86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

IFS to SAS

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2009, 07:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
IFS to SAS

How hard is it to do a SAS (solid axle swap)?
Old 01-05-2009, 07:21 PM
Banned

Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts
Like anything else in life, depends on your skills, tools and experience.

Old 01-05-2009, 07:21 PM

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
OH thats what SAS stands for. Ummmmm I'm gonna say if you have to ask that question you probly dont need a SAS.

sorry....
Old 01-05-2009, 07:32 PM

Originally Posted by toylocost
OH thats what SAS stands for. Ummmmm I'm gonna say if you have to ask that question you probly dont need a SAS.

sorry....
He wasn't asking if he needs to do a swap he wanted to know how hard it was...Wabfab answered his question perfectly. Quite the attitude coming from a guy with his 4runner "flexed out" in on his lawn and calls it 4wheeling.

Search SAS and there will be a ton of builds and tech info on many different kinds of solid axle swaps.

Last edited by 89silverpu; 01-05-2009 at 07:33 PM.
Old 01-05-2009, 07:32 PM
Contributing Member

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by toylocost

sorry....
and I'm going to say that if you quote SAS and define what the acronym means, you yourself looked into changing your independent front end over to a solid axel, and in the process found the 3 letters SAS, and probably know what's involved for the most part.

and I'll agree with toylocost; if you have to ask, you probably don't need it, and will probably be overwhelmed if you were to dig into it right away with a LOT or research

as 89 said, search; the YT forums are FILLED with SAS threads

Last edited by iamsuperbleeder; 01-05-2009 at 07:34 PM.
Old 01-05-2009, 07:39 PM

Received 120 Likes on 59 Posts
GOOD GOD HELP US ALLLLLL !!!!

Old 01-05-2009, 07:44 PM

honestly, pretty simple.. so far iv done my own SAS and helped out on two others. can be a pain at times.. make sure you have all your parts, tools, and materials ready. expect to use every cuss word in the book and possibly create some new ones. it really helps to have a torch or a plasma handy, you will need them for doing the frame tubes, though i have heard of people using a hole saw.. not so fun in my oppinion. you can cut the ifs brackets off with a sawzall or a grinder if you like, its dirty and takes longer but if you dont have the torch it can be done. It took me and a friend a weeknd to get my runner all done. just be precise.. and if something just doesnt look right, its probably not.. take it apart and try again. on my 4runner the biggest PITA was having the cut the front drive line bolts off at the t/c, the PO locktighted and rounded them off... hence the use of excessive cursing lol but once you drop it on all 4 tires and see what you have accomplished it is well worth it.
Old 01-05-2009, 07:45 PM

Sorry, dind't mean for it to come off so harsh.

Originally Posted by 89silverpu
Quite the attitude coming from a guy with his 4runner "flexed out" in on his lawn and calls it 4wheeling.
Never called it 4wheeling, its just an avatar. At least it is flexed I guess.
Old 01-05-2009, 07:47 PM

Originally Posted by 86Toyrunna
honestly, pretty simple.. so far iv done my own SAS and helped out on two others. can be a pain at times.. make sure you have all your parts, tools, and materials ready. expect to use every cuss word in the book and possibly create some new ones. it really helps to have a torch or a plasma handy, you will need them for doing the frame tubes, though i have heard of people using a hole saw.. not so fun in my oppinion. you can cut the ifs brackets off with a sawzall or a grinder if you like, its dirty and takes longer but if you dont have the torch it can be done. It took me and a friend a weeknd to get my runner all done. just be precise.. and if something just doesnt look right, its probably not.. take it apart and try again. on my 4runner the biggest PITA was having the cut the front drive line bolts off at the t/c, the PO locktighted and rounded them off... hence the use of excessive cursing lol but once you drop it on all 4 tires and see what you have accomplished it is well worth it.

Now theres a good answer.
Old 01-05-2009, 07:49 PM

Originally Posted by 86Toyrunna

I used a hole saw on the frame tubes and broke 5 pilot bits and created 15 new profanities
Old 01-05-2009, 07:49 PM
tc
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Get out and 'wheel your truck first.

KNOW that you need a SAS before listening to the web wheelers who spend more time in the shop than on the trail.
Old 01-05-2009, 07:56 PM

Originally Posted by tc

KNOW that you need a SAS before listening to the web wheelers who spend more time in the shop than on the trail.

Old 01-05-2009, 08:05 PM

Originally Posted by tc

Don't listen to anyone else. If you NEED it then do it.

->Overall though he didn't ask whether or not he needed it, he asked how hard it was.
Old 01-05-2009, 09:37 PM

Thnx 86 torunner and 91toyota for understanding the question.
Old 01-05-2009, 09:50 PM

Your welcome. Sorry if some people come off harsh here. Its a great site. Some people just get grumpy answering the same questions over and over. Enjoy your stay!
Old 01-05-2009, 09:53 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
what's a web wheeler?
Old 01-05-2009, 10:44 PM

what's a web wheeler?
some one who's online talking about wheeling or trucks and stuff more than actually going out to wheel.

and i agree with tc. go out and wheel a little, find out how far you can go with what little flex you have and if you dont like it do the sas. thats my next job. from what i'v seen they dont look too hard. just take a little time and experience with cutting and welding and a little mechanics. either way good luck
Old 01-05-2009, 10:54 PM

Originally Posted by 91Toyota
Don't listen to anyone else. If you NEED it then do it.

->Overall though he didn't ask whether or not he needed it, he asked how hard it was.

you have a point, he didnt ask whether he needed one or not, only he knows if he needs a SAS or not. he may may be a newb to an SAS but he may not be a newb to wheeling.

i personally dont have the experience or the tools to do an SAS myself, but i am far from a newb to wheeling.

i need an SAS too though, and so do u lol

Last edited by sa51; 01-05-2009 at 10:58 PM.
Old 01-05-2009, 10:55 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by kinzer
some one who's online talking about wheeling or trucks and stuff more than actually going out to wheel.

and i agree with tc. go out and wheel a little, find out how far you can go with what little flex you have and if you dont like it do the sas. thats my next job. from what i'v seen they dont look too hard. just take a little time and experience with cutting and welding and a little mechanics. either way good luck
you did catch the sarcasm right?
Old 01-05-2009, 10:59 PM

Originally Posted by abecedarian
what's a web wheeler?

The answer is you, Abe

Quick Reply: IFS to SAS