Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Things to check when getting a dilapidated vehicle back on the road...?

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2016, 07:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Things to check when getting a dilapidated vehicle back on the road...?

Well my 1986 4Runner 22re 5 speed 4x4 has been broke down for a couple years now. Pulled the engine a year ago and slowly, working on it a little here and there, rebuilt it. Now I am reinstalling it and getting SO close to firing it up!

Anyways while putting the Slave cylinder back on I noticed it was leaking from the boot yet another thing to replace! Seems likely with it being bad the clutch master is soon to follow!

So makes me wonder what else should i look at replacing prior to firing this beast up and finally getting it back in the road?

Ways to check the brakes hydraulics? Ie Slamming on the brake pedal and checking for leaks?

Any pieces that degrade over time I should look at?

Tires dry rotted on me but scored a set of 31/10.50r15 on stock rims for a song.

Now after slave starting to leak has me worried other parts may have degraded on me.

Any advice would be appreciated!

Last edited by 4RunnerFreak12; 10-24-2016 at 07:49 PM.
Old 10-24-2016, 08:00 PM

Received 606 Likes on 442 Posts
Brakes, Brakes, Brakes!!!!

The life you save may be mine.
Old 10-24-2016, 08:07 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Vacuum lines and any other lines that were left opened. Dirt daubers love to build in them. I always tape open lines when I'm working on a long term project. Anything with 0-ring seals needs oil flow to lubricate them so keep an eye on your steering and AC fittings for a while after you start it. I also like to turn an engine over by hand a couple rounds after it's set out for a long time just to be sure there isn't a catch in it anywhere.
Old 10-25-2016, 09:12 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Lube
-- Drive Shafts
-- ball joints

check Steering components
--Tire Rods
-- Idler Arm

Just going though this (getting a truck back running) myself....
Its gets expensive!
Old 10-25-2016, 10:15 AM

Yes! Crazy expensive! I don't get how ppl build these $500 trucks I have more then that it little misc things nobody would even notice!

How would u check the tie rod and idler arm? Make sure rubber bushings aren't cracked? Or excessive play?

Fluids for sure. Plan to replace ALL fluids and go through the chassis with my grease gun.

Also now will def check these things I think biggest thing I didn't even think about was power steering pump looks like they are cheap and easy to rebuild diy so will try to squeeze that into the budget.

Sucks Ewong I will seriously justify replacing nearly everything 1 piece at a time! It's like "well if I replace slave cylinder might as well replace the master!"

Its all good tho this is my life long project so will slowly restore and build it to be awesome! Sad most of the damage was caused by my younger self like replacing the intake with one of those ghetto piece together plastic intake kits that does nothing to help performance it worsens it by letting in unmetered air (and MUD! Lol) So have reverted back to stock. Now I actually have a plan for the truck!
Old 10-25-2016, 02:29 PM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

This is one of those things the only way to do it right is start at the bottom and work up

New tires

New Brakes hardware and Hydraulics

Brake lines Fuel lines

Steering and Suspension

Frame and Floor repair

Engine Tune up and most likely all the rubber hoses, belts

Looking over some of my records most of mine not including Labor but for Alignment.

Within $4500. to $5500

Now if you need all the same color that would need to be added in
Old 10-25-2016, 02:40 PM

Originally Posted by Charchee
Vacuum lines and any other lines that were left opened. Dirt daubers love to build in them. I always tape open lines when I'm working on a long term project. Anything with 0-ring seals needs oil flow to lubricate them so keep an eye on your steering and AC fittings for a while after you start it. I also like to turn an engine over by hand a couple rounds after it's set out for a long time just to be sure there isn't a catch in it anywhere.

x10,000

So many hidden insect homes built over the years...
Old 10-25-2016, 02:55 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 4RunnerFreak12
Sucks Ewong I will seriously justify replacing nearly everything 1 piece at a time! It's like "well if I replace slave cylinder might as well replace the master!"
In my case, I am the original owner. It was just sleeping in a barn for 8 years.
Lucklily, I'm not as poor as I was when I first got the truck!
(FYI - I bought my 4Runner new, in 1989)
Old 11-01-2016, 11:02 AM

So how do I "check" the brakes?

Obviously rotors have a lil surface rust. I stood on the brake pedal it held firm and then I inspected for leaks at wheel cylinders, brake lines, and calipers. No leaks. Front brake lines look good. rear should be replaced has tiny cracks. Will likely replace fronts as well tho as per "wyoming9" advice in an old thread on upgrading to v6 brakes.

Now I am considering getting: front and rear rubber brake lines, wheel cylinders, caliper rebuild kit and master cylinder rebuild kit.

QUESTION: Has anyone had luck with these (I will do my own research on "how to") I wanna know if this is something "normal" diy type ppl do or something to leave to the pros? Previously I asked the guy at oreillys about rebuilding my starter and he thought I was crazy. And any of us that have looked on 4crawler know how ridiculously easy it is! So really that's why I gotta ask you guys and get a more competent reply. And yes I know "If I have to ask then I probably shouldn't" but let's face it I am not gonna be able to afford to replace the entire brake system so really if I can get a few "rebuild kits" and take my time to install those kits I may actually be able to make it happen.

Thanks!