Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Steering feels way worse after replacing suspension parts

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2021, 06:07 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Steering feels way worse after replacing suspension parts

Hey all looking for some second opinions and thoughts on my current problem.

Long story short:
Steering feels way worse after replacing suspension parts.

Background context:
I've got a 94' T4R A/T 3VZE 4WD. In between my regular jobs it took me 2 months to replace the entire front and back suspension, but I live in a city where public transportation is decent so I was able to take the bus. I replaced all ball joints, control arm bushings, new shocks, new coils. I also lifted it by about 2.5 inches with some spacers in front and rear. When I took all the old parts off, 9/10 ball joints were very loose. Also kinda important to know is that the steering wheel always had some play in it. A medium sized dead spot basically.

The problem:
Now that I've got it all back together and had a proper alignment done, the steering feels worse. The dead spot seems to have either gotten larger or more pronounced or something. I actually got a second alignment done just in case the first guy screwed it up somehow. But I saw the alignment chart on the computer and it was all green so I trust that 2 alignments put those wheels in order. When I make a turn it feels a tiny bit like I'm gliding on ice as when I start rotating the steering wheel in the opposite direction it takes some time before it kicks in and counter steers.

My hypothesis:
I believe the issue is the steering gear box since the wheel always had some play in it. It most likely just needs to be replaced. However, that doesn't explain why it feels worse than before I replaced my suspension parts. So here is my hypothesis: Imagine a lightswitch that is so loose that when you flick the light on, the switch itself falls back down due to gravity - that kind of looseness. This is going to be my metaphor for the ball joints. Now imagine that you have a hotdog in your hand (my metaphor for the steering gear box) and you want to turn the switch on with the wiener. Pretty easy to do since the switch is so loose and the wiener doesn't crumple much at all. Now imagine you replace the loose switch with a very tight switch. One that is even difficult to switch on with your hand strength. If you use the wiener to try to switch it on now it will crumple and bend a lot before the switch flips. I think this is what might be going on between my ball joints and gearbox. Now that I've got tight ball joints the gearbox cant move them as easily and as a result the steering wheel feels less responsive since it is "crumpling" more in order to do its job.

Anyways what do yall think? Trying hard to figure out why my steering feels worse than before.

Last edited by joestox; 10-13-2021 at 06:10 AM.
Old 10-13-2021, 07:28 AM
Contributing Member

Received 182 Likes on 127 Posts
Lol, that's the neatest explanation of something ever. A+! 🤣

Hmmmmm....well, now that the entire system is back to being tight I imagine the gearbox probably needs to be adjusted. Have you inspected the steering shaft into the gearbox? Does the steering wheel, statically, have a lot of play in it? Is the gearbox mounting bolts tight or is the mounting area cracked? Does the fluid need changed and/or low?
Old 10-14-2021, 01:16 PM

Received 62 Likes on 51 Posts
I also gotta give you props to that explanation.

Did you replace the idler arm while doing you're ball joints? My steering was VERY loose because that thing was literally flopping around.

As for the gearbox you can adjust the tightness of it, I believe there is a lock nut and a set screw. It's been a while since I adjusted mine so I could be thinking of another vehicle. Basically adjust the steering 1/8 of a turn at a time until it feels right.
Old 10-14-2021, 03:40 PM

Received 826 Likes on 653 Posts
Actually measure the free-play. 30mm may feel loose to you, but that's within spec. Here's the manual page for that measurement, and the adjustment: http://web.archive.org/web/201310211.../3onvehicl.pdf Do your adjustment, if any, in tiny steps. You don't want to be chasing your tail if the problem is actually elsewhere (see earlier comments.)
The following users liked this post:
BigBluePile (10-14-2021)