Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Rune's 3.0 rebuild thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2008, 07:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oil pressure

Rune,

Did you crank your engine without the plugs(or at least with the coil disconnected) for a bit to get the oil pressure up? My machinist recommended that for mine prior to actually starting it so that is what I did, however my oil pressure gauge doesn't register any pressure. I'm wondering if the motor has to be started and running before the gauge responds. I noticed that is what happens on my Chevy Astro van.
I'm right on the verge of starting mine now and I have to be out of town this week!!
All I need is new spark plugs and then put in the radiator. Oh, and a new battery would be nice too.
Old 03-09-2008, 07:49 PM

Originally Posted by runethechamp
Thanks for the tip, that's exactly what I am doing. I've mostly taken pics of the vacuum tubes and coolant hoses and such. I might have one or two loose bolts, the rest of them are back where they came from.
You can put a resistor in the EGR temp sensor (if you even have one) to prevent the CEL. Watch out for pinging w/o the EGR...
Old 03-09-2008, 09:25 PM

Originally Posted by Frknswt
Rune,

Did you crank your engine without the plugs(or at least with the coil disconnected) for a bit to get the oil pressure up? My machinist recommended that for mine prior to actually starting it so that is what I did, however my oil pressure gauge doesn't register any pressure. I'm wondering if the motor has to be started and running before the gauge responds. I noticed that is what happens on my Chevy Astro van.
I'm right on the verge of starting mine now and I have to be out of town this week!!
All I need is new spark plugs and then put in the radiator. Oh, and a new battery would be nice too.
I cranked it for 2 periods of maybe 30 seconds each without the coil connected with no oil pressure registering. After then I decided it wouldn't happen that way so I started it and the oil pressure cam right up.

And I spoke a little bit too soon about the CEL. GOt one this afternoon, so I have to check that out tomorrow to see what's going on. Still no funny sounds or anything though.

Last edited by runethechamp; 03-09-2008 at 09:26 PM.
Old 03-10-2008, 06:44 AM

Cel

So, my check engine light came on yesterday but then went off again this morning. I guess I can still pull the code to see what it was, but has anyone have this happen to them before, and is there a good guess out there on why it would go on and then off again?
Old 03-10-2008, 09:50 AM

Update: Code 71, EGR. The CEL went out though, so I'll try zeroing out the code and see if it reappears again. Any other advice is always appreciated.
Old 03-12-2008, 06:44 AM

Well, the CEL reappeared yesterday on my way to work but then went out again right as I was pulling in to the parking garage here. When I took a look at everything at home again I found the likely colprit of the code. The two nuts that sit on the bendable egr pipe were both loose, and one of them was not even on at all. Tightened them up and hopefully everything is fine from here on.

Last edited by runethechamp; 03-12-2008 at 06:46 AM.
Old 05-27-2008, 11:54 AM

Quick long overdue update. EGR system is fine with no issues after I actually tightened the bolts for the EGR pipe. Also had it smogged yesterday with no problems at all. I guess I did something right

Edit: I almost feel like I'm talking to myself here

Last edited by runethechamp; 05-27-2008 at 11:55 AM.
Old 05-27-2008, 12:09 PM
Contributing Member

congrats on everything, I'm dreading the day when I have to dive into mine (and the transmission). Its bound to happen sooner than later, but I have a AMC V8 to reassemble before I can start on my toy. Everything looks great, and thanks for posting so many pics.

Andy
Old 05-30-2008, 06:37 AM
Contributing Member

Received 34 Likes on 14 Posts
Quick long overdue update. EGR system is fine with no issues after I actually tightened the bolts for the EGR pipe. Also had it smogged yesterday with no problems at all. I guess I did something right

Edit: I almost feel like I'm talking to myself here
Congrats, man! Glad everything is going well. Mine is still sitting in the driveway, looking lonely & forlorn. Maybe one day I'll get time to fix it again...
Old 05-30-2008, 08:02 AM

Originally Posted by TNRabbit
Congrats, man! Glad everything is going well. Mine is still sitting in the driveway, looking lonely & forlorn. Maybe one day I'll get time to fix it again...
wasn't yours the one who's HG failed shortly after you repaired it? such a drag. were you able to narrow down the reason for the 2nd failure?
Old 09-03-2008, 05:16 AM
Contributing Member

Received 34 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Blurr
wasn't yours the one who's HG failed shortly after you repaired it? such a drag. were you able to narrow down the reason for the 2nd failure?

Nope; never had the head off since then. STILL sitting...
Old 09-03-2008, 03:55 PM

Originally Posted by TNRabbit

Nope; never had the head off since then. STILL sitting...
Hey, it only took me 8 months from start until finish and cost me a ton of money (more than most people here have spent), but it's still going strong I admit it took me a LOT longer than needed, just because of some serious ass-dragging from me. But it started on the first try
Old 09-04-2008, 10:13 AM

But it started on the first try
same for me, wasn't that a great feeling?
Old 09-13-2008, 09:49 AM

Wrenching in the dark

Great info, thanx. I've got to do my h/g on my 3.0 since the recall was already done.
I can bend, cut, weld and fix most things on my truck (have so far). But I have never dug into any sort of engine before. I have confidence in my skills. It's my knowledge that is lacking.
Realistically speaking. Is this a job a TOTAL engine novice could do? Iv'e never messed with timing belts, cranks. rods...anything.
What do ya think?
Old 09-15-2008, 05:11 AM

Think I'll swap in 3.4 instead
Old 09-15-2008, 09:45 AM

Originally Posted by Aubs
Great info, thanx. I've got to do my h/g on my 3.0 since the recall was already done.
I can bend, cut, weld and fix most things on my truck (have so far). But I have never dug into any sort of engine before. I have confidence in my skills. It's my knowledge that is lacking.
Realistically speaking. Is this a job a TOTAL engine novice could do? Iv'e never messed with timing belts, cranks. rods...anything.
What do ya think?
I had never done any engine work before. Once I got into it I realized it isn't really that difficult, you just have to make sure you do it right, which the FSM and advice here on the board will make sure you do. I didn't even have a garage to do my work in so I had to be creative at some of the steps in the process
Old 09-15-2008, 04:45 PM

Just found a 3.4 close by, for $1300 Rebuilt. I'm gonna have to buy the fly wheel (as i've been told), but I think I can do the project with the help of my friend who does work on classic cars (swaps etc.). Thanks to all the threads I've read. Are there any hidden things that I'll need to buy? Any common mistakes people make. Is the wiring just a cut and splice job? Are there special TOYOTA type tools i'll need? THANKS A TON
Old 09-15-2008, 08:06 PM

Great info, Rune. I may have to do this too. Although I've thought about just getting a remanufactured engine and calling it good. Thanks for posting up the pics and all the great info.
Old 09-17-2008, 08:34 AM

I have a request if anyone still reads the updates here. This other day I found a wire that apparently is leftover from the rebuild . I guess it can't be too important, but I'd like to know where it goes. It has a connector at one end, and it splits at the other, and my best guess is that those two ends go to grounding points somewhere. I'll post a picture of it later tonight, but I have a feeling it belongs somewhere around the coil/igniter. If anyone recognizes the wire by my lame description, or if anyone has a picture of all the wires on the driver's side of the engine compartment, please let me know.
Old 09-17-2008, 04:01 PM

OK, here is the picture of the wire. Can anyone tell me where it is supposed to go?

Quick Reply: Rune's 3.0 rebuild thread