86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Locking Up The Front. Locker-Less

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2007, 02:03 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by SwampThing
Yeah, thats all I basically use it for. Copious amounts of mud. We never have any snow here, no sand (though thats my next question), no huge rock yards, and if it's just trail ridin, it's usually just a plain old trail to get to a mud pit.
If it's a mud truck, can't you throw some sort of Celica posi-trac (limited slip) in there - non locking, but enough to keep you from spinning one wheel when going through the mud? I thought there was a drop in option out of the Celica... It'd probably perform the same in the mud as a locker and be a lot easier everywhere else.

If I had a mud truck, I'd be trying to put some power down.. At least enough to clear the tires.

Last edited by dcg9381; 01-19-2007 at 02:26 PM.
Old 01-19-2007, 02:09 PM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Okay...

Differntial 101.

When one is turning a car or truck, doesn't matter, the outside wheels take a different, longer track than the inner wheels. The wheels travel this distance at the same time. So, the outside wheel MUST turn faster than the inner wheel.

This is what a differntial allows. It lets one wheel turn at a different rate of speed than the other.

The front tires have to do this even more than the rear. For example, drive your truck through a puddle, and then, when you get onto dry pavement, turn, and drive throught the turn. Get out and look at your tracks. The fronts will have made an arc, the rear will have made a much shallower arc, kind of cutting accross the distance, in a much straighter curve, almost a line.

When you weld the front, you spin both tires at the same speed at the same time. This means that, in order to make a turn, the tires either have to slip, or you can't turn. When they slip, you decrease your turning radius. If the tires can't slip, you end up not being able to turn the wheel.

So, in the end, weld it, don't weld it, its entirely up to you. We've given you the best advice we can, you can do whatever you want with the advice.
Old 01-19-2007, 03:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No, I completely understand need for differentials, how they work (power bias' and dividents, centerfugal lockup points and internal clutching, etc.), different types of differentials, need for center differentials in full time 4wd apps, and all that other good stuff below then engine (nitty gritty engine mechanical details aint my forte). But knowing how something works, and actually having "been there, broke that" are two completely different things.

Dunno, maybe I'll just go with a progressive clutch (subaru style) lsd since I'm still on the fence. Dunno, I guess the reason I was so inclined to do it was the price (or lack there of). Maybe the benifits are greater with a sfa, but the way I was lookin at it was like "If it has as much of an impact as lockin up my rear did, but doesn't cause too many problems, for $80 I caint loose!"
Old 01-19-2007, 05:15 PM
tc
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
It's gonna sound like I'm shooting down all your plans, but in my experience (admittedly, mostly on rocks - not mud) a LSD is the most frustrating thing EVER. It won't lock when you really want it to (a wheel in the air), and when it does (you have traction), you don't really need it.

It will be closer to $700 to do an ARB in front, and you'll never look back. How does that saying go - something like you forget about the low price, but are always reminded of the low quality...
Old 01-20-2007, 09:13 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
i don't want to sound like an annoying n00b, but does anyone have a comment on a tru-trac in the front? Marlin uses one. great in snow, apply a bit of brakes if one of the front wheels is in the air, and it'll grab...

-shaeff
Old 01-20-2007, 10:39 PM
Contributing Member

several people i know have them or had them.

None of them liked them.

I have one in the rear, ARB in the front. I don't like it for wheeling. Doesn't matter how hard the brake is on, when one of my rear wheels is in the air, that is the only wheel that spins.

It does do really well in the snow. Still, i'm going to an ARB in the rear as well.
Old 01-21-2007, 08:40 AM
tc
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by shaeff
apply a bit of brakes if one of the front wheels is in the air, and it'll grab...
Ummmm..... yeah ..... In theory, that works great. In my experience, it is VERY difficult to make work and just gets frustrating as hell.

My ARB's cost a lot, but I have NEVER regretted the decision. The truck drives great in ALL conditions. I also have access to a SAS 4Runner with a Detroit in the back and a Trutrac in the front, and there are always times where I wished it was as predictable as my truck.
Old 01-21-2007, 03:21 PM

Originally Posted by tc
The truck drives great in ALL conditions.
bingo...

I bought my current ARB for the 95% of the time its not engauged.. the other 5% is a bonus.... predictible is nice...
Old 01-24-2007, 12:35 PM

i see. thanks for the info. i don't do much, if any rock crawling, as i live in NY, and in my area there's not much of that to do. it's mostly mud pits, trails, etc... i'm not sure how often i'll have any of my tires off the ground. (i know, where's the excitement in that?)

looks like i still have some decision making to do.

-shaeff
Old 01-24-2007, 12:37 PM

Originally Posted by shaeff
i see. thanks for the info. i don't do much, if any rock crawling, as i live in NY, and in my area there's not much of that to do. it's mostly mud pits, trails, etc... i'm not sure how often i'll have any of my tires off the ground. (i know, where's the excitement in that?)

looks like i still have some decision making to do.

-shaeff
Check out www.crolickscorner.com She is looking to build an OHV park in NY, hopefully to be completed in the next couple years. That would give you some wheeling to do.
Old 01-24-2007, 12:39 PM

Ended up buying new tires instead lol. Needed some badly, my xterrains had about as much tread as a golfball. Got 5 33x12.5x15 bfg m/t's for $400

And I figure I might as well hold off till I buy myself an older yota p/u with a sfa. No use bringing down it's value any more than it already is lmao...
Old 01-24-2007, 01:09 PM

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts
Just for the record I have a TT in front and I like it alot. Granted, I do alot more hill climbing and trails with lots of moderate sized rocks and some that are kind of like steps, I don't put front tires in the air really often. So I cannot speak to how it operates in that condition.

I still think you should weld up that front and tell us how it is. There are TONS of IFS thirds that folks will sell you (or if you drove to GA, I'd GIVE mine to you!). Something about being told the only correct way to mod your truck is with compressed air lockers pisses me off...
Old 01-24-2007, 06:03 PM

Originally Posted by RustBucket
Something about being told the only correct way to mod your truck is with compressed air lockers pisses me off...
Haha I definitly feel ya there. Who knows, I might just end up doin it here before too long. Still trying to get back on track, this christmas killed me lol.
Old 01-24-2007, 06:28 PM
Contributing Member

Something about being told the only correct way to mod your truck is with compressed air lockers pisses me off...
Not the only way, just the best way. Electric or air lockers are the best for DD trucks. They are certainly not the only way.

I dislike my TT in everything but snow. Glad you like yours. The guy was asking opinions, and he got them. From people who have personal experience...Can't see why that pisses you off, but to each his own i suppose.
Old 01-25-2007, 03:24 PM

Originally Posted by Intrepid
Check out www.crolickscorner.com She is looking to build an OHV park in NY, hopefully to be completed in the next couple years. That would give you some wheeling to do.
sweet! thanks a lot, man!

Originally Posted by AxleIke
Not the only way, just the best way. Electric or air lockers are the best for DD trucks. They are certainly not the only way.

I dislike my TT in everything but snow. Glad you like yours. The guy was asking opinions, and he got them. From people who have personal experience...Can't see why that pisses you off, but to each his own i suppose.
i was already planning on adapting an E-locker to the rear of my truck, so i guess in good time i'll try to do the same for the front. i've never had problems in the snow before, and i really like the idea of dual lockers. maybe i'll wait until i get my SFA installed, and go from there. (picked up an '85 22RE pickup with a SFA for $500!)

-shaeff

Last edited by shaeff; 01-25-2007 at 03:32 PM.
Old 01-25-2007, 04:11 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hehe... I gotta agree with you there. It's just that there are about 4 guys on this forum that post 20 out of 24 hours a day that feel any mod that isn't top of the line isn't worth doing...

Go to a mud hole and see the trucks that 95% of the guys out there rooting are running and I guarantee you'll see blocked rears and welded fronts. And little to no complaining about it.

Jesus guys, this isn't Pirate...

To the OP, I also say weld it and try it out, then replace it with a cheap 3rd from a member if you don't like it.
Old 01-25-2007, 08:02 PM
tc
Contributing Member

No - read the posts above again. Nobody has said welded is bad for mud - just that welded will be hard to turn if you have any traction, and that can be bad. And if you argue with that, you've never driven a vehicle that's locked front and rear. I have an ARB and have already gone through 2 power steering pumps... can't imagine how many I would have gone through if I didn't drive it unlocked most of the time.
Old 01-25-2007, 08:57 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by ovrrdrive
Hehe... I gotta agree with you there. It's just that there are about 4 guys on this forum that post 20 out of 24 hours a day that feel any mod that isn't top of the line isn't worth doing...

Go to a mud hole and see the trucks that 95% of the guys out there rooting are running and I guarantee you'll see blocked rears and welded fronts. And little to no complaining about it.

Jesus guys, this isn't Pirate...

To the OP, I also say weld it and try it out, then replace it with a cheap 3rd from a member if you don't like it.
Ahhh...I see. So when people ask for advice, they shouldn't get all sides, only the cheaper side. Fair enough.

What I think is even greater is that not only is good information considered "elitest" but actually is not welcome. Got it.

Swamp Thing, Terribly sorry we got in and told you our opinions based upon personal experience. Apologies for cluttering up your thread. Won't bother you anymore.
Old 01-26-2007, 12:09 AM

[BS Police]Heard there was a disturbance, just wanted to clear things up[/BS Police]

Please take a look at www.iliketosteer.com You browser will be permanently blocked from there with a welded front. It is a lot different from the rear, because it is the front and it steers.

There are people on here who try to prevent dumb things from happening. The best front traction device is an ARB. Calling anything else the same or even close is "a stupid thing that pisses me off."

True Tracs give you all the bad things about having a locked front and half the good things. Not where I would put my money.

A question was asked, options were outlined and elitism some how arrived. Tell me there is something like an ARB. Please do. My elite self will be going around the corner to the spa, enjoying the benefits of a steering wheel.
Old 01-26-2007, 01:10 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by AxleIke
Ahhh...I see. So when people ask for advice, they shouldn't get all sides, only the cheaper side. Fair enough.

What I think is even greater is that not only is good information considered "elitest" but actually is not welcome. Got it.

Swamp Thing, Terribly sorry we got in and told you our opinions based upon personal experience. Apologies for cluttering up your thread. Won't bother you anymore.
Sorry I hurt your feelings, but to be perfectly honest with you, I wasn't referring to you...

Quick Reply: Locking Up The Front. Locker-Less