86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

new guy/ different build strategy

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2008, 10:44 AM

Received 118 Likes on 67 Posts
new guy/ different build strategy

hey y'all, my name is troy, and i am the proud owner of my second gen Runner... ive been stalking these forums for a while, and i know that most of you guys all say to start with lockers then go to armor, then to lift, and then to all the gadgets and whatnot.

now, i kinda want to go a place that is commonly stayed away from with 4RUNNERS...

my idea is to build a baja style RUNNER with looks, but maintain its trailworthy abilities... i guess what im trying to say is that i use m y truck for camping up near rubicon a lot, and going to school. even tho i dont go ON the rubicon, i do go running down a lot of fire roads, and have some fun in the mud around the railroad tracks around my house...

so, would the build strategy be the same?

thanks a lot guys. i know from my lurking that even tho you guys are a rowdy bunch you are a great resource for help and friendship.
Old 08-21-2008, 11:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
actually, thats pretty common, there are a good amount of pre-runner set up 4Runners out there, but yeah, i think your right as far as there not being to many second gens with that set-up.
Old 08-21-2008, 11:14 AM
Contributing Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by space-junk
hey y'all, my name is troy, and i am the proud owner of my second gen Runner... ive been stalking these forums for a while, and i know that most of you guys all say to start with lockers then go to armor, then to lift, and then to all the gadgets and whatnot.

now, i kinda want to go a place that is commonly stayed away from with 4RUNNERS...

my idea is to build a baja style RUNNER with looks, but maintain its trailworthy abilities... i guess what im trying to say is that i use m y truck for camping up near rubicon a lot, and going to school. even tho i dont go ON the rubicon, i do go running down a lot of fire roads, and have some fun in the mud around the railroad tracks around my house...

so, would the build strategy be the same?

thanks a lot guys. i know from my lurking that even tho you guys are a rowdy bunch you are a great resource for help and friendship.
Welcome to YT, we're really not too rowdy here. It sounds like you already have what you need. A stock 4runner does great on fire roads and railroad tracks If your mud gets too deep go with mud tires and a locker or 2. If it gets deeper add a winch. If you can't get out of it with mud tires, 2 lockers and a winch you never should have gone into it.
Old 08-21-2008, 11:27 AM

thanks!

ive already got plans for either an ARB airlocker for the rear, or going with some sort of e-locker... just gonna leave the front open for now as i dont get stuck too often... need to swap out the tires because those highway tires are my biggest boon. problem is that i get such great treadwear and lifetime out of them... previous owner put nearly 30k on them and ive put nearly that much and they arent even at 50% yet...

as for the armor, i have a light bar up front (not much for armor) but i was wondering about the rear quarter armor (MC is the only letters ive seen on them). does anyone know if they wil work with the stock swing away spare tire??
Old 08-21-2008, 11:31 AM
Contributing Member

Might check out the Allpro stuff:
http://allprooffroad.com/90954runnetrailarmor
Old 08-21-2008, 11:35 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
total chaos makes some good toyota prerunner suspension and you can retain the 4wd with most of them
Old 08-21-2008, 04:11 PM

thanks for the help guys...
one question about the allpro offroad rear bumper...
it doesnt say on the site, but is it comparible with the stock rear bumper? and can it work with the stock swing-away spare??

i only ask because you fellas have more exp. than i do...
Old 08-21-2008, 04:45 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by space-junk
thanks for the help guys...
one question about the allpro offroad rear bumper...
it doesnt say on the site, but is it comparible with the stock rear bumper? and can it work with the stock swing-away spare??

i only ask because you fellas have more exp. than i do...
I'm not sure, I have a pickup.
Old 08-21-2008, 05:12 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
well the allpro bumper replaces your rear bumper, and since your swing out is on your body and doesnt involve the bumper i am gonna go with it should work.

But you can always call them.