Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

IFS VS. Straight axle

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2008, 10:00 AM

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
Aside from everything else solid axles look cool!
Old 12-29-2008, 10:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by abecedarian
Me? Yeah... cause then if I decide to SAS I can sell all the parts to fund it. And then I'll know for certain if IFS is capable or not. And I'll have the rear already done where I want it so can concentrate on the front.
I meant is he seriously asking the question lol....if you have to ask an online message board whether or not to SAS you don't need to. save your money and have fun with what you have already.

Last edited by 89silverpu; 12-29-2008 at 10:13 AM.
Old 12-29-2008, 10:21 AM

I dont think a messege board is such a bad place to push you over the edge into SA land.
There are quite a few people on here who I have a ton of respect for and value their opinions. The repeated statement "if you have to ask you don't need it" is not only arrogant it is ignorant.
I think message boards are GREAT sources for knowledge and info. Why shouldn't the idea to transition to a SAS be partly relegated to a message board

Last edited by toyospearo; 12-29-2008 at 10:27 AM.
Old 12-29-2008, 10:24 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Save your money for lockers and gears
Old 12-29-2008, 10:56 AM
Banned

Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by toyospearo
I dont think a messege board is such a bad place to push you over the edge into SA land.
There are quite a few people on here who I have a ton of respect for and value their opinions. The repeated statement "if you have to ask you don't need it" is not only arrogant it is ignorant.
I think message boards are GREAT sources for knowledge and info. Why shouldn't the idea to transition to a SAS be partly relegated to a message board
Simple answer. Baby steps.

As you will soon discover, doing a SAS on a vehicle is a HUGE expense of labor and parts and typically a SAS is only the beginning of the expenditures. The SAS is the first snowball that builds the snowman.

Going from a built IFS truck to a SAS is one thing, but from a stock truck to a SAS (assuming no previous wheeling experience or knowledge thereof) is a leap at best. Sure it is doable, but unadvisable and unneccessary IMO.

Wheel what you got. If you want more, go for it.

I started with a $20K 3rd gen and built it. Then I decided I really didn't want to bash and thrash on a $20K truck that was less than 5 years old.

Now I bash on a 23+ year old truck that is $20K.

Wheel IFS. Wheel SAS. Wheel your big wheel. Just wheel. I have come to remember this after taking a break and working on my own trucks again over the holidays.

Old 12-29-2008, 11:04 AM

Well put Wabbit, I think you are becoming a great philosopher!
Old 12-29-2008, 11:08 AM

At this point my snowball is somewhere between pre school and adolescence and I am looking at a dual transfer case.
Damn this is fun!
Originally Posted by waskillywabbit
Simple answer. Baby steps.

As you will soon discover, doing a SAS on a vehicle is a HUGE expense of labor and parts and typically a SAS is only the beginning of the expenditures. The SAS is the first snowball that builds the snowman.

Going from a built IFS truck to a SAS is one thing, but from a stock truck to a SAS (assuming no previous wheeling experience or knowledge thereof) is a leap at best. Sure it is doable, but unadvisable and unneccessary IMO.

Wheel what you got. If you want more, go for it.

I started with a $20K 3rd gen and built it. Then I decided I really didn't want to bash and thrash on a $20K truck that was less than 5 years old.

Now I bash on a 23+ year old truck that is $20K.

Wheel IFS. Wheel SAS. Wheel your big wheel. Just wheel. I have come to remember this after taking a break and working on my own trucks again over the holidays.

Old 12-29-2008, 11:59 AM
tc
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by waskillywabbit
Wheel IFS. Wheel SAS. Wheel your big wheel. Just wheel.
That's signature material right there!
Old 12-29-2008, 12:06 PM
Banned

Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by jsn_stockard
Well put Wabbit, I think you are becoming a great philosopher!
I have a Masters in BS (seriously)

Originally Posted by toyospearo
At this point my snowball is somewhere between pre school and adolescence and I am looking at a dual transfer case.
Damn this is fun!
Just remember me when you come into your money tree.

Originally Posted by tc
That's signature material right there!
Glad to know my fodder is good for something these days.

Old 12-29-2008, 12:39 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You guys ever wonder what happens to the thread starters? Seems like there is always some random hero that asks a question and the same 6 or so guys beat the subject to death along with each other, only never to hear from the OP again? just curious if I was the only one that thought that.
Old 12-29-2008, 12:51 PM

Originally Posted by 91Toyota
Thats why you see IFS rigs with 44" tires on them

I guess if your running 29" stock tires then yeah sure.

first off where do you see a 22re pushing 44inch tires?????? second I run 33''s with 5.29s and IFS, my best friend I wheel with runs dana 44 axles and 33''s (and hes ezlock rear im only posi) and guess who does better in mud ? not the rig that does better in the rocks.

not to be dick but I was speaking real life trail applications not some huge piece of mud truck that has nothing left that is toyota but the body panels. Notice I said in the mud not built for mud........The best rigs take you wherever you want to go not just one place one use. enough web wheeling for me ill shut it now.

Last edited by Slowstrike; 12-29-2008 at 01:00 PM.
Old 12-29-2008, 01:42 PM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by tc
No, not crazy - he was and asking for like a girlie girl just before this picture was taken. (Note, the strap is just for stability - it wasn't hooked to a vehicle)

But then after seeing him, I didn't even try it, so there's not much I can say ...

No crying, but did ask for help....LOL. I didn't like that "Slip and I'm rolling into a big crack" feel. But yeah, did get pretty nervous.
Old 12-29-2008, 02:04 PM
Contributing Member

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts
AxleIke, that's good stuff right there; I love seeing IFS wheeling vids, nobody seems to want to post any. Sure there's the IFS Flex thread, but that's just a collection of pics; videos are where it's at I say that, and of caurse I only have one wheeling vid of my 91 IFS... romping through some muddy-nastyness out back one day, lol

Aside from that, like I said before, I like my IFS, and it does me well, but like everyone else has said, and is going to say, it does in fact depend on the plans for the truck.

In Florida, about the most crazy thing I'll have to flex on to get over is a high curb in the parking lots, and it handles those very well I might add

On another note, it's also my DD, so a SAS really wouldn't be practicle for me; plus my IFS rides FAR better on the road than any SASed vehicle I've ever been in...
Old 12-29-2008, 02:13 PM

@ superbleeder i agree! if ifs works for you and the trails/wheelin you do then it would be a waste of time and money to sas. its all about building a rig to fit your specific needs.
Old 12-29-2008, 02:25 PM
Contributing Member

What's wrong with my solution... I think it is cheaper.

That is, buy one of each! I like 'em both. The rugged nature of the solid axle, and the smooth handling of the independent suspension.

Then again, my wife puts the most miles on both.
Old 12-29-2008, 02:27 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
How about quick-disconnect subframe assemblies... one IFS and one SAS?
Old 12-29-2008, 02:27 PM
Contributing Member

well I'm spending some money on my IFS right now, so I'm not going to claim that staying IFS is still cheaper than a SAS, lol

idler arm brace, BJ-spacers, diff drop, t-case cross member, all new tie-rod ends, all bew BJs, all new shocks, yada yada yada...

Old 12-29-2008, 02:29 PM

haha, there ya go! lol
Old 12-29-2008, 02:30 PM
Contributing Member

tell ya what, you make one, and I'll consider buying a kit from you
Old 12-29-2008, 02:31 PM

we can use your 4runner for the first one!

Quick Reply: IFS VS. Straight axle