Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

limited slip up front?

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2009, 04:46 PM

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts
AxleIke, you changed your sliders halfway through that trail ride!!!

But seriously, every time I see pictures of that gray 4Runner doin it's thing I feel more proud to wheel IFS!
Old 09-17-2009, 04:48 PM
Contributing Member

Received 181 Likes on 126 Posts
Man, after seeing those pics, looks like I need to trade in my 35's...
Old 09-17-2009, 05:19 PM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by 88Cleve4runner
ike's runner just plain dominates... just had to put that out there too. i'm not trying to bash you Sex, just correct you lol. now back on topic!!!
Thanks man! And, I'm not bashing either. Just correcting a common misconception.

Originally Posted by RustBucket
AxleIke, you changed your sliders halfway through that trail ride!!!

But seriously, every time I see pictures of that gray 4Runner doin it's thing I feel more proud to wheel IFS!
LOL. Thanks man, but those were over a year apart. The top ones were very recent, the bottom from last year. I changed things up a bit.

I changed front bumpers, rear axles, suspension and crossmembers too! LOL

Originally Posted by BigBluePile
Man, after seeing those pics, looks like I need to trade in my 35's...
LOL. Eh, wouldn't do that just yet....I keep throwing the idea of bumping up to 35's around, but haven't convinced myself yet!

Last edited by AxleIke; 09-17-2009 at 05:22 PM.
Old 09-17-2009, 05:20 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by tc
If you drive only on roads or 'wheel easy stuff where you aren't likely to unload or lift a tire, a LSD works fine. Unfortunately, the rest of the time, you get all the drawbacks of a locker (lack of stability on slick offcamber, etc) without many of the benefits (traction when you really need it)

I have cursed at Molly's Trutrac more than any other thing on the trail ever!
Originally Posted by Lysmachia
I dunno.... Cuz I remember you yelling this on Steel bender

LOL Molly, I was about to post the same thing, though I only heard tale of it.

And x2 on TC's post. I cussed my trutrac a lot. However, from the OP's description, it sounds like he'll be just fine with one in the front.
Old 09-17-2009, 05:23 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by AxleIke
LOL. Eh, wouldn't do that just yet....I keep throwing the idea of bumping up to 35's around, but haven't convinced myself yet!
Well in THAT case!! LOL!! I like the axle clearance! lol!! I still want the duals though...
Old 09-17-2009, 05:25 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by BigBluePile
Well in THAT case!! LOL!! I like the axle clearance! lol!! I still want the duals though...
Get em! You won't be sorry!

My rear axle is shaved an inch, so I essentially have the same clearance as a non shaved axle with 35's. It slides really nicely now, but it'd be nice to get some more clearance under the front and belly too.
Old 09-17-2009, 05:33 PM
Contributing Member

Man, I want too bad!! I wheel with algranger and plumbrbob and want to be able to keep my IFS in their rearviews!!! LOL!
Old 09-17-2009, 06:26 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
hmm well now i just need to find an arb e-locker... n e one?
Old 09-17-2009, 06:31 PM
tc
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Yeah, same here ... every time it comes around to buy tires, I think of the 35x10.50 SSR's (or at least 255/85-16's) ... and I get another screaming deal on 33x10.50's ... oh well
Old 09-17-2009, 07:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by crolison
One thing that really gets you with traction on the ifs is raising a tire off of the ground. With a Limited Slip, once that tire is off of the ground, kiss any traction upfront good bye.

With a locker you won't have to worry about it.

I have an arb up front right now, but switching to aussie soon.
Originally Posted by toyotanick
hmm well now i just need to find an arb e-locker... n e one?
You're welcome. That'll be a 15% finders fee.

edit: wait wait.. "arb e-locker"?!? no such critter. arb lockers are air-tube.
Old 09-17-2009, 08:00 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Windsor
You're welcome. That'll be a 15% finders fee.

edit: wait wait.. "arb e-locker"?!? no such critter. arb lockers are air-tube.
He already pm'd me
Old 09-17-2009, 09:40 PM

I wish I never bought the Tru Trac. Love the Detoit Locker though.
CV joints are most at risk at maximum turning with a locker. Same with the Birfield in the solid axles.
Old 09-18-2009, 05:19 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by desertcamper67
I wish I never bought the Tru Trac. Love the Detoit Locker though.
CV joints are most at risk at maximum turning with a locker. Same with the Birfield in the solid axles.
Exactly!

Though it doesn't really matter if you have a locker or not. CV style joints (birfields, CV axles, etc... are all CV) have a maximum angle at which they retain strength. Most vehicles exceed this to be able to have a decent turning radius.
Old 09-18-2009, 06:07 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Exactly!

Though it doesn't really matter if you have a locker or not. CV style joints (birfields, CV axles, etc... are all CV) have a maximum angle at which they retain strength. Most vehicles exceed this to be able to have a decent turning radius.
Add droop into the equation, then it gets really fun
Old 09-18-2009, 12:09 PM

Originally Posted by 88Cleve4runner
i never said because you have ARB that you,ll never break a cv. all i was asking was the experience woth them. the arb can unlock and lock. it came across to me that they were saying because of the ARB, you would break more cv's. not true. the broken cv's i've seen have also been by driver error. if i mess one up chances aee it'll be my fault. but to say because of the arb i woll break a lot of cvs just doesnt make sense.
CV's are just weak it's tested and proven, I don't need to spend $1200 on locker to prove that. I'm scared for my CV's and I don't have a locker. It just doesn't make any sense to me for the money. Usually people who buy lockers are rock crawlers or extreme trail riders who need the suspension height and the strength of a soild axle, not a 1" - 3" IFS lift. The one positive thing about the ARB which you said, is that it changes back to an open diff when your off the trails.

I didn't intend to s**t on anyones parade, just my opinion, try to take everything in stride, it's just a forum.
Old 09-18-2009, 12:17 PM

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by sexonwheels
it's just a forum.

What are you thinking man!!!

Old 09-18-2009, 12:27 PM
Contributing Member

CV's are just weak it's tested and proven, I don't need to spend $1200 on locker to prove that. I'm scared for my CV's and I don't have a locker. It just doesn't make any sense to me for the money. Usually people who buy lockers are rock crawlers or extreme trail riders who need the suspension height and the strength of a soild axle, not a 1" - 3" IFS lift. The one positive thing about the ARB which you said, is that it changes back to an open diff when your off the trails.

I didn't intend to s**t on anyones parade, just my opinion, try to take everything in stride, it's just a forum.
CV's are certainly weaker than a built solid axle. No question. 750 for the locker, not 12, btw.

In my experience, the locker has prevented CV damage, not increased its likelyhood.

My recomendation to people is usually: Ask yourself what you are going to do with your truck.

If their budget and preferred method of wheeling is to run moderate to slightly difficult trails, have a road worthy DD, run up to a max of a 33 or at most a 35" tire, then modifying their IFS is a good plan, including the addition of an ARB air locker. It just makes sense for someone like that.

If they see themselves graduating into difficult to extreme trails, I recommend they don't waste any money on the IFS, and save up for an axle swap, and some beefy axle guts.

On this site, you find both kinds. Lots of people just want to drive trails, have a camping rig that can go up some rough stuff, and drive well on the street.

And my parade hasn't been soiled. I'm well aware of the limits of my IFS. Its still fun to drive, which is the only reason I still have it.
Old 09-18-2009, 12:35 PM

I like my IFS...I'll probably keep it and slowly build on it. A lot of the breakage can be prevented by the driver...Just my thoughts.
Old 09-18-2009, 01:25 PM
tc
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I get the impression you don't 'wheel much (people who do, don't usually brag about their shift knob in their sig), and may not know what you're talking about...

CV's are no weaker than stock Birfs - THAT has been proven.

A front locker PREVENTS damage to the front end in more scenarios than it CAUSES damage:
- an open diff spins up the side off the ground to 2X the ring gear speed. When the wheel comes back down, there is a tremendous shock load to the system from the violent deceleration. This has claimed MANY CV's and spider gears. Here's the thing though - this situation is largely unavoidable! If you want to keep moving in an open-open truck, you have to be on the throttle in these situations, and it's often hard to tell exactly when a wheel is going to unweight.
- a locker keeps the wheel spinning at the same speed whether it's on the ground or not, which eliminates this impact load.
- A locker minimizes the need to be on the throttle so heavy in the first place, which minimizes stress on all parts of the vehicle.
- A locker will increase the potential for damage in only ONE scenario - a wedged wheel. But here's the thing - if the wheel is wedged that hard, you ain't making that line anyways, and need to back off and try again! This scenario is TOTALLY preventable by line selection.

I can tell you that my desire to avoid body/glass damage is what keeps me off the absolute hardest trails in colorado - not the capability of the rig. In just about every case, the driver is more a liability than the front suspension/axle.

There seems to be a common e-thought that you need a SFA to 'wheel, and that is ABSOLUTELY not true.

Last edited by tc; 09-18-2009 at 01:27 PM.
Old 09-18-2009, 05:02 PM

Well said TC!!!

If you don't watch yourself someone might think that you know a little something.

Quick Reply: limited slip up front?