86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Need a favor from someone with a first gen 4runner

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2015, 05:51 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Need a favor from someone with a first gen 4runner

Hey yotatech the rear window in my 4runner wont work...

I have searched and troubleshooted and have ruled out the switch and the motor being the problem.

I notice that the relay clicks when i try to make the window go up, but it doesnt when i try to make it go down.

My first thought was to replace the relay, but before i did that i wanted to get one of YOU to see if YOUR relay clicks when your rear wipers are going.

Since my 4runner has no rear wiper it is hard for me to determine if it is in the resting position which could also be the problem.

Thanks for the help!
Old 04-02-2015, 08:11 AM

I guess my question is: Is it normal for the relay to NOT click when you try to make the rear window go down?

It only clicks when i try to make it go up.
Old 04-02-2015, 11:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I would say you should hear the click up and down and then the relay looks for ground through the following, rear window lock switch, cover top switch, back door lock detection and it looks like if the rear wiper is out of the retraction mode the relay won't make. If the key switch in the back door is bad that would cause a problem too, if it was stuck one way or the other.
Old 04-02-2015, 10:42 PM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

I have never heard the relay for the rear window make any noise.

Then I have never had the plastic trim removed .

Your saying the rear window does not work at all??

Yet you have made sure all the safety switches are working like they should ??

The motor does work in both directions??

The real question is has it ever worked ??
Old 04-03-2015, 05:11 AM

It hasn't worked since I got the truck less than a month ago. I've been working on it and found that the cover top switch is in tact.

After I took the cover off the tailgate I noticed two wires that aren't connected to anything. Here are the pics. Where do these go?!?

Old 04-03-2015, 06:07 AM

I unplug the motor and spliced into it and got the window to roll down manually. After I did that I tried to roll the window back up with the switch and at the tailgate in the window rolled up as it should. However it will not roll down. Can somebody please help me with this problem. Hopefully it is that stray wire that isn't connected and not the relay box

I'm tempted just to call it a day because I just wanted to take the top off for the summer anyways, but while it's a part it would be nice to be able to fix it now
Old 04-03-2015, 06:41 AM

I think the wires that are not connected are to the rear defroster. There should be 2 going to the rear glass. If all switches are good, I would check the harness going in to the tailgate. They always break off about half way to the tailgate I had 5 broken wires in mine.
Old 04-03-2015, 06:47 AM

You're probably right. Crap. Are you talking about this?
Old 04-03-2015, 06:54 AM

The exact same thing happened to my truck. The relay would click when I pressed the switch up but not down and the window wouldn't go down. After pulling apart the wiper motor area and making sure it wasn't the sensor/switch for the wiper (which it won't be unless the relay doesn't click at all) figured out it was the switch on the center column below the shifter just having bad contacts. Figured it out by pressing really hard on the switch and holding it in the down position and all of a sudden the window rolled down.

Hope that helps, spent hours just to figure that out. Oh and it sometimes happens to mine when going up too.
Old 04-03-2015, 07:02 AM

Thanks for the comment. I stand corrected in saying that the relay doesn't click when I push the down button. It does in fact click when I press down. I can't help but think that it is the relay. I just don't want to mess with the relay
Old 04-03-2015, 07:22 AM

Red face

Just what year are you working on??
Old 04-03-2015, 09:02 AM

Sorry! 1989

Old 04-04-2015, 06:01 AM

Red face

Just how close are you to the Lehigh Valley.

I would be glad to help you trouble shoot this in person.

If your close.

I have repaired quite a few.
Old 04-04-2015, 06:38 AM

It is supposed to click when going up and down...the click is the relay engaging to send power to the motor (up or down) I don't believe those red/black wires are for proper window operation.

Have you read 4crawlers write up on the subject? Decent troubleshooting guide and wiring diagrams on his webpage. Does your interior switch work? If it does, then you an rule out the safety switches.

I would check for broken wires under that protective cover on the rear door.

The back windows are interesting beasts. When I purchased my 4runner, the back window wouldn't work at all from the rear key switch, but worked fine from the interior switch. Drove me nuts and I dug in deep trying to find a problem. Couldn't figure it out, so I soldered the contacts on the relays so that the interior switch would work at all times without the car being on. Just left it like that. Well, the other day (6 months later) I just tried the rear key switch for the heck of it, and the darn window rolled down. But, then it wouldn't go up, so I had to use the interior switch. Who knows what made it work all of a sudden. So you are not alone in the quest.
Old 04-04-2015, 08:23 AM

Red face

If it makes noise it only means the relay is dirty.

Or about to fail shortly!!
Old 04-04-2015, 02:17 PM

well by noise I mean mine makes a solid 'click' when any of the switches are engaged.
Old 04-06-2015, 08:43 AM

Received 94 Likes on 66 Posts
Mine was the same as JamesW. It would go down but not up. It turned out to be the switch in the console was dirty. Try cleaning that because it's easy and free.
Old 04-06-2015, 12:08 PM

Originally Posted by wyoming9
Just how close are you to the Lehigh Valley.

I would be glad to help you trouble shoot this in person.

If your close.

I have repaired quite a few.
Thanks for the generous offer! I live in Greenville, South Carolina... I think it may be a bit too far. Ill be in PA for work later this month, but i wont be driving the 4runner

Originally Posted by wyoming9
If it makes noise it only means the relay is dirty.

Or about to fail shortly!!
Which means that i either need to resolder a new relay on, get a new relay box, or bypass the relay?

Ive been emailing 4crawler directly and he has been graciously responding. Next step for diagnosis is splicing in right behind the rear window relay to see if the window will roll down when i hook the battery direct. Wont be able to do it until this weekend probably.
Old 04-06-2015, 01:51 PM

I live in greenville sc and have a 87 first gen and my back window works fine if you want to take a look at it sometime. Or I can possibly help you sort it out never hurts to have a extra pair of eyes.

Last edited by symlink; 04-06-2015 at 01:57 PM.
Old 04-06-2015, 07:44 PM

Originally Posted by RoBatt
Hey yotatech the rear window in my 4runner wont work...

I have searched and troubleshooted and have ruled out the switch and the motor being the problem.

I notice that the relay clicks when i try to make the window go up, but it doesnt when i try to make it go down.

My first thought was to replace the relay, but before i did that i wanted to get one of YOU to see if YOUR relay clicks when your rear wipers are going.

Since my 4runner has no rear wiper it is hard for me to determine if it is in the resting position which could also be the problem.

Thanks for the help!
Mine was stuck as well. It ended up being the door sensor. Place both hands on the tailgate and push it, hard. Works every time for mine. Eventually I'll clean up or replace the switch, but for now I have bigger fish to fry.

Quick Reply: Need a favor from someone with a first gen 4runner