86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Massive loss of power

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2013, 07:12 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by jtderoo
@Gamefreakgc I seafoamed it and it didn't smoke much, then this morning when I pulled the O2 sensor, and last night when I finally got it to start up after the fuel filter feassco (spelling?) It smoked a little bit but nothing crazy. To be honest with you, I have yet to look at the oil. I am not going to touch her till tomorrow. Also, I agree with you I am feeling very swindled right now. I don't think he did it on purpose though he said it had sat for a good little while before he started to try to sell it.

Back to the trouble shooting, I pulled the O2 sensor and nothing changed. Was actually a little it of a struggle to stay running at first, but it leveled out and didn't make it 100 ft from the house and had to turn around and head back. Again, it took 4LO to make it up the driveway. I am ready to shoot this thing in the face. I am hoping all the stuff listed below will fix this thing.

I went to the parts store today and order all sorts of new goodies. I ordered a new head gasket, and everything required to change it, new timing belt and all associated gaskets and what not, and all the stuff to do the thermostat. I feel like I am so close to just rebuilding this thing. I am ready for her to run right. I have another question for y'all, I am going this far into it, should I just go ahead and pull the heads, and take them to a machine shop. How much would it cost me to have a valve job and all that jazz cost me, and would it actually be benificial to go ahead and do it now, or just to much.

Anyone in the Fort Walton Beach area feel LIke joining the suck feast that will ensue this weekend and helping out with all this good jazz? If so feel free to PM me, I will let you know what the plan is. There will be cheap beer in it for anyone brave enought to help. Wallet can't afford the good stuff. Keith Stone till this whole thing is over.
I didn't say rip your engine apart to find out! This might fix your issue because it sounds like it might be a HG but it might not. You certainly can't make it any worse at this point though since it's hardly drivable. It's generally best to confirm an issue before working on it.

That being said, search the forums on how to get the idle pulley and other components off. Some of those are installed at 120-250 lbs of torque... so they can be difficult to take off! You'll find some tips if you dig around a bit.

Also, while you are in there, I highly recommend adjusting your valves as well. This WILL improve performance since it makes sure each cylinder has the correct amount of air flowing in and out. Toyota recommends ever 90k miles. This is done by replacing or swapping the "shims", metal disks of varying sizes. Just be sure to check and double-check every measurement, it's a very exact science to get it right.
Old 02-27-2013, 05:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Gamefreakgc
I didn't say rip your engine apart to find out! This might fix your issue because it sounds like it might be a HG but it might not. You certainly can't make it any worse at this point though since it's hardly drivable. It's generally best to confirm an issue before working on it.

That being said, search the forums on how to get the idle pulley and other components off. Some of those are installed at 120-250 lbs of torque... so they can be difficult to take off! You'll find some tips if you dig around a bit.

Also, while you are in there, I highly recommend adjusting your valves as well. This WILL improve performance since it makes sure each cylinder has the correct amount of air flowing in and out. Toyota recommends ever 90k miles. This is done by replacing or swapping the "shims", metal disks of varying sizes. Just be sure to check and double-check every measurement, it's a very exact science to get it right.
Yeah, I know man. There was another person locally that suggested that as well so I decided to go ahead and jump on that. Wasn't as bad as I expected. I think if nothing else this was a huge learning experience for me in my automotive troubleshoot knowledge. I am now to the point where I feel it is something that had I troubleshot this the way a normal person would have, I wouldn't have had to tear into it like I did. Oh well, you live you learn right.

I don't know if I agree with the head gasket being bad. I am going to assume that had I blown the head gasket, when I drained the oil, after driving the truck for about 80 miles, I would have seen some sort milkiness to it. I didn't see that. I have a strong feeling that there is going to be a ton of vacuum leaks some where or that some sensor is going bad. Could be wrong, but I am going at this whole thing kind of backwards.

I have high hope and expectation to have Fran, that is what I named her cross fitters should get it, up and running this weekend. If all goes well, maybe even in time to take the lady friend wheeling Sunday.
Old 02-28-2013, 09:58 AM

That's a good attitude to have. At the very least, you now have a good knowledge of the make-up of a motor. And at least now you KNOW that the HG isn't going to fail anytime soon. Not that it necessarily would have but now you have the peace of mind.

I don't know of any sensor that would completely kill the power like in your case. If you have a vacuum leak that large, it would be very noticeable. I had several when I bought my truck and it actually gained power due to extra air flow, got slower when I fixed 'em!

If you're looking for sensors to check, grab a multimeter and check the ECT located on the water bypass behind the engine, the TPS on the throttle body, and check your VAFM to make sure it's measuring air intake correctly. You can find the specs on the link to the '93 service manual. These would be the most likely sensors to cause a power loss.

You can also double check your vacuum hoses are connected correctly here: http://personal.utulsa.edu/~nathan-b...74layoutan.pdf. They could be all mixed up and causing backpressure in the engine.

Also, search the forums for similar issues. You might find someone with an answer.
Old 02-28-2013, 11:21 AM

Like others have mentioned, I would drain the fuel tank and put fresh gas in there as well as a fuel stabilizer or injector cleaner (I recommend Techron, Seafoam also works).
Old 02-28-2013, 01:16 PM

Sounds to me like a fuel pump issue. I'd check to see what your fuel pressure is on the fuel rail. IMO your either getting to much or not enough. If your getting to much pressure then its the pressure regulator not enough would be fuel pump. Check those out and let us know something. I'd almost bet that's the problem. My moms 95 3.0 truck done this exact thing and it ended up being fuel pump.
Old 03-03-2013, 06:05 AM

Fuel tank is being dropped. I am going to actually have a helper today, should be nice. I will post pictures and the outcome both here and my build. Keep your fingers crossed yotatech, side question, do I have to prime the pump if I change it or are the pretty much self priming
Old 03-03-2013, 06:07 AM

Just change it. No priming required. First start up may be a little rough at first if air gets into lines but other then that just pull out put back
Old 03-03-2013, 07:54 AM

My 89 runner had a loss of power a month ago, was driving me nuts, but it turned out to be the muffler. Don't know if that's been said, but once I Had a new one put on solves my problem.
Old 03-03-2013, 02:32 PM

I would be very sad if that was the case. I have a few small holes in mine, what exactly was wrong with yours.

On a side note, I now need to acquire a fuel pump sending unit. I was trying to removed mine, and ended up bending the out let line. There is nothing that seems to go according to plan with this damn truck. I did however get to drop the tank. The inside of that was nasty as all get out. feeling pretty confident that that may be the case.
Old 03-03-2013, 02:38 PM

If its as nasty as you say I'd recommend replacing it. You can get a replacement off eBay fairly cheap
Old 03-03-2013, 02:40 PM

That was it, just a bad muffler, apperntly it needs that backpressure. 2-3 gear I had to use for going up even slight inclines that before I could do easily in 4 or 5 , keep in mind I have a 22re.
Old 03-03-2013, 02:46 PM

new tank, pump, and try to clean the lines. hope it turns out well! i know how you feel about everything going wrong. youll be happy you did it when it's running well though.

Last edited by yodafan93; 03-03-2013 at 02:48 PM.
Old 03-03-2013, 03:14 PM

You know anyone that has a sending unit?? I could really use one of them guys
Old 03-03-2013, 03:21 PM

Originally Posted by jtderoo
You know anyone that has a sending unit?? I could really use one of them guys
I have one. I have one from a 87 and 85 there both the same
Old 03-03-2013, 03:42 PM

Up for selling that guy? if so pm me and we can figure all the details out
Old 03-03-2013, 03:48 PM

Received 554 Likes on 452 Posts
You can rebuild the lines, should be a couple threads here to get you started if your interested.
Old 03-03-2013, 03:57 PM

Originally Posted by Co_94_PU
You can rebuild the lines, should be a couple threads here to get you started if your interested.
Rebuilding is what I would do as well. If you have a good pump hanger and at least 1" of pipe coming down from surface plate then you could just use a couple compression fittings to fix it. However I do not know what's broke nor do I know how you broke it.

If you really wanna replace it make me a offer I will sell ya one. It doesn't matter. I will tell ya mine have a little rust on them due to setting for awhile.
Old 03-03-2013, 04:54 PM

I am gonna look into that!!! A 90 degree compression fitting and I should be good!!!!

I broke the output on top of the hangar itself, I figure I cut it and add a small section of flared tube out and I should be good.

Last edited by jtderoo; 03-03-2013 at 05:37 PM.
Old 03-20-2013, 04:22 PM

Please to share, Fran is alive and well. Not sure what exactly fix her, but she is running very well.