86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Sounds like a diesel!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2007, 05:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Sounds like a diesel!!

Ok guys, I know Im still a newbie here, But I've spent hours upon hours reading on this forum and figured Id post about my tapping woes! I just bought my Yota 3 weeks ago, Its an 86 22R carbed. When I first started it up I noticed it rattled really bad, It seriously almost sounded like a diesel. After 3 weeks, I've done a full tune up, oil change and seafoam treatment and the rattle is still the same. Its a very consistant tick tick tick at idle. Doesnt change warm or cold. If you tap the gas you get a quick rattle (faster tapping) and goes back to the steady tick. (Its LOUD, people have asked if it was a diesel) I know the truck has an exhaust leak, but you can hear that and theres 2 different ticks going on. Plus I dont think an exhaust leak would have a rattle. This truck has 246,000 on it, But I have receipts that came with the truck that show this motor only has 46,000 on a reman. So I would think the timing chain and guides would still be fine. The previous owner was pretty anal about this truck and the thing was spotless and well maintained, but he never mentioned the tick. I know 22rs are noisy, my roomate has a 94 But this is killing me cause I love this truck and am driving 80 miles a day sometimes more (I've put 1300 miles on it in 3 weeks). Just wondering if you guys have any suggestions!

Last edited by ShortyzKustomz; 03-04-2007 at 05:26 PM.
Old 03-04-2007, 05:28 PM

These engines just tick....I dont know why, they just do! There is nothing wrong with it though!
Old 03-04-2007, 05:34 PM

ITs alot worse then my roomates 94 Though. I've had people look over at me at stoplights, It runs great though, and pulls hard. My roomies tick fades a little after warm up, mine doesnt
Old 03-04-2007, 05:38 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
The truck is going to tick, its an 86 22r. they are a noisy motor. remember it could have been abused also.

I wouldnt worry about it, like you said, the prev owner was anal about it, there really shouldnt be anything wrong with it. If it is running great too, I would just get used to it! Plus if its a new engine...etc!!

Also when people ask if its a diesel, just say yea...lol I got the truck sent over here from austrailia!! Thats what I would do!! Hahaha

Also you have to remember that your freinds is a 22re! Which is fuel injected!

Post 84 your not carburated your fuel injected FYI. My motor also has that distinctive tick with no signs of anything being wrong. Is it really a Toyota thing?

PS: mine isnt that loud I originally thought it was just my tach making noise.
Old 03-04-2007, 05:44 PM

Mines carburated, 2 barrel carb, Its an 86
Old 03-04-2007, 06:02 PM

Originally Posted by 1989toy4wd

Also when people ask if its a diesel, just say yea...lol I got the truck sent over here from austrailia!! Thats what I would do!! Hahaha

Then really freak em out when I start pumpin gas into it. Thanks for all the help guys, New to yotas, and didnt know too much about them until I found this site. Im gonna adjust the valves and check the timing guides this weekend to be safe, Then once my Camaro sells, time for more mods!
Old 03-04-2007, 06:04 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
exaust manifold gasket? Made mine sound like a diesel, happened twice too.
Old 03-04-2007, 06:07 PM

Your welcome, and the carburated 22r was offered untill 1989. It was an option to have fuel injection or carberation! For your information!
Old 03-04-2007, 06:10 PM

Originally Posted by bob200587
exaust manifold gasket? Made mine sound like a diesel, happened twice too.
Did the noise go away when the motor warmed up? Mine ticks and pings under load like crazy for a few minutes. Once it gets warmed up though, it's gold.

Rearmost exhaust stud is stripped and I believe that may have something to do with it
Old 03-04-2007, 06:15 PM

You can hear the exhaust leak, sounds like its coming from the collector gasket. Im running all new pipe and a high flow cat and finishing up my exhaust in the next week and replacing that gasket then. The ticking sound from the exhaust is a slightly different pitch from this other tick and the rattling noise is different then exhaust leaks I've had in the past. Are there seperate gaskets for all those emission tubes too? It sounds like top end but I guess a leak right there at the block could be a possibility too. The ticking Im referring to is the same even after an hour long trip as it is when its stone cold.

Last edited by ShortyzKustomz; 03-04-2007 at 06:16 PM.
Old 03-04-2007, 06:41 PM

My 85 Celica GT w/22-RE doesn't tick at all. Not on start-up , nothing. I did rebuild it about 3 years ago though.

I'll tell you that these engines are strong. At 225,000miles it outran an Eclipse GS on the interstate with my brother driving it. For some reason the guy in the Eclipse came up next to a car that was about 10 years older and reved his engine. Well it was a sad day for him. My brother downshifted and dripped the hammer. I was in another car and all I was thinking was NO!! He's going to blow up my Celica......I mean it did have 225K miles on it. Well, I dropped the hammer and tried to keep up just to see what happened. The Celica had a good 3-4 car links on the Eclipse.

To make a long story short, how many other engines with that many original miles on them could have outrun a car that is viewed as faster and is 10 years or more newer. Thes engines are strong and bullet proof.
Old 03-04-2007, 06:57 PM

while that may be true in a little celica with 13 inch wheels, in a 4 wheel drive pickup with 30+ inch tires the 22re is severely underpowered

mine ticks like a mother ĊĊĊĊer too (fuel injected)
but i havent bothered to set the valve clearance yet
Old 03-04-2007, 07:01 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 1989toy4wd
Your welcome, and the carburated 22r was offered untill 1989. It was an option to have fuel injection or carberation! For your information!

I second this information

we have two 87 22r's =)
Old 03-04-2007, 07:03 PM

Originally Posted by mochester
while that may be true in a little celica with 13 inch wheels, in a 4 wheel drive pickup with 30+ inch tires the 22re is severely underpowered

mine ticks like a mother ĊĊĊĊer too (fuel injected)
but i havent bothered to set the valve clearance yet
I agree......just pointing out that they are strong engines. They may not have the power that they need to in the trucks or 4Runners, but either way they are a string engine and will last forever.
Old 03-04-2007, 07:47 PM

absolutely

if it weren't for their longevity, my guess is the 22 engines would be some of the most hated pieces of ĊĊĊĊ in history...because i mean, if these things only lasted as long as your average domestic motor, who would bother with them? there'd probably be only half as many toyota pickups on the road as there are today, and they'd have nowhere near the tough reputation they have

22r(e)s make up for their sluggishness in simplicity and longevity...but those don't make them any easier to drive in hilly southern california traffic

with 4 lo though, they really do everything they need to do as an off-road motor, unless you're racing or something...its insane what a 22re can get you over in low range
Old 03-04-2007, 08:06 PM

Sounds like a diesel!!

I'm surprised no one said any thing about with that many miles on it .that the timeing chain might be rubbing on the cover alittle.Yes these motors do make some noise, but if it's really loud it is either the chain on the cover or exuast leak or cam wear noise. which would be do from wear.time for a rebuild soon.
Old 03-04-2007, 10:39 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by all_terrain17
Did the noise go away when the motor warmed up? Mine ticks and pings under load like crazy for a few minutes. Once it gets warmed up though, it's gold.

Rearmost exhaust stud is stripped and I believe that may have something to do with it
no, but the second time it happened I noticed it when I used seafoam. The smoke was coming out of the top of the headers. It's not a huge problem but will cause a good bit of power loss.
Old 03-04-2007, 10:51 PM

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
It will sound like a diesel if it really needs a valve adjustment. Definitely check the guides when you adjust them. Adjusting the valves will also give it more pull, usually in the higher RPMs.

Quick Reply: Sounds like a diesel!!