86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

steering play adj...

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2006, 05:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
steering play adj...

i did a search but found nothing....and i could be misguided on this.

but i saw/heard that you can make a steerning free-play adjustment on these trucks through the steering box. is that true?

ive got an 88 22re p/u 4x4.

i just installed my EMU stabiliser (and WOW, by the way....that thing rocks). all the vibration is gone but i would like to tighten up the steering a bit. and yes, ive already checked the bushings, tie rods, etc. all is well.

who's got the 'how-to' ??
Old 12-11-2006, 06:38 PM

bueller, bueller.....
Old 12-11-2006, 07:20 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by gbalias
i did a search but found nothing....and i could be misguided on this.

but i saw/heard that you can make a steerning free-play adjustment on these trucks through the steering box. is that true?

ive got an 88 22re p/u 4x4.

i just installed my EMU stabiliser (and WOW, by the way....that thing rocks). all the vibration is gone but i would like to tighten up the steering a bit. and yes, ive already checked the bushings, tie rods, etc. all is well.

who's got the 'how-to' ??

Couple of things:

- The SS is simply masking the symptoms of a problem. You should really find the source of the vibration and fix that.
You should be able to run the vehicle without a steering stabilizer with no problem(s) at all. I have.

- Before screwing with the steering box, again, shouldn't you find the source of the looseness for sure ? Couple be worn TRE's, ball joints, etc.
Have someone work the steering wheel while you watch all of the front components and see what's loose.

Fred
Old 12-11-2006, 07:54 PM

well, fred...

i suppose you didnt read my entire post. the SS cured my slight oscillation problem that i was having. the truck now has 31x10.5 tires and im sure its a small contributing factor. but in my post, i noted that i already checked the stuff you mentioned and all is well. at this point, THERE IS NO VIBRATION PROBLEM. its simply a matter of free play in the wheel that i would like to minimize if possible.

so yea....does anyone know of a procedure to adjust this if it exists at all?
Old 12-11-2006, 07:56 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Check all the Balljoints on the steering linkage, like Fred mentioned. But to answer your question (which is detailed in any repair manual btw). Haynes sucks but does have some basics.

It's the screw ontop of the steering box (flat head with a nut around it). Unscrew the nut and adjust. I forget if tightening tightens the freeplay or gives more (its in the manual)... im to tired to go look LOL. You could figure it out by experimenting.

The idler arm is a good place to start with checking for looseness in the steering, they go easy (I've gone through two). I replaced the stock one which was just plain shot, the second somehow got bent, no idea how but the rod bent causing alignment problems.

there will be some play in the steering on the IFS yotas because of all the joints in play and the freeplay in the steeringbox, which steeringbox's do wear out to. Mine has a like a hole in the play, probably worn down teeth or broken teeth. Dunno, not gonna take it apart to find out (got a replcament P/S setup).

g/l and get a repair manual!
Old 12-11-2006, 09:08 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Clockwise on the adjustment reduces freeplay, and counterclockwise increases freeplay (on my '93 4R, anyways). Don't forget to re-tighten the lock-nut when you are done with the adjustment. Also, do the adjustment a little bit at a time. Tighten it, try it out, tighten it, try it out... if you tighten it too much, you will lose the "steering wheel returns to center by itself when you let it go after a turn".
Old 12-11-2006, 09:13 PM

Steering boxes tend to "wear" in the center in my experience.. Tightening them with the wheels straight can result in being too tight when rotated - indicates a worn box. Rebuild/replace is expensive.

Do you have free play with the wheels cocked? If so, it's likely not the steering box... Get someone to help you, it's pretty easy to find the steering slop.
Old 12-11-2006, 09:43 PM

cool...thanks guys. and ya....i think my sofa ate my repair manual. haha.

as far as i could tell....all other steering connections were tight. including idler arm and ball joints.

ill quadruple check everything and adjust as necessary.
Old 12-12-2006, 05:23 AM

Originally Posted by gbalias
well, fred...

i suppose you didnt read my entire post. the SS cured my slight oscillation problem that i was having. the truck now has 31x10.5 tires and im sure its a small contributing factor. <SNIP>
No, the SS only MASKED the vibration problem, it didn't fix it.
Fixing it would have involved finding the offending part(s) and replacing them.
The 31's would not be a contributing factor (assuming that they are balanced correctly). Toyota's came with 31's. I have them on mine.
FWIW, a loose steering box in at the bottom of the list of things most likely to be causing your "loose" steering.

Fred
Old 12-12-2006, 10:03 AM

the only thing left to check is the wheel balance. which im sure needs to be done. all other steering components are ok. and trust me.....the original stabiliser was completely shot. my guess is that it was the original at 160K.

but all in due time. i just got this thing not too long ago so im playing catch up on all the maintenenace the previous owner didnt do.