86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

most important issue in buying a "new 2nd gen"

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2008, 10:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
most important issue in buying a "new 2nd gen"

i'm currently in search of my first 2nd gen pickup. i'd like to find a ex cab, 4x4. what would you guys suggest are the most important issues to look for. obviously, the v6 engine has its headgasket issues. as far as i know, there is no way to really predict the headgaskets going out, so i feel like there is always a liability on those. with that in mind, part of me wonders if its better to get a higher mileage, lower priced truck, realizing that i'm gonna have to do the hg's or an engine swap (btw, anyone have a rough estimate on the 3.4 swap cost?). or perhaps i wonder if i should try and find one with a recent rebuild?

also, what about timing belts and other engine stuff? what is their reputation/maintenance schedule like?

the reason i ask is that i'm thinking of looking at a 92 pickup with the v6 and manual transmission. the truck itself has 250,000 miles, and the engine was rebuilt 100,000 miles ago. he wants $3500 and im trying to figure out my risks. i feel like its a lot of miles on the truck and transmission, and even though the engine has been rebuilt, its still original. so im wondering if i should get it and ride it out, realizing that i'm gonna probably have engine problems soon, or if i should look for one thats more expensive but with a recent history of engine rebuild or replacement and lower miles.

sorry if this is a rambling post, but i'm trying to get all of my thoughts out and it probably wasn't very organized. anyways, i appreciate any help.

kenny
Old 03-31-2008, 12:03 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
My understanding is that if the engine is well maintained, it never overheats and you're reasonably lucky, it will last a really long time. Of course the converse of that statement holds true and makes the 4 cylinder engine a better choice in my opinion. That said, most people who own 1st/2nd gen 4Runners and 2nd/3rd gen pickups have the V6 and it is pretty reliable for them. No one is going to post "No engine trouble today", but they will post when they have problems- hence it appears the problem is more prevalent than in reality.

The 4 cylinder motors nice. They aren't too underpowered provided the tires match the gearing (28" tires with 4.10, 31" tires with 4.56, 33" tires with 4.88 and so on- for manual transmission). They are very easy to fix and pretty fuel efficient as well (my heavy 4Runner gets 16mpg in the city and 21 on the highway with the 22RE).

Other issues with these trucks:
  • rust, body rust is mostly superficial, but frame rust would stop me from buying the truck
  • Oh, wait, I don't need a list of stuff to watch out for. Its a Toyota, not a Jeep.
Old 03-31-2008, 08:45 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
unless your going to swap the 3.4l in there get a 22re 5 spd
Old 03-31-2008, 04:38 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I recommend the 3.4 swap IF:

-you can find a cheap 4Runner with a blown head gasket (should be easy)
-you can find a cheap 3.4 with everything (not too bad)
-you can do almost all of the swap work yourself or with the help of someone (trickiest part of it all)

Then you can do the 3.4 swap for a reasonable cost. It won't be cheap and you probably won't get your money back. But it makes the truck that much more reliable and way more fun to drive. Plus the satisfaction of saying you did it yourself.
Old 03-31-2008, 04:50 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Agreed, I've had one 3.0 engine that didn't cause me any problems, but it did get a good bit less mileage than any r series motor I've had (even my old 20r) and wasn't much more powerful than any properly running 22re I've had. Yes it would pull a hill quicker but not enough to justify the cost/difficulty that followed the 3.0. Everything about the 3.0 is more expensive and more of a pain in the ass than a 22re. IF you plan on doing a swap to a 3.4 I'd agree that you need to find a truck with a toasted 3.0. Most people get the quote for a head gasket repair on one and sell it immediately.

In the long run it depends on what you want, if you want to buy a truck that you can repair for a decent price, will last forever with basic maintenance, and get's slamming mileage get a 22re. If you want a truck with a little more power, a great platform for a 3.4 swap, and don't mind losing a little mileage (they still aren't bad) go for a 3.0. I'd get the vin off it and find out if Toyota has done the recall HG on it yet, and if so when. Not sure where you are but check the frame around the gas tank especially, and on the straight part between the rear leaf mounts and the front torsion bar mount for rust, and the rest of the frame as well. They rust from the inside out so if you can stick your finger in the holes in the side of the frame and feel jagged scale (large rusty metal flakes) you will need to dig a little deeper to find the bad stuff but it's usually a tell tale sign that trouble is on the way.

Last edited by Luvmeye22re; 03-31-2008 at 04:57 PM.