86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

o2

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2012, 06:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
o2

foolish question but hear me out.on a 92 22re, can the two sensors in the exhaust be disconnected and eliminated?what would the effects be on the motor? its time for a new exhaust and the sensors have been hit by rocks and are bent making them almost impossible to remove and reuse. i am saving the cat to reuse but dont want to spend the extra money for the sensors if i dont need to. the truck is excempt from emissions tests and i dont care if the check eng lite comes on. if they can be removed does any thing esle need to be done to compensate for them?jump the wires etc.
Old 07-17-2012, 07:03 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You can, but you're stuck in "open loop" and run rich with the CEL on. I've found my correct sensor online, for a denso, its only 40 bucks. If you're keeping the cat, keep the o2's.
Old 07-17-2012, 07:11 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Your truck will run like crap and throw codes with out the 02 sensors.
Old 07-17-2012, 09:57 PM

The ecu adjusts ur air fuel mix in part from the O2 sensor.... Without it u would go too rich or lean
Old 07-18-2012, 05:06 PM

thanks for the input.is there any way of adjusting or over riding the rich/lean situation? maybe ill cut and reuse the pipe forward and after the cat and weld it into the new pipe.this way i wouldnt need to remove the sensors at all.
Old 07-18-2012, 05:16 PM

You can adjust it using a compatible o2 sensor

Seriously though, it changes really fast. The computer makes adjustments around 10 times a second. The computer actually has a table of calculated values that it uses to make a "best guess" which is what is called open loop mode. To make it even better these values are actually learned values based on the last time the computer had good sensor data.

With all that going for it, your truck will still run like crap.
Old 07-18-2012, 05:41 PM

so i guess in order to stay with the plan "cheap n simple" i should just leave it alone and replace the pipes around it that need to be replaced.the stock cat is good as well as the pipe about 10-12" in front and behind it. ill just cut it out and reuse it in the new system.
Old 07-18-2012, 11:33 PM

U can get a new O2 flange and weld on new the piping ...it should be a pretty standard part stocked at exhaust shops, or somewhere like summit race.com
Old 07-20-2012, 05:23 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
For a little more explanation:

The 1st O2 sensor, in front of the converter, is used by the ECU to help control your fuel mixture from just off idle through about 2/3 throttle, so basically any time you're cruising the street or freeway. At wide open throttle, the O2 is ignored, but the ECU also richens the fuel mixture enough to prevent detonation- those of you with good catalytic converters may notice that rotten egg like smell when you hold the pedal down for some distance. That smell is caused because of two things- (1) carbon and sulphur have similar structures and chemical interactions and since sulphur's bonds take more energy to break, sulphur tends to accumulate on the converter; and (2) under WOT, the fuel mixture is richened which heats the converter up A LOT... and that happens to be enough to break sulphur bonds so the sulphur combines with hydrogen in the exhaust creating Hydrogen Sulphide and other compounds thus the rotten egg odor. Enough emissions 101....

The 2nd O2 sensor is used by the ECU to monitor the converter operation directly, and the 1st O2 sensor indirectly. If the first sensor says to enrich the mixture, after things go through the converter, there should be a correct mixture so no code from the 2nd O2. If the 1st O2 says the mixture is okay and the 2nd O2 says no it's not, there's a trouble code.

So, having been long winded as I'm known to be... the option is there to cut and weld your old parts in. A good shop could probably section your pipes where the sensors are and weld them over a hole in a new pipe so you could go to a larger diameter, say 2" or 2.25" even. Get what I mean? Cut a square part of the old pipe out, around your sensors, then weld that in, covering a hole in the new pipe. Wouldn't necessarily even need to keep your converter if the engine's in good tune.
Old 07-24-2012, 04:44 PM

thanks for the info run down . thats what ill be doing. but probally retain the cat as well.