Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

THIS is a stupid question....cooalnt for radiator?

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2007, 08:52 AM

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Tacoma750
so i just pull that drain at the bottom of the radiator? or is there something on the engine I have to drain aswell? I have NO CLUE about this. I guess someone said to pull the tstat...do i HAVE to do that

The drain? If you have a valve with a knob that would be the petcock valve...and all you have to do is unscrew it and it will drain. Mine doesn't have one (aftermarket) so I have to pull the bottom hose. Some may tell you to pull the freeze plugs at the block (in fact, I think the manual recommends it), but since you have the Buick motor I couldn't tell you where exactly those are. So, if the coolant doesn't look too bad, you might be able to just get away with backflushing the block. And the thermo.....depends on how bad things look in there and how old the thermo is. If you have no idea, it's a cheap thing to replace. I don't know where it is on your motor, though. Certainly a Haynes manual could tell.
Old 10-31-2007, 08:55 AM

Also...should I use just antifreeze? since its winter now and it gets cold. Is there a differance between antifrezxe and coolant?
Wow. I could be a real s@#t and razz you about that, but I'll be nice instead. Antifreeze and coolant are one and the same. Usually, 50/50 mix....never 100% coolant. But, again, refer to a manual since I don't know your motor.
Old 10-31-2007, 09:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i have a gallon of antifreeze/coolant 50/50 mixture in the garage. it says DO NOT ADD WATER. I think its just a refill or something. I can tell you exactly what it says...you can tell me if it works. I doubt a gallon would be enough
Old 10-31-2007, 09:45 AM
Contributing Member

i have a gallon of antifreeze/coolant 50/50 mixture in the garage. it says DO NOT ADD WATER. I think its just a refill or something. I can tell you exactly what it says...you can tell me if it works. I doubt a gallon would be enough
That would be the pre-mixed stuff you can buy nowadays you can use it for top ups or replacement. 50-50 blend is fine for most areas. I use a 60-40 blend anti frz/wtr to get more protection from freezing and over-heating.
but that is just me...

the differences between the green/red stuff is the green is the normal ethyl-glycol stuff and the red is the new "life-time of the car" wonder stuff which is a different chemical. As a previous post noted they don't get along together.
Old 10-31-2007, 10:02 AM

well would that gallon of 50/50 be enough to fil the whole system?
Old 10-31-2007, 10:15 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by apalmer1
Yep yep, good preaching, you can tell some radiators have run the same coolant for far too long, the paint will begin to erode off the radiator, and you dont even wana know what it makes the components under the valve cover look like if it gets really bad
ohh man mine is that way! ahhhhh..

btw my transmission fluid is like a slight purple color but its kinda dark is this bad?

i think i might have toyota tranny fluid not sure...
Old 10-31-2007, 11:49 AM

Tacoma...
Something I wanted to mention just so you'd make the connection between terminologies. Coolant is antifreeze because, as a coolant, it pulls heat from the motor to be circulated in the radiator for cooling. BUT, since simply using straight water for cooling would freeze there are chemicals added to prevent that. Hence...coolant=antifreeze.

Infiltrator....
Why it's "purple" is odd. I've not seen anything other than red. So, I will assume your tranny fluid was red out of the bottle.
I'm guessing what you're describing as the color is the effect of contaminants interacting with the red hue.....considering, as you said, it is dark. In which case, it is spent and maybe burned. You should smell it and see if it is. Also rub some between your fingers and see what it feels like. I'm sure it will not feel the way it should in consistency.... more like a somewhat thick and slippery lube and not water. If it does smelled burned, you may want to have it checked out as that indicates some damage. On the other hand, if it's shifting normally and not making unusual noises, you're most likely okay and just need a simple change...and possibly a flush. Draining will tell you more. If there's damage, there may be particles in the first bit of fluid that comes out.

Last edited by thook; 10-31-2007 at 11:51 AM.
Old 10-31-2007, 12:44 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
well would that gallon of 50/50 be enough to fil the whole system?
no.

get a gallon of coolant put in about 1/2, fill the radiator to above the core and the bottle w/ water.
now you have the 50/50 for the final fill and some for topping off.
Old 10-31-2007, 02:43 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by thook
Tacoma...
Something I wanted to mention just so you'd make the connection between terminologies. Coolant is antifreeze because, as a coolant, it pulls heat from the motor to be circulated in the radiator for cooling. BUT, since simply using straight water for cooling would freeze there are chemicals added to prevent that. Hence...coolant=antifreeze.

Infiltrator....
Why it's "purple" is odd. I've not seen anything other than red. So, I will assume your tranny fluid was red out of the bottle.
I'm guessing what you're describing as the color is the effect of contaminants interacting with the red hue.....considering, as you said, it is dark. In which case, it is spent and maybe burned. You should smell it and see if it is. Also rub some between your fingers and see what it feels like. I'm sure it will not feel the way it should in consistency.... more like a somewhat thick and slippery lube and not water. If it does smelled burned, you may want to have it checked out as that indicates some damage. On the other hand, if it's shifting normally and not making unusual noises, you're most likely okay and just need a simple change...and possibly a flush. Draining will tell you more. If there's damage, there may be particles in the first bit of fluid that comes out.
I believe Royal Purple brand tranny fluid is coloured purple as a branding thing... the PO might have used that brand... or it could be contaminated as hook suggested...
Old 10-31-2007, 03:05 PM

Originally Posted by aviator
I believe Royal Purple brand tranny fluid is coloured purple as a branding thing... the PO might have used that brand... or it could be contaminated as Thook suggested...
OH....I didn't think of that. Right, they do make ATF...but, I don't know if it's purple. I've never seen it.

(I learned to mod quotes recently. Can you tell? )
Old 10-31-2007, 03:32 PM

From what I've gotten to know (little experience with Toy a/t's but a lot with chev's) if the fluid is dark at all (brown, purple-ish, etc.) it means it is old and possibly that it has gotten hot at some point in time. As far as coolant, I replace mine once a year whether it looks good or not, that stuff gets very corrosive over time, I've seen it bore holes in tstat housings after just a few years of low maintenance. Toyota red, I didn't know it it existed until I found this site, I don't think I've even seen mention of it on Pirate lol. I have always ran the green, and with regular changes no problems. If you leave it in too long it can eat at the head showing symptoms of an HG leak, when in actuality it burns a path through the bottom of the head between cylinders.
Old 10-31-2007, 04:28 PM

Is it necessary to use the Toyata brand coolant. I just replaced my radiator and I used the green stuff and hose water.

Will it hurt to let it go for now and use distilled water next year?
Old 10-31-2007, 04:49 PM

Green stuff is fine. Nothing special or expensive is necessary. That's a matter of choice. Your tap water is good for now, too.
Old 10-31-2007, 05:08 PM
Contributing Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Skinamer
Is it necessary to use the Toyata brand coolant. I just replaced my radiator and I used the green stuff and hose water.

Will it hurt to let it go for now and use distilled water next year?

If you've already switched to the green I'd probably stay with that, but get that hose water out of there. IMHO using distilled water is more important than the type of coolant.
Old 10-31-2007, 05:11 PM

why is distilled better?
Old 10-31-2007, 05:16 PM
Contributing Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
why is distilled better?
No minerals in it to make deposits and no ions in it to cause electrolysis.

?lec?trol?y?sis /ɪlɛkˈtrɒləsɪs, ˌilɛk-/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[i-lek-trol-uh-sis, ee-lek-] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation
?noun 1. Physical Chemistry. the passage of an electric current through an electrolyte with subsequent migration of positively and negatively charged ions to the negative and positive electrodes.
Old 10-31-2007, 05:19 PM

my girlfriend just explained it to me HAHA shes a science guru (pharmacy major)
Old 10-31-2007, 06:16 PM

Originally Posted by mt_goat
If you've already switched to the green I'd probably stay with that, but get that hose water out of there. IMHO using distilled water is more important than the type of coolant.
Mt. Goat....I know exactly what you're saying. But, one year of the hose water is not going to cause any significant problems. What do you think radiator shops use to flush with? Besides part of what he's using is premix.

In the end, though, you are right....and coolant is cheap anyway. So, it wouldn't hurt [Tacoma] to drain and start over.

I found this article last night (while posting in another thread) on electrolysis. Good explanation.
http://www.drivewerks.com/Newsletter/vol-7.htm
Old 10-31-2007, 06:40 PM

^^ I dindt start anythnig yet anyway...so this isnt even an issue with me
Old 10-31-2007, 06:44 PM

Originally Posted by Jay351
Go to the stealer and get TOYOTA coolant. Go 50/50 with DISTILLED water.
Now why the hell would he go to the steeler and buy toyota OEM coolant for a 3.4 GM motor?????? oh yeah because the Rad is Toyota thats it. Have to use toyota fluid if the Rad is Toyota????? jeeze

just use a good brand of antifreeze doesnt matter what brand really as long as its all the same type. and 50/50 40/60 60/40 are all good mix's depending on your climate and whether you need more heat protection or more freeze protection.

Quick Reply: THIS is a stupid question....cooalnt for radiator?