Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2010, 12:47 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
^x2
im with you chubbydude
Old 03-20-2010, 01:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
looks good man. hope you like it!! sorry to see that your getting so much crap for your locker video you bought it you put it in so now you can use it when ever you feel like it. but as long as it works for you..
Old 03-20-2010, 01:13 PM

x3

Brenjen you didnt quite hurt my feelings but regardless, can you really engage when your not on flat ground? I dont know if its just me but I can not engage unless im on practically flat ground. Says in the manual that you should not engage unless your on level ground but that was first ive heard of that.
Old 03-20-2010, 01:41 PM

Originally Posted by Brenjen

If that's directed at me, I'm sorry I hurt your feelings but you made a statement about what would be possible & what wouldn't & I simply pointed out where & why you were mistaken. By viewing the images I figured you didn't know how open vs. locked differentials worked so I made mention of it.

In all the pics save one & the entire vid you have four tires planted at all times; no need for a locker, at least not if you have four wheel drive since I can see you're got appropriate tire tread for such a mild grade & solid ground. In the last shutterfly pic you linked that showed one wheel in the air you would make use of a locker with the wheel lifted like that, especially in two wheel drive & possibly in the mud pic but you can't see the traction available to the other three tires so that pic is irrelevant except for the cool factor.

When all four tires are on the ground & getting traction a locker won't change anything.

Nice truck, nice images, now go out & take it somewhere the locker is really needed.
Their is prob only one to two trails in this entire park that could be done without a locker...literally
Old 03-20-2010, 02:26 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by SouthGeorgiaRunner
x3

Brenjen you didnt quite hurt my feelings but regardless, can you really engage when your not on flat ground? I dont know if its just me but I can not engage unless im on practically flat ground. Says in the manual that you should not engage unless your on level ground but that was first ive heard of that.
Yeah, I engage whenever I need it. Sometimes it takes a second to get the front to unlock when not level but a little reverse action usually clears that up. I'd only be concerned about off camber engagement if I had weak air pressure, wouldn't want a crash lock. Of course that's just an opinion & by no means me saying "it's fine you should do it" because I could be way off base on how harmful it could be.

Glad you're not butt-hurt & took it in stride. Wish we could go wheel together; then maybe my point would be clearer & I could see how gnarly this land is because it doesn't look too tough - typing something you want to say get's twisted up sometimes by the time it's read & the meaning gets lost.

To the cheerleaders lol....agree or disagree, you simply can't change the physical properties of traction or a lack thereof by liking a video
Old 03-20-2010, 02:38 PM

so a locker doesnt help in snow or mud if all four tires are on the ground.....
Old 03-20-2010, 02:59 PM

Originally Posted by stock as possible
so a locker doesnt help in snow or mud if all four tires are on the ground.....
Not really, not unless you get one front & one back in a low traction scenario with no momentum to carry you through it, if all four tires are getting the same traction (good or bad) you won't see a benefit from a locker.

Easy to understand example; If you put an open diff vehicle in the air on jackstands (zero traction on all four wheels, the least amount you can get lol)...all four tires will spin when you put it in gear & apply the skinny pedal; just like if it was locked & you did it.
Old 03-20-2010, 03:46 PM

sorry brenjen, although your theory is correct, an actual tire/ground grip combo is NEVER equal at all tires. if you were on ice and on level ground with the same pressure in all tires the traction deference between the four tires is still enough to send power to the one with least resistance. and as for having the whole truck off the ground with open diff's, try it, it most likely wont happen like you said.
Old 03-20-2010, 04:01 PM

*heavy sigh* yeah, you're all right. Physics doesn't matter, time & space warp, lockers are magical - hell mine are in the kitchen making me grilled cheese sandwiches & tomato soup as we speak.

LOL....I'm out
Old 03-20-2010, 04:11 PM

*heavy sigh* yeah, you're all right. Physics doesn't matter, time & space warp, lockers are magical - hell mine are in the kitchen making me grilled cheese sandwiches & tomato soup as we speak.

LOL....I'm out
I dont agree with anything youve said but arent they magical. hahahaha ill give you that one lol mine are doing the same thing as we speak
Old 03-20-2010, 04:16 PM

go to youtoub and watch the arb videos they are not on level gound when they demonstrate what the locker can do,there on hills and cant go any farther (engages locker) crawls up rest of hill
Old 03-20-2010, 04:16 PM

If that's directed at me, I'm sorry I hurt your feelings but you made a statement about what would be possible & what wouldn't & I simply pointed out where & why you were mistaken. By viewing the images I figured you didn't know how open vs. locked differentials worked so I made mention of it.

In all the pics save one & the entire vid you have four tires planted at all times; no need for a locker, at least not if you have four wheel drive since I can see you're got appropriate tire tread for such a mild grade & solid ground. In the last shutterfly pic you linked that showed one wheel in the air you would make use of a locker with the wheel lifted like that, especially in two wheel drive & possibly in the mud pic but you can't see the traction available to the other three tires so that pic is irrelevant except for the cool factor.

When all four tires are on the ground & getting traction a locker won't change anything.

Nice truck, nice images, now go out & take it somewhere the locker is really needed.
Dude....what are you talking about? lol you have no idea.... So you're saying that when you have all 4 tires planted and on solid ground you don't need a locker? Seriously.... you have no clue lol
Old 03-20-2010, 04:18 PM

Not really, not unless you get one front & one back in a low traction scenario with no momentum to carry you through it, if all four tires are getting the same traction (good or bad) you won't see a benefit from a locker.

Easy to understand example; If you put an open diff vehicle in the air on jackstands (zero traction on all four wheels, the least amount you can get lol)...all four tires will spin when you put it in gear & apply the skinny pedal; just like if it was locked & you did it.
this should be a sticky to get us going through the day. So funny!
Old 03-20-2010, 04:24 PM

LOL....I'm out
You have no idea lol. If this was the case...there wouldn't be a need for a locker. In any situation. period. Now go and watch some offroad vids where all 4 tires are planted and on solid ground.... like rockcrawling vids.... where none of them have lockers. Like you say. Since most "purpose built" rockcrawlers have no lockers. 'cause I assume that spending over $10-$50k they would know that lockers aren't needed. I mean, they've been in the sport for awhile..they would know. Right? I would assume.
Old 03-20-2010, 04:31 PM

I just watched the video lol. There is no way he would be able to "crawl" up that hill without any momentum and not have wheel spin... That locker made a huge difference. I'm pretty sure that this is a familiar obstacle for him knowing that he had much wheel spin before the installation of the locker.
Old 03-20-2010, 04:42 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
not hating on the vid or the op, but a yota open front and rear could tackle that climb!

what kind of locker did you install? or did you already state that and i missed it?

buy the way nice runner!
Old 03-20-2010, 05:13 PM

Originally Posted by TOYOTA 1
not hating on the vid or the op, but a yota open front and rear could tackle that climb!

what kind of locker did you install? or did you already state that and i missed it?

buy the way nice runner!
Its not so much the climb but the rock on the right side at the base would be very very difficult to get past.

ARB

Thanks man
Old 03-20-2010, 05:17 PM

i didnt say it would be easy

ahh.. arb... one day i will have one in the front.

how is that SB winch holdin up? do you use it allot?
Old 03-20-2010, 07:29 PM

Originally Posted by TOYOTA 1
i didnt say it would be easy .....

Exactly....hence the video of him "crawling" up the hill with no problems from a dead stop... I think the purpose of this thread was misunderstood.... lol

Anyway, nice runner mang. Everything is just THAT much easier.
Old 03-20-2010, 07:54 PM

Originally Posted by 4x4runr
Exactly....hence the video of him "crawling" up the hill with no problems from a dead stop...
i know that, hence why i said nothing about open vs locked, that would be a dumb argument.

i just said that one could probably own that hill climb with out a locker.

but good looking out.

Quick Reply: New locker first run pics