you look for another transmission if it's just the input shaft bearing? That's no big deal.......especially for a tranny shop.

When you're thinking more clearly, run through the suggestions above to pinpoint what all is going on. Keep some simple notes so you don't lose track of what all you find under any given condition. Then, post back your notes.

Well, if I have to take it to a tranny shop, its gonna be a good sized bill. Considering I could get a used r150 w/ transfercase for about 300 bucks...

I will get to checking everything tomorrow (or tuesday), then go from there..

Could I go the input shaft bearing myself, or is it one of "those" jobs....?
Old 09-07-2008, 09:32 PM

true, though i usually run mine until they start vibrating.

as soon as they start a vibration, i replace them.

does that sound lazy lol?
Lazy? Maybe. But, why not get every ounce of life per $ you've put into one?

I'm kidding, but that is actually what I usually do, too. In fact, I've got the rear diff UJ going out right now on my '86. It's making that pulsating vibration under highway speeds. It's got grease in it, too. I'll be changing it out within the week.
Old 09-07-2008, 09:38 PM

Lazy? Maybe. But, why not get every ounce of life per $ you've put into one?

I'm kidding, but that is actually what I usually do, too. In fact, I've got the rear diff UJ going out right now on my '86. It's making that pulsating vibration under highway speeds. It's got grease in it, too. I'll be changing it out within the week.
hehe, im glad im not the only one, ill bet are pinion/t-cass bearings hate us lol.
Old 09-07-2008, 09:42 PM

Well, if I have to take it to a tranny shop, its gonna be a good sized bill. Considering I could get a used r150 w/ transfercase for about 300 bucks...

I will get to checking everything tomorrow (or tuesday), then go from there..

Could I go the input shaft bearing myself, or is it one of "those" jobs....?
I may be wrong, but I believe you just have to drop the tranny and remove the release bearing and clutch fork, etc. Then the bearing retainer plate that you'll see. Then the bearing should be right there. Take that with a grain of salt and do some checking first, though. I'm just the kind of guy that would try to do it myself and hang on to my tranny. I guess my vehicle and everything about it is a "personal" thing for me....like "it's my babies guts we're talkin' about here!" sort of thing.

But, you know........do whatever you want, eh.
Old 09-07-2008, 09:44 PM

hehe, im glad im not the only one, ill bet are pinion/t-cass bearings hate us lol.
I'm sure. And speaking of which, at some point I need to do those, too....lol
Old 09-07-2008, 09:52 PM

Engh....I dunno Jay. It's looking a little involved. Not that you couldn't do it, but you might not be up for it. Looks like it requires some tranny disassembly.

Like I said, though.....check into it.
Old 09-08-2008, 10:27 AM
Contributing Member

I may be wrong, but I believe you just have to drop the tranny and remove the release bearing and clutch fork, etc. Then the bearing retainer plate that you'll see. Then the bearing should be right there. Take that with a grain of salt and do some checking first, though. I'm just the kind of guy that would try to do it myself and hang on to my tranny. I guess my vehicle and everything about it is a "personal" thing for me....like "it's my babies guts we're talkin' about here!" sort of thing.

But, you know........do whatever you want, eh.

Hmm, well il look at the FSM and see what it says, if I dont think I can do it, I will talk to my backyard mechanic, see if he can do it.. I refuse to bring my truck to an actual shop! 80 bucks an hour for some jerkoff to work on my rig, lame!

No real updates, but I had some time this morning (between classes right now) to do a few tests.

1. truck idling, in nutreal. The only noise I heard was the throwoutbearing (im pretty sure), kind of old/loose bearing noise, not loud at all. Has been like that for a long time.

2. pushing the clutch in slow does nothing.

3. driving slowley in 2nd, letting off the gas yeild the same noise I was talking about eariler. The best way I can describe it, is almost a dirty/worn bearing noise. It also sounds like its comming from the rear of the tranny/carrier bearing area. I was driving with the door open so I can't be too accurate.

When I drop the rear driveshaft to check the ujoints later, I will go through the gears to see if I can replicate the sound. Not sure if I will be able to, its only there for a second when I let off the gas in 1st or 2nd gear. As soon as the truck starts to slow the noise is gone.

But I could hear it every so slightly as I pulled into my driveway, it stopped when I stopped..
Old 09-08-2008, 10:38 AM
Contributing Member

Well the FSM is VERY vauge on the input shaft bearing. If I understand correctly the transmission needs to be taken apart to get the inpuft shaft out.

Could the outputshaft bearing be going instead?
Old 09-08-2008, 10:58 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
the noise stopped when you stopped... as in the truck stopped rolling or you turned the key off?
Old 09-08-2008, 03:57 PM
Contributing Member

When the truck stops rolling, the noise stops. Earlier today, going in reverse yeilded the same noise but VERY loud and constant.

I am just gonna start pulling the rear shaft to look at my u-joints. I will check back when im done...
Old 09-08-2008, 04:30 PM

Stupid double posts.......

Last edited by thook; 09-08-2008 at 04:34 PM.
Old 09-08-2008, 04:34 PM

1. truck idling, in nutreal. The only noise I heard was the throwoutbearing (im pretty sure), kind of old/loose bearing noise, not loud at all. Has been like that for a long time.

2. pushing the clutch in slow does nothing.
If you reread the earlier posts, you'll notice that the symptoms you're describing here does not point to the release bearing. Were it that bearing, you should not notice any noise in neutral and idling, but would when you begin to press in on the clutch pedal. In neutral and idling, it would point to the input shaft bearing. However, I'm confused because you said later the noise stopped when the truck was not mobile. I think...again....you have a couple of different bearing issues.

Quick Reply: Throwout bearing? You tell me...