86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Should I? (Rust Related)

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2009, 07:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by seanmearse
But, you can keep adding clothes to keep warm, there is a limit to the removal. (but maybe not in florida, unless your fat)
but when you have all those extra clothes on you can't bend and move the way you normally can, and you can never get your fingers/toes warm enough. I HATE THE COLD

enough hijacking....

boostinchick, you can always cut the cancer out, see how it looks and if you don't like it do what annoyingrob did, but maybe use bondo instead of rivets, and of course paint it when you're done
Old 08-05-2009, 07:44 PM

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by mattaway
that's why Florida is the best.... no special cats or other equipment, no goofy laws, no rust, and best of all hardly any winter at all, let alone a salty one!

there used to be a 1st gen pickup that ran around my town that's got annoyingrob beat.... but it's been probly 6 months or more since i've seen it
pffft
we have 4 seasons, it's great.
Not to mention that our heat isnt humid
And we don't get owned by hurricanes every year
Old 08-05-2009, 08:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by peow130
pffft
we have 4 seasons, it's great.
Not to mention that our heat isnt humid
And we don't get owned by hurricanes every year
Aint it the truth.
Old 08-06-2009, 04:53 AM

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts
I'm staying in good old western PA, we may have the least amount of sunshine but we have the 4 seasons...Typically we don't have to worry about hurricanes, forest fires, earthquakes or any other natural disaster. Our summers are not too hot, humidity usually isn't all that bad and we don't get 30 feet of snow. Have some nice hills and valleys as well. Can't find a better spot!!!
Old 08-06-2009, 04:56 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Welp, I just purchased and angle grinder, cutting wheels, grinding wheel, and wire brush. Hopefully I can knock a lot of the rust off so I can finally Herculine the body!
Old 08-06-2009, 04:58 AM
YotaTech Milestone-Two Millionth Post

Received 122 Likes on 57 Posts
Northeast Pa agrees with you Lumpy.........love having the distinct 4 seasons, the mountains, the valleys (the potholes i could do without though!).
Old 08-06-2009, 05:04 AM

if you didn't buy the herculiner stuff yet, i would buy the Duplicolor undercoating stuff i've been using....about $6.50 a can at Advance Auto....covers alot, hardens up nice too. and then i cover it with Krylon rusty metal enamel (black in my case) and it hardens to a plastic like finish with an orange-peel look......looks pretty cool. DO NOT use the undercoating without topping it with something. I used spray on bedliner on some pieces on my truck and after 2 years it faded to a dull gray...looks like crap too....make sure you prep real good too or else it's a waste of your time and the stuff won't stick for long........prep blows but it's a massively necessary part
Old 08-06-2009, 05:04 AM

Originally Posted by 92 TOY
Northeast Pa agrees with you Lumpy.........love having the distinct 4 seasons, the mountains, the valleys (the potholes i could do without though!).
Ya the nice smooth roads...that we don't have. You almost have to have a truck to get around no the highways.
Old 08-06-2009, 05:07 AM

Originally Posted by BoostinChick
Welp, I just purchased and angle grinder, cutting wheels, grinding wheel, and wire brush. Hopefully I can knock a lot of the rust off so I can finally Herculine the body!
I did my interior with this, pulled all the carpet and rolled this in. Came out rather nice and the smell was not all that terrible. Left it open for a few days and the smell was gone within a week.

http://www.duplicolor.com/products/truckbed.html

Keep us posted!
Old 08-06-2009, 05:08 AM

Ya the nice smooth roads...that we don't have. You almost have to have a truck to get around no the highways. [/quote]

our tax dollars at work... not!
Old 08-06-2009, 05:55 AM

if you didn't buy the herculiner stuff yet, i would buy the Duplicolor undercoating stuff i've been using....about $6.50 a can at Advance Auto....covers alot, hardens up nice too. and then i cover it with Krylon rusty metal enamel (black in my case) and it hardens to a plastic like finish with an orange-peel look......looks pretty cool. DO NOT use the undercoating without topping it with something. I used spray on bedliner on some pieces on my truck and after 2 years it faded to a dull gray...looks like crap too....make sure you prep real good too or else it's a waste of your time and the stuff won't stick for long........prep blows but it's a massively necessary part
Well this is where I am a tad confused. The only reason I was going to use POR-15 (once I patched up the rust holes) is because it's a rust "killer' and a rust preventative. The only reason I like Herculiner or the Duplicolor is because of the rough texture when it hardens. In my readings I don't think I can go over the POR-15 with either bed liner?
Old 08-06-2009, 06:09 AM

I thought you could...I maybe wrong. I know Slacker has used POR-15 on a few of his builds. May want to PM him real quick. I think his 83 Trekker build he used POR on the frame I'm not sure what else.
Old 08-06-2009, 06:10 AM

what is por-15?
what i did what got it down to bare metal......no signs of rust....i wouldn't anything that says to paint it over rust....even though you are sealing it and i would think thereby preventing any further dameage, the fact remains you still have rust there.
like i said, grind away, see what you are left with....you may end up hacking off just wha you had predicted you would do in the 1st place.
i used the duplicolor undercoating because it said it was paintable, not sure of the bedliner version or the herculiner stuff, but i've had good reults with this stuff.
Old 08-06-2009, 06:19 AM

what is por-15?
what i did what got it down to bare metal......no signs of rust....i wouldn't anything that says to paint it over rust....even though you are sealing it and i would think thereby preventing any further dameage, the fact remains you still have rust there.
like i said, grind away, see what you are left with....you may end up hacking off just wha you had predicted you would do in the 1st place.
i used the duplicolor undercoating because it said it was paintable, not sure of the bedliner version or the herculiner stuff, but i've had good reults with this stuff.
http://www.por15.com/POR-15/productinfo/1GB/

It literally says you paint over the rust. Just have to prep the surface and clean it to make sure the stuff adheres to the surface.

From their FAQ:
WHAT IS THE BEST SURFACE ON WHICH TO PAINT POR-15?
POR-15 likes rusted surfaces best. Seasoned metal and sandblasted metal are also good. POR-15 does not adhere well to smooth, shiny surfaces, but will adhere well to those surfaces with the proper preparation.

CAN I PAINT OVER POR-15 WITH OTHER PAINTS?
Absolutely. POR-15 will accept all paints, including lacquer-based paints. POR-15 Tie-Coat Primer is the best prime coat to use before topcoating POR-15. Be sure to read thoroughly our directions and tip sheets regarding topcoating before using POR-15.
On my AOR bumper I just got I am definitely using POR-15. Just debating on whether I want to go with the conventional black or silver.

Last edited by BoostinChick; 08-06-2009 at 06:27 AM.
Old 08-06-2009, 06:26 AM

I have used the Rust-Oleum stuff before.

What it basically does is restore the rust to metal again by neutralizing the rust. Seems to work well. I'm assuming that the POR does the same.
Old 08-06-2009, 06:32 AM

should just dip my whole truck
Old 08-06-2009, 06:38 AM

92_Toy, so you have a thread or pics of your rust repair? I may just do what you suggest which is get rid of ALL rust and use the Duplicolor. Then, top coat it with the Herculiner. Maybe I can use the Duplicolor on my AOR bumper as well. Like I said, only reason I like the Herculiner is because of the krinkle/hardened texture it leaves.

Last edited by BoostinChick; 08-06-2009 at 06:39 AM.
Old 08-06-2009, 06:48 AM

i'm actually tying to figure out how to upload my photos now. i'm an ignoramous when it comes to doin stuff like that. adult ADD makes me unable to follow more than 2 instructions at a time...kidding!!! but i'm super frustrated.

yes, i have a zillion pictures, just can't figure out how to post them.

again, just my opinion..but here's what i did.....used a grinder to get rid of everything that had rust or looked dull until i had bare metal (hint.....esides eye protection, wear ear plugs, otherwise your ears are going to be ringing all day and a splitting headache)......next i sprayedit with rusty metal primer (in case there was something i issed and because i basically wanted to seal it....then i bondo'd, used metal mesh to create body curves and fill holes.........sanded, touched up with either regular bondo for low spots or putty for pin-holes etc....sanded,primered,duplicolor and enamel......i'm no body man but it worked out nicely. make sure to pay attention to the inside portion of the surface as well (from behind) since that's where all the stuff gets sprayed (road salt and water)/
Old 08-06-2009, 06:53 AM

Sign up for Photobucket or Imageshack if you do not have an account already. That is where I host all of my images if I don't pull them from Face Book.

Can't wait to get my angle grinder and attachments. I will definitely update this thread once I start with progress. I did a search on here and reading about this fiber resin jelly. It's pretty much jelly with fiberglass in it so it may have the dexterity I need for the larger holes (instead of welding).
Old 08-06-2009, 06:55 AM

Sounds like you had fun!!! As you saw as soon as I have some time I'll be doing some of the same.

As for you photos. Use PhotoBucket and link them from there. It's free!

Quick Reply: Should I? (Rust Related)