Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Lifting the 'ol beast

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2008, 10:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
yeah, can ya imagine trying to find a straight axle for that? Looks like they finally made a vehicle to cater to the midget/dwarf/little people population.....

Last edited by a4runnerfreak; 12-01-2008 at 10:15 AM.
Old 12-01-2008, 12:48 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 91Toyota
Going further isn't the point. Yes you can climb rocks and play in mud like a usual 4x4 person would. I on the other hand...will be doing 60mph on gravel roads and can actually jump my truck. Can you do that? Just saying......
I have lifted my 87 2WD using Fabtech's 6" Ivan Dan lift so I know what I'm talking about. I had limited slip with 4.56 gears. Trust me even with a locker you are not going to go far. Besides I seen all your off road adventures and with your 2wd lift you will not be going far. Don't get me wrong my lifted 2wd was cool but getting stuck alot got old fast.

James
Old 12-01-2008, 12:58 PM

Originally Posted by JamesD
I have lifted my 87 2WD using Fabtech's 6" Ivan Dan lift so I know what I'm talking about. I had limited slip with 4.56 gears. Trust me even with a locker you are not going to go far. Besides I seen all your off road adventures and with your 2wd lift you will not be going far. Don't get me wrong my lifted 2wd was cool but getting stuck alot got old fast.

James
So the point of wheeling is NOT getting stuck? Everywhere I have been in my area I could have made it with my brothers 4x4 Toyota truck (stock). Yeah I've been stuck lots of times. Driver error and getting high centered on the axle are the major ones.

I know for a fact that my 2wd truck will never go farther than a 4x4 one will. Again...the point is having fun. I don't think I'm going to buy the kit anyway...because I am buying a 1980 Toyota 2wd for $100...that I think I want to convert over to a 4x4.
Old 12-01-2008, 02:10 PM

Originally Posted by JamesD
Why? Unless your in the desert, getting stuck in a lifted 2wd sucks. Waste your money on a 4wd conversion or an actual 4wd truck. I see how you like to go off road and a long travel 2wd is not going to get you any farther.

James
Listen to James.

Going further isn't the point. Yes you can climb rocks and play in mud like a usual 4x4 person would. I on the other hand...will be doing 60mph on gravel roads and can actually jump my truck. Can you do that? Just saying.....
You're going to have to spend a lot more money if you want to jump it without breaking something every 2 minutes. From the pics of where you wheel you need 4wd.

So the point of wheeling is NOT getting stuck? Everywhere I have been in my area I could have made it with my brothers 4x4 Toyota truck (stock). Yeah I've been stuck lots of times. Driver error and getting high centered on the axle are the major ones.

I know for a fact that my 2wd truck will never go farther than a 4x4 one will. Again...the point is having fun. I don't think I'm going to buy the kit anyway...because I am buying a 1980 Toyota 2wd for $100...that I think I want to convert over to a 4x4.

Why are you wasting money on ANOTHER 2wd? I'm not trying to crap on 2wd trucks they have their purpose but offroading isn't usually one of them.

Keep looking on craigslist for the next month or so and save your money in that time and I can almost guarantee something will come along. You'll be much happier with it in the end.
Old 12-01-2008, 03:00 PM

I say, you make a trip to Las Vegas, party a little, gamble a little, then buy this...

http://lasvegas.craigslist.org/cto/935610032.html
Old 12-01-2008, 03:10 PM

Originally Posted by Snotrocket
Why are you wasting money on ANOTHER 2wd? I'm not trying to crap on 2wd trucks they have their purpose but offroading isn't usually one of them.
Why would I want a 4wd with IFS

Why waste my money on a 4wd truck when all the components are getting ripped out anyway??

Maybe you don't understand.

My plan;

Buy 2wd truck (at least $800 cheaper!)
Convert to 4x4 w/ straight axle
Chevy 350 w th350
Old 12-01-2008, 04:05 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Why waste my money on a 4wd truck when all the components are getting ripped out anyway??

My plan;

Convert to 4x4 w/ straight axle
Chevy 350 w th350
By your logic, why start with a 2wd truck?
the front end is going to get ripped out anyways...

I find it a lot easier to take parts off then put new ones on... and often, it's cheaper to boot.
you'll have to change the trans (likely more expensive than a solid front axle)...
you'll have to buy the drive shafts (yes, both)....
oh, and you'll have to get a solid axle anyways....
Starting with a 4wd 'yota to begin with is cheaper in the long run since 3/4 of the work is already done.
And an IFS truck is quite capable for your purposes... considering the pics I've seen.

Last edited by abecedarian; 12-01-2008 at 04:06 PM.
Old 12-01-2008, 05:14 PM

Here you go. Parts alone are worth way more:
http://denver.craigslist.org/cto/939596504.html
Old 12-01-2008, 05:50 PM

Originally Posted by ovrrdrive
I sincerely hope that isn't the future of offroading...

I'll move to Iceland if it is.
that's a photo shopped audi
Old 12-01-2008, 05:55 PM

Originally Posted by Taco Eater
that's a photo shopped audi
c'mon, the shadows are correct... even the driver's position is right
still funny though... and actually, totally possible given the 'modularity' of the Smart car.
Old 12-01-2008, 07:01 PM

Originally Posted by abecedarian
By your logic, why start with a 2wd truck?
the front end is going to get ripped out anyways...

I find it a lot easier to take parts off then put new ones on... and often, it's cheaper to boot.
you'll have to change the trans (likely more expensive than a solid front axle)...
you'll have to buy the drive shafts (yes, both)....
oh, and you'll have to get a solid axle anyways....
Starting with a 4wd 'yota to begin with is cheaper in the long run since 3/4 of the work is already done.
And an IFS truck is quite capable for your purposes... considering the pics I've seen.
True...but.

I'm going to change the trans no matter what...whether its a 2wd/4wd. Driveshafts...it would be the same either way. Solid axle...duh. How is 3/4 of the work done? So, because it has 1 axle and a cross member that equals 3/4's?

IFS is capable...but all I've got is time. I'm in no rush. I might not even buy a Toyota either. The pics you probably saw were on tight trails. I can't make it up the hard trails. Thats obviously why I wouldn't take a pic.

Okay...so how hard would a solid axle conversion using the 20r be? I would need trans, x-case, both axles, driveshafts, and x member?

So, by spending lets say $1k more on a 4x4. Can I buy trans/x-case/axles for less than a grand???
Old 12-01-2008, 07:02 PM

Originally Posted by ScottyC
Here you go. Parts alone are worth way more:
http://denver.craigslist.org/cto/939596504.html
Next time I have an extra $5k laying around I'll make sure to pick that up!
Old 12-01-2008, 07:33 PM

True...but.

I'm going to change the trans no matter what...whether its a 2wd/4wd. Driveshafts...it would be the same either way. Solid axle...duh. How is 3/4 of the work done? So, because it has 1 axle and a cross member that equals 3/4's?
Why change the transmission? Why?
If its a 4wd with transfer case WHY are you going to replace the transmission? Maybe I can see an issue if you go dual xfer cases... but ... nevermind.

Driveshafts: if the trans is in place, you obviously won't have to replace the rear shaft. The front, maybe depending on what you do... and given that, maybe the rear shaft too.
IFS is capable...but all I've got is time. I'm in no rush. I might not even buy a Toyota either. The pics you probably saw were on tight trails. I can't make it up the hard trails. Thats obviously why I wouldn't take a pic.
Yep. You go out of your way driving, come here posting pics about what your 2wd can do and where it's been and how close you were to being stuck.... If you were embarrassed, that's why we didn't see pics... c'mon... admit it.
Okay...so how hard would a solid axle conversion using the 20r be? I would need trans, x-case, both axles, driveshafts, and x member?

So, by spending lets say $1k more on a 4x4. Can I buy trans/x-case/axles for less than a grand???
so, transmission, transfer case, differentials (you want them to have the same ratio, right?), axles and...? hi-steer? (easier starting with a 4wd truck, btw).

and all this time I thought you cared...?
Old 12-01-2008, 07:35 PM

I was talking about putting a chevy 350 in it. Never mind all this crap...look at my other thread
Old 12-01-2008, 09:33 PM

My plan;

,Convert to 4x4 w/ straight axle
Chevy 350 w th350
Oh trust me, I'm not bagging on you in any way. I think all builds are cool, no matter. I just wonder what else would have to be done? Is the frame the same? I know the fenders don't have the same large opening. Other than that, wiring, rear axle, and so on. My guess was just starting with something that is 4x4 might make the job easier? I had an 89 and got in crap tons of trouble with it. Good trouble though. I took it on the Rubicon and it did pretty well. I had to take the high road on some stuff but it did okay. Anyway, I'll be reading along to see what you do. I have seen a SandRail make it over the Rubicon!! I have the pics but they were in the days before digital cameras. I'll scan and post em for ya! As for me, I have a headgasket to get working on. Waiting on parts from LC Engineering.
Old 12-02-2008, 05:47 AM

Next time I have an extra $5k laying around I'll make sure to pick that up!
You'll be way more into that xtra cab basket case than $5000 with a 350 swap in it.