Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

lots of rain + windows down = no headlights

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2006, 09:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
lots of rain + windows down = no headlights

so, heres the story...

a couple weeks ago on a hot day i put my windows down in my 4runner and took off for the day in my girlfriend's car. while i was gone, we got a lot of rain, like sideways rain, and the interior of my truck got real soaked. this happened the day before i was going back to school to move back home for the summer, so i didnt really have time to tend to it immediately.

fast forward 2 weeks... i got the carpet and seats all dried out, and the cd player still works, so i was happy about that. i notice last night that my headlights dont work when i turn them on. no brights, no dims, no nothing. the interior gauge lights work, the parking lights work, the tail lights and brake lights work, the blinkers work.....but no headlights. i do have the upgraged headlight harness and am thinking it has something to do with that. i checked all the fuses that i thought might be assiociated with headlights and they are all ok. if anyone has had any experience with this or any ideas, please chime in.

also, my clock has been in warp speed mode after all the rain. it goes much faster than normal, i would guess about 30 seconds goes by for each hour that changes on the clock...in other words each minute only shows for about a half of a second...kinda hard to describe. any help with that would also be great.

thanks for taking the time to read through all this, and for the help.
Old 07-05-2006, 09:59 AM
Contributing Member

Sounds like you might be on to something with the harness if all the fuses are good, very off chance of some sort of short with the water and wet wires/switches. etc...are your bulbs still good in the headlights? Simple, I know, but check. TRy unplugging that harness, I'm guessing its for the H4 bulbs? and just plugging back into your stock system.
As far as that clock goes...I have NO idea about warp speeding clocks.
Old 07-05-2006, 10:11 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Have you noticed the acceleration of your 4Runner has improved much? If so you have either entered a worm-hole or you're at the Nexus of the universe. Contact NASA, the Jet Propulsion Laboratory or I know a Vulcan named Bubba who might be able to help.

Seriously though....
Try letting it dry out really well. Park it in the sun, windshield facing south. Roll all the windows up but crack the rear widow. Keep doing this for a week or so to see if you can finally get the electronics dried out. Try to get the interior of the car up to 130 or 140 degrees. You don't want to have to buy and replace the headlight switch.

Shoot just bring it to El Paso. It'll dry out in a couple hours down here.
Old 07-05-2006, 10:28 AM

In terms of your head lights, have you checked to see if you are getting power at the light? using a test light or multimeter? that would be a start.
Old 07-05-2006, 11:48 AM
Contributing Member

2 minutes a second?! That is hilarious!

Post up a video.
Old 07-06-2006, 04:40 PM

update:
i have been leaving the windows up and it facing south for the past couple days. still no headlights but i will continue to do this for a while longer. i did notice that when i pull back on the headlight stalk as if i were going to flash my brights at someone, the bright lights come on and so does the brights indicator. this leads me to believe that the problem is in the headlight switch. i havent checked the bulbs yet, but i find it hard to believe that both dims burnt out at the same time because of this. thanks for all the input guys....keep it comin if ya got it.
Old 07-06-2006, 04:48 PM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
check the relay for the headlights
Old 07-06-2006, 04:55 PM

while i was looking for fuses, i noticed the headlight relay, but i dont know how to check it? is there a simple way to tell if it is working or not? thanks a lot
Old 07-06-2006, 05:12 PM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
it should click when you turn the headlights on
Old 07-08-2006, 08:03 PM

ok, so far i have left the windows up all day during hot weather, checked the headlight relay, and aimed a hair dryer at the headlight switch for a couple hours. my headlights still dont work when i turn them on. i still have brights when i pull the stalk back to flash the lights.

does anyone have any experience with or tips on checking the proper functioning of the headlight switch? or even taking it apart to check it?? thanks all.
Old 09-30-2006, 12:57 PM

alright, here is the update...

i pryed the little plastic cover off the end of the stalk, sprayed a bunch of electrical contact cleaner in there, turned the headlights on and off while doing this. i got it so i can turn the headlight switch on, then turn it back a [U]tiny[U] bit and the lights will stay on. if i move it or turn the blinkers on, the headlights usually go out again and i will have to move the switch back a tiny bit. this gets real annoying when driving at night, especially in town.

so from what i can tell, there is a very small part of the switch that is making good contact, the rest is bad. i have looked around and tried to find a way to take the actual switch apart, but no luck. if anyone has done this, please let me know how.

now i am looking at getting a new headlight stalk from a parted out truck, and just splicing the wires together. does anyone know if this will work? would it really be that easy?

again, thanks for reading all this

dewey
Old 05-19-2007, 01:29 PM

again, an update....

i got a combo switch (headlight and blinker stalks, all one piece behind the steering wheel) from a parted out truck. swapped it out, works perfectly. the warp speed clock is still warp speed, but i'm not worried about it...cd player has a perfectly good clock. thanks for all the input.
Old 05-19-2007, 03:03 PM

still want to see this warped out clock!

i want one...WHERES THE RAINN
Old 05-19-2007, 03:15 PM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts
You dealt with this for 10 months!?!?!? Glad you got it worked out though...
Old 05-19-2007, 03:17 PM

yea, i forgot about getting a vid of the clock.... i dont have a camera with me now, but next weekend i'll post one up
Old 05-19-2007, 03:21 PM

well, technically i did this swap february, but i remembered this thread and thought i would provide some closure for anyone in the future.

in my defense, the problem gradually got better... to the point where i could turn the lights on and keep them on all the time. if i purposely moved the switch they would go off, but it wasn't as bad as in the beginning. really the reason i swapped it was because my girlfriend couldn't always get them to stay on, and i didnt want her to have any problems driving at night. country roads get dark and scary real quick when the lights go out...especially when you're not expecting it.

Last edited by dewey; 05-19-2007 at 03:25 PM.
Old 05-19-2007, 04:03 PM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts
Was just happy you got it worked out..my headlights kind of wigged out on my for while too, Roger (4crawler) helped me out on that one. I am now chasing a deal with my horn...everything looks/tests fine but it seems to only work when I bump it--so i can relate
Old 05-19-2007, 05:06 PM

yea, i'm much happier with it too...don't have to worry about em going out anymore.

good luck with the horn, gotta love wierd electrical problems