Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

ITS alive! 3.0 afm mod!

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2008, 05:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
After reading this thread, I got motivated and I bought one off of ebay....My truck is bone stock and I'm curious to see if this will make a difference with my gas mileage. I'll keep you guys posted!
Old 07-02-2008, 06:22 PM

I hope this mod is good as it seems. i love my yota, but it needs to be a bit more efficient for todays gas prices. keep us posted
Old 07-02-2008, 06:49 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
would this pass CA smog?

Or would it just be something to have installed except for when taking it to get smogged?
Old 07-02-2008, 07:29 PM
Contributing Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Well, I doubt you would be pulluting more, and the monkeys at the smog place probibly won't notice the difference...
Old 07-02-2008, 08:30 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Just as a thought, you might want to pick up a nice little digital camera. They are pretty cheap and are far superior to that cell phone you're using.

My 3 cents. And maybe one with a good macro function, for those close up shots.
Old 07-03-2008, 12:47 AM

im going to pay the junk yard alittle visit tomorrow.
is it hard to adjust the afm?
Old 07-03-2008, 03:11 AM

Nice job, but what are you using for a camera I want to make sure I never get one.
Old 07-03-2008, 04:51 AM

lmao about my camera!! my cell phone is the camera and i havea HTC8125 cell phone that has been dropped, kicked, underwater, used to open beer bottles and anything else i can use it for. its a pocket pc and it 6 years old the pics would have been bettter however i didnt change the settings to help with the close up ( my bad)
Old 07-03-2008, 05:36 AM

So, does this actually cause the engine to run leaner? I'd like to find out before I do this, I'd rather pay for a little more gas than an engine rebuild.
Old 07-03-2008, 05:42 AM

sneaky there are 2 schools of thought on that !

1 yes it will run leaner because the afm is bringing in more air
2 no because the afm measures air flow which by bringing more in would tell the computer to give more gas as well so everything would equal out

hang on a min there is a link i need to find about this ill post in a couple mins
Old 07-03-2008, 05:48 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
if your worried about it, just get a air/fuel ratio gauge
Old 07-03-2008, 05:57 AM

http://www.autoshop101.com/techartic...larticles.html

there are many article about how the system works here check it out !

in the mean time im not really concerned about running lean the o2 sensor will throw a code if that happens or i could by a gauge but all in all im not that concerned
Old 07-03-2008, 06:16 AM

I'm curious about his mod. I normally see about 220 miles to 1/4 tank so I'm not impressed with the mileage. I'm more concerned with power. I'd like more power at lower RPM's - less lugging below 2000 RPM's and I'd like torque to be peaking lower so I don't have to rev the thing so much to get up hills.
Old 07-03-2008, 06:40 AM

victor your getting 220to a 1/4 of gas that not possible or are you getting 220 with a 1/4 tank left? and the impressive thing here is as i stated before im runn 33s and an auto and have more power the mileage isnt all that impressive by its self however i am seeing more torque at a greater band

truely i was not expecting this to A) work and B) be impressive but after dooing it i can say that i AM getting better fuel milage and more USEABLE torque that that in itself for a 15$ mod well ill take !!

this is also the first couple days and i plan on reporting for atleast 2 weeks to get accurate fuell mileage and such
Old 07-03-2008, 07:44 AM

My thoughts are that you are just leaning out the engine, giving you increased performance.

This would be fairly easy to test, doing a 'before and after' voltage reading on the o2 sensor.

You should really do the math on your MPG and dont forget to adjust for your tire size.

As a side note, my 4runner 94' 3.0 with 31's got 16.5mpg this weekend driving mostly highway, stuck in a traffic jam for about 15 minutes. I have the stock roof rack on and am using the no spare tire mod for weight savings ;p
...oh and thats using AC most of the time, except on hills.
Old 07-03-2008, 10:23 AM

well the light is gonna come on soon which means i will have 2 gallons left. that being said im at 292miles on the trip meter. 292 x the 10%( roughly ) im off because of larger tires will equal 321 actual miles traveled on one tank of gas. to your point t8bird My 3.0 auto with 488 gears and 285s( which measure 32.9) i got roughly 17.83 mpg. and that is everyday type stop and ago traffic plus highway comute.

this is a combo of city driving and highway driving. i also was in one traffic jam which took an hour to move 1 mile. all of this mileage was with the a/c on. this mth i will be all over the state for work which should rack up close to 2000 or more miles mostly highway.

like i have said before "this is a test" so after one mth of driving i/we will have the true figures in hand to determine if this mod is worth anything

im just like everyone else here trying to find a way to get better OVERALL preformance out of my rig!

lastly thanks to everyone speaking up with differnt ideas and questions. i dont want to miss anything in this test. and i dont pretend to know everything especially numbers and engineering. so we shall see what happens at the end of this mth .
Old 07-03-2008, 11:03 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by swaycleveland
well the light is gonna come on soon which means i will have 2 gallons left. that being said im at 292miles on the trip meter. 292 x the 10%( roughly ) im off because of larger tires will equal 321 actual miles traveled on one tank of gas. to your point t8bird My 3.0 auto with 488 gears and 285s( which measure 32.9) i got roughly 17.83 mpg. and that is everyday type stop and ago traffic plus highway comute.

this is a combo of city driving and highway driving. i also was in one traffic jam which took an hour to move 1 mile. all of this mileage was with the a/c on. this mth i will be all over the state for work which should rack up close to 2000 or more miles mostly highway.

like i have said before "this is a test" so after one mth of driving i/we will have the true figures in hand to determine if this mod is worth anything

im just like everyone else here trying to find a way to get better OVERALL preformance out of my rig!

lastly thanks to everyone speaking up with differnt ideas and questions. i dont want to miss anything in this test. and i dont pretend to know everything especially numbers and engineering. so we shall see what happens at the end of this mth .
interested to see how this turns out. what type of mileage did you get from a full tank before?
Old 07-03-2008, 11:11 AM

16/20
Old 07-03-2008, 11:25 AM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
UPDATE ON TURNING BACK THE AFM WHEEL

Well I did read the artical on 4CRAWLER about turning the wheel I started looking at it a bit more and found that you can cheat and not have to loosen the black coil wheel at all.

Here is how I did it after readin the artical

Once you find the coil instead of loosening the philps head and hoping it don't spin out of control I

1. Marked the original point on the big wheel with a sharpie

2. Held the big wheel steady with a couple fingers then

3. went to the coil end where it meets the big wheel and with a small pointed aual type driver GENTLEY moved the forked catch out just enough to stop it from making contact.

4. Once it was removed the big wheel was free to move clockwise or counter clockwise and I moved the big wheel 3 notches counter clockwise from the the marked point(fine point sharpie for marking and then the aual to scratch in a perminant mark) as was described in the update for the origianal poster DUARTIZZLE

I will be installing mine on Saturday and seeing if it will be fine or further adjustments are needed. But as it states in the 4CRAWLER artical NO MORE THEN 3 CLICKS EITHER DIRECTION and if more adjustment is needed I will drill out the adjustment screw to fine tune it as needed.

Hope this helps someone trying this a little or even a lot and I will keep updateing my results but my 3.4 swap is going to go down very soon so if I loss my motor it will not be a big loss but some to experiment with for you guy/girls having the 3.0 as the primary motor in your trucks.

Last edited by olharleyman; 07-03-2008 at 11:34 AM.
Old 07-03-2008, 11:27 AM

Are you going to fill up soon to get your true MPG?

Anyone know how much these AFMs sell for? I am interested.

ps
This seems like a cheap price for doing an intake tube replacement, all I need to do is weld in some fittings for the lines that went to the oem piece and shorten it to length.

http://store.max-redline.com/servlet...ee-Bend/Detail

Quick Reply: ITS alive! 3.0 afm mod!