86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Marlin Shifter Seat Questions

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2009, 09:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Marlin Shifter Seat Questions

I was installing my Marlin shifter seat and socket cup tonight on my 91' 4Runner when I noticed that my socket cup is submerged in gear oil. I can clearly see the oil and it's on the cup when I pull the shifter out. Is this normal?? All the searches I have done didn't show any one else experiencing this in there pictures. Looking down into the shifter hole there's were dry and mine isn't. It's not like my manual trans is overfilled, i can't put in anymore once it comes out of the fill hole. The trans runs great, shifts smooth, no problems. Just wondering if this is normal? Also some people have been saying to use grease, well since my cup is submerged it can be lubed with oil. Putting grease on it won't do anything. I also put a couple drops on the shifter seat too. I also found out the hard way that using a Marlin seat requires the removal of the rubber gasket that sits below the OEM shifter seat?? Just drop the Marlin seat in and that's it?
Old 08-18-2009, 10:33 PM

Received 120 Likes on 59 Posts
Originally Posted by Hilux808
I was installing my Marlin shifter seat and socket cup tonight on my 91' 4Runner when I noticed that my socket cup is submerged in gear oil.
Mine was too, No worries.

Originally Posted by Hilux808
I also found out the hard way that using a Marlin seat requires the removal of the rubber gasket that sits below the OEM shifter seat?? Just drop the Marlin seat in and that's it?
The rubber thing your referring too is the old shifter seat.
I thought my old one was disintegrated, so I didnt try to take anything out.
Took me an hour trying to JAM the little twist thing down, the collar that locks it, to realize something was in there.

Also, Im sure you have seen this but twist it in just like this vid..
[YOUTUBE]5Tqokqzdox4[/YOUTUBE]

Old 08-18-2009, 10:42 PM

Thanks, I felt pretty dumb after spending an hour on it myself. This was my first time doing this so I didn't know what to expect. I wished Marlin could have told us this on there website about the gasket/shifter seat. It's in now and seems to be good.
Old 08-19-2009, 10:24 AM

Just got off the phone with Marlin, apparently my trans could be over filled. The tech told me that it's not typical for the socket cup to be submerged in gear oil like how mine is. I'll have to recheck the oil level in the trans. I also asked him about the grease issue...if grease should be applied to the shifter seat. He said that I could but usually a few drops of gear oil is good enough. When driving gear oil will usually splash on it anyway so there's really no point in applying grease. Also too, don't be like me, when you're changing out your old OEM shifter seat be sure to remove the seat and the rubber gasket below it, then install the Marlin seat by itself. Then you can put everything back together. Just letting anyone know who's interested
Old 08-20-2009, 05:23 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
sweet ^^i just wish mine would get here...been waiting like 5 weeks now?
Old 09-26-2009, 02:20 PM

that stupid rubber washer gave me hell for a few hours too till i just took it out then everything went smooth.marlins not so great on shipping things either orderd parts priority mail,waited,waited 1 week goes by,call 3 times its on its way,told invoice dosent say anything about priority mail.get package 8 days later at wrong adress sent to my home not work adress like requested.reading invoice and low and behold what does it say on the invoice in bold writing [priority mail!!!!!!!!!!!!]
i like marlin crawler but i just wanted to bitch about it
Old 09-26-2009, 02:26 PM

Thanks....thats helpful info...if mine ever gets here
Old 10-04-2009, 09:27 AM

just installed mine...took about 15 minutes and well worth it..
Old 10-04-2009, 10:54 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
If you can see gear oil up were the shifter seat is, then the transmission is way over filled with gear oil. Remove the fill plug on the side of the transmission and let it drain out until it stops and it will be at the level it should be.