86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Papaw's 89 SR5 4x4, 3.0, trying to fix issues

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2009, 07:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Papaw's 89 SR5 4x4, 3.0, trying to fix issues

Hi everyone. My first time post after having lurked in the background for a few months while I was deployed. Was wondering if you all could assist me.
Long story short, Papaw (who lives in east TN) had a "friend" rebuild his 3.0, but started experiencing loss of power as time went on. Finally, because of lack of power, he ended up parking it in the barn...when I came back from overseas (currently at Bragg), started to try to figure out what was going on. Vehicle would start, no power, etc. Finally, from researching other posts on here, did the compression test, and found out one of the cylinders (#3) had none, so pulled the head, and found the valve to be oval in shape. Sent the head off to get machined, etc. Got it back, installed it (thanks to EVERYONE for contributing, especially with the pictures, it wasn't difficult). Now I've got the power back, but I'm perplexed by a couple of issues (now keep in mind, I only get back to east TN about once every two months for a few days, so its not like I can work on it every day).
1) With the TPS plugged in, when I open the throttle, it bogs down and backfires. When I unplug the TPS and open up the throttle, it revs up no problems. Is it as simple as a TPS issue? Reason I ask - went and got a new TPS, and no change. One thing I'll do when I go back for Christmas is to test out the TPS (again, thanks for the posts on how to do this).
2) Truck has a hard time stopping. When I mean a hard time, even when I am stomping on the brakes as hard as I can, it doesn't want to stop. I'm assuming either I have the vacuum lines messed up, or the brake booster is going out.
3) I've got an exhaust leak coming from the back of the block, believe I may have something loose back there.

Thanks in advance for your help. Like I said, much appreciation for a forum like this. I've learned quite a bit, and without the posts and advice, would never have tried to take a head off of a 3.0.

For the newbies out there, one word of advice that keeps getting reiterated...take lots of pictures. I have a friend who helped out in taking the top end apart...needless to say, in our haste, we didn't pay attention to where X bolt came from Y part, and it was quite a pain trying to figure out where it all goes.

And a funny anecdote to all of this...the guy that did the rebuild on Papaw's engine? He used the bracket which support the air intake in order to use it to attach the grounding wire to, which then he attached to the fender well. Like I said, I'm learning a lot from another person's mistake.

Hazelwod
Old 12-10-2009, 09:34 AM

bumping
Old 12-11-2009, 05:09 PM

bump in the night
Old 12-11-2009, 06:27 PM

Sorry I don't know a lot about the 3.0 to help. In my sig there is a link to factory service manuals that you might find useful, if you have not already found them on here.
Old 12-14-2009, 01:38 PM

Re:

Thanks for the link to the FSM, WHOKRZ.

hazelwod
Old 12-15-2009, 10:56 PM
Contributing Member

that TPS problem reminds me of this one thread where some guy had it installed on the TB up-side down... but idk thats a wierd TPS problem,

brakes- check the booster lines that come off of the bottom of the PS pump.