86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

new W56 transmission - noise in 5th, no speedo/odo

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2013, 09:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
new W56 transmission - noise in 5th, no speedo/odo

Greetings! This is my first (but likely not last!) post on this forum.

I have a 93 toyota pickup 4x4 with a 22re, 171k. The clutch went out so I decided to replace some major driveline components while the work was being done. I had a new tranny (W56) and transfer case (rebuilt units from ManTrans) put in, in addition to a new clutch from Marlin.

First thing I noticed when I got the truck back from the shop was that my speedo and odo had stopped working. The mechanic said he didn't know why that was happening because he hooked it all up properly. It's been a while since I've messed with a transmission, but I'm honestly not sure how you could screw up hooking up the speedo. It's one cable you just plug in. So, immediately I'm suspect of this transmission.

Then, a few days later, I finally got her out on the highway and engaged 5th gear for the first time on this new transmission. I'm greeted by a distinct grinding/hissing sound only in 5th gear. The sound is really only there when you're giving it gas. If you disengage the clutch, it goes away. If you let up on the gas it goes away.

So, here I am. New transmission, new noises and new issues. I'm going to have to take it back to the shop to have them take a look/listen, but any input from the forum would be appreciated. Could the noise be something besides the transmission? Rear diff perhaps? Could the broken speedo be something else? Broken sensor? I need to try to rule out everything before I have them pull the transmission and send it back to the rebuilders.
Thanks in advance,

T
Old 01-24-2013, 01:29 PM

Received 554 Likes on 452 Posts
A quick look under the dash or at the transmission will tell you if it is electric or cable driven speedometer.

If it's cable you will see it coming thru the firewall near the pedals, it comes thru next to the e-brake cable it's chrome on a 4runner and easy to spot. If you can't spot it there the next place to look is under the truck on the passenger side, it'll have a large one inch connector and obviously be a cable not pair of wires.

Disconnect both ends and see if spining the transmission side moves the dash side, or maybe if the cable just pulls right out of the housing. If the cable isn't broken it's either the installer or suppliers fault. If the trans came with the VSS attached it's then the suppliers problem, and simple. If it did not come with a sensor it could be either ones.

There were also two types of gear, they should have asked which or verified. Assuming I'm remebering correctly it was a 16 and 22 tooth, but I don't recall what section of the manual it's in.

If it's electronic it gets more difficult. Could be an installation error, pinched wire. Bad or improperly installed sensor, is whoever installed it and didn't test it.

Now the noise issue. Some are noisey some aren't. It could be the "normal" luck of the draw noise, or it could be the plastic speedo gear rattling around in there.
guaranteed by our 12 month/unlimited mileage warranty
Have a read thru the suppliers warranty, important things would be "satisfaction" clauses, are "mechanic" fees covered, who pays for return shipping.

Also consult your installer warranty, it should cover "workmanship" at the very least. Make sure they give you your old parts, inspect the housing for kinks pinchs abrasion. If they pinched the cable or wire, ect, it's thier fault. If the cable just happened to snap at a bad time you'll have to pay.

Sorry man paying for bad workmanship is the pits

I don't consider "normal luck of the draw" noise as acceptable, I call it what it is bad machining bad mechanics. Find it and fix it or lose my business and expect a return "Big-O-Tires old lady style" thru your front window But thats just me being overly touchy maybe..
Old 01-24-2013, 01:37 PM

P.S. It (noise) could be as simple as wrong or low lube,like the manual suggests. It's also not a bad idea to drop and clean the pan out a few times during the break in period, have a new filter and gasket installed at the end of the break in during the final cleaning.
Old 01-24-2013, 01:50 PM

Thank CO. Speedo problem solved (I think).

I took a quick look under by the t-case, and sure enough the little black plug that goes into the sensor had a bad wire. I'm going to take a wild guess and say that once I get that spliced back together it will solve the speedo/odo issue.

As far as the noises go, here is what I can tell you. I'm certain the mechanic filled up both the tranny and transfer case, though I am not certain they used the right weight of fluid.

5th gear noise - I tried to replicate it in other gears but its clearly only in 5th, regardless of speed. It goes away when you put the tranny in neutral at speed or disengage the clutch and subsides when you let off the gas at speed. It is most noticeable when cruising in 5th and giving it a little gas. It's less noticeable at open throttle because of engine noise. It is constant (non interrupted unless I stop it with a gear change or clutch) and the tone of the noise does not seem to be tied to engine speed or cruising speed. The best way I can describe it is a midrange-y hiss that sounds kind of like muffled static. It's not the kind of "oh ˟˟˟˟" noise that would cause you to immediately pull over and stop driving, but it is definitely not normal and has appeared only recently with this new transmission.

The other noise I have had for some time now. It is clearly audible from the outside of the truck or with the windows down, and is especially noticeable when coasting at less than 30 mph through neighborhoods or cruising in traffic (the sound reflects off of other cars so it is easier to hear). It is always there regardless of the gear or clutch engagement. As long as I am moving faster than around 5 mph, it's there. It's tone is constant and does not rise or fall. The best way I can describe this is a very high pitched constant ringing or squealing.
Old 01-24-2013, 02:05 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Co_94_PU
P.S. It (noise) could be as simple as wrong or low lube,like the manual suggests. It's also not a bad idea to drop and clean the pan out a few times during the break in period, have a new filter and gasket installed at the end of the break in during the final cleaning.
It's a manual...there is no pan or gasket.
Old 01-24-2013, 02:42 PM

It goes away when you put the tranny in neutral at speed or disengage the clutch and subsides when you let off the gas at speed.
With the clutch depressed and in gear all three shafts are still hooked up and spinning but not loaded.

If it was noise from the gear surfacing it would still be there, maybe quiter but still there.

There is, what appears to be, a sealed type bearing on the rear of the counter shaft. I think I'll blame this part. They are really hit or miss in the quality department, and easy to damage when pressing it on. Someone could of forgot to deburr or smooth the edges of the spacer or clip back there also.

The other noise I have had for some time now.
The only thing that comes to mind is a brake shoe dragging. If the rotor isn't warped it will be a steady sound regardless of the speed. Not the usual "thump thump" a warped rotor produces.

It would be a bit apparent in a visual inspection, one side of the rotor will have more wear than the other. This would be a caliper issue and pretty simple to solve, there should be a rebuild/repair thread here. Basicly there is a clog/build-up that makes one piston(outter) take longer to release.

It's a manual...there is no pan or gasket
Thank you sir!
Meh four gaskets no pan, not seen a filter yet either. Still a good idea just a lot more involved. Yes I am anti metal shavings
Old 01-24-2013, 02:53 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
The drain bolt has a magnet in it. Catches all the shavings...
Old 01-24-2013, 03:06 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
A new/rebuilt trans should be quiet.

They screwed it up.

Do not listen to ANY bs or exuses...."oh its breaking in" "give it time"
Anything like that is a load of crap.

These things should be quiet. Someone saying some make noise and some dont is excepting a bad job.

Make em fix it right.
Old 01-24-2013, 05:04 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question

x's 2 what hilux say's .. ive got 294000 miles it just started making noise last 3-4000 . it was quiet till recently . i checked fluids not enough in tranny too much in transfer case ??? the extra in tc is about whats missing in tranny ? is that possible ?
Old 01-24-2013, 06:13 PM

Originally Posted by mikesnyhere
x's 2 what hilux say's .. ive got 294000 miles it just started making noise last 3-4000 . it was quiet till recently . i checked fluids not enough in tranny too much in transfer case ??? the extra in tc is about whats missing in tranny ? is that possible ?
Just back into your drive way and let it flow back

yeah it's possible, unlikely there are (atleast) two oil seals where the adapter and transfer case meet. But not much would suprise me today.
Old 01-24-2013, 06:27 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
check this thread for the fluid issue..... https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f123...ercase-107835/
Old 01-25-2013, 10:19 AM

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts
W56's have a pretty high load on the main bearing that's working when in 5th. If you look at some diagrams, the distance between supporting bearings is much higher for 5th gear. R151 trans do not have this issue.

I have a high-mileage W56 and all gears are pretty quiet except for 5th. It gives a high-pitched, quiet whine that is louder as throttle position increases. Its worse at lower speeds (Power = Torque x Angular Velocity).

That being said, in a new trans it SHOULD be quiet. That bearing may have been bad out of the box.
Old 01-25-2013, 10:27 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by HighLux
A new/rebuilt trans should be quiet.

They screwed it up.

Do not listen to ANY bs or exuses...."oh its breaking in" "give it time"
Anything like that is a load of crap.

These things should be quiet. Someone saying some make noise and some dont is excepting a bad job.

Make em fix it right.
x2 on that! If they tell you it's just breaking in all they're doing is hoping your warranty will run out on mileage and they won't have to fork out to fix what they screwed up to begin with! Get on them now to fix it and don't back down on that!!! You'll regret it later if you do.
Old 01-25-2013, 11:14 AM

Will do, guys. The warranty on these units is 12 months, unlimited miles, so I intend on making them fix this. The biggest problem is that it's going to put my truck out of commission for at least a couple of weeks.

Fortunately, I have pretty badass little 2 stroke scooter that I can use to get around. Good thing it's starting to warm up here in Texas!