Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

I Got Hit By A Tractor-trailer And Survived!!!!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2007, 08:44 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
holy hell dude you got all my prayers to get to 100%... terrible... get well!
Old 09-12-2007, 08:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
wow dude, def. get that truck driver!

when i was in 8th grade my mom and i got hit by a tractor trailer in our 98 4runner and rolled and flipped and caught on fire. neither one of us had life threatening injuries though. that ford looks like someone died in it, thank god you didnt!

oh, and can i get a full size image of your avatar? i want to make it into a shirt and give them to my jeep buddies! and keep one for myself of course!
Old 09-12-2007, 08:51 AM

Good luck in your recovery as it will be a long one. Amazing story, it will def get plenty of us thinking the next time we hit the pavement. Cheers to your survival and will.
Old 09-12-2007, 09:21 AM
Contributing Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
wow! Thats insane, did the truck driver ever say what happend?

I hope you heal up good!
Old 09-12-2007, 09:46 AM

Damn, you're one lucky SOB!
Old 09-12-2007, 03:34 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Jay351
wow! Thats insane, did the truck driver ever say what happend?

I hope you heal up good!
While I was in the hospital, my sister in law(my guardian at the time) informed me that the tractor trailer wanted to come an apologize. At that time I was not mentally ready. What's sorry gonna do for me if you know what I mean. The damage had already been done.
Old 09-12-2007, 03:36 PM

if you do sue and you get on the tv show you should do a shout out to your fellow yota tech membbers haha
Old 09-12-2007, 03:39 PM

and also glad you are alive and hope you feel better
Old 09-12-2007, 03:41 PM

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Reap the free health care my friend. Good luck on your journey to a normal life.
Old 09-12-2007, 03:43 PM
Contributing Member

That is insane. Glad your okay. I can't even imagine what you have and are going through.
I think my buddies band needs to get you a shirt. www.hitbyasemi.com
Seriously, one of the guys in the bands friend was hit and thats where the name comes from. I never thought I'd meet someone else who could wear that shirt and be serious about it!
Crazy. Good luck on the recovery.
Old 09-12-2007, 04:08 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by CJM
A few words of advice to people: Having worked as a tow truck driver and a roadside assistance driver and doing work on the highways: Always, always, always try and pull as far from the traffic as you can on the shoulder-even if half your vehicle is int he grass. Get out of the vehicle and stand in front of it about 20 feet away. This prevents you from what happened to the OP, cause you can jump outta the way.
Very good info there, but I would add that you should limp the vehicle to the next exit, and use the shoulder on the exit, if at all possible. If you are on a two-lane, look for a parking area, or at least a wide spot in the road to pull over.

I'm constantly amazed at how often I see people use the shoulder for breaks and driver changes, especially when the exits are near by!

Anyway, I'm glad that you made it through this incident, and I hope that you continue to have a good recovery!
Old 09-12-2007, 04:12 PM

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by CJM
Wow, thats some scary story. Thank god your alright now!

A few words of advice to people: Having worked as a tow truck driver and a roadside assistance driver and doing work on the highways: Always, always, always try and pull as far from the traffic as you can on the shoulder-even if half your vehicle is int he grass. Get out of the vehicle and stand in front of it about 20 feet away. This prevents you from what happened to the OP, cause you can jump outta the way.
The OP was in the car when he got hit...
Old 09-12-2007, 04:34 PM

About 20 years ago I was driving a motorcycle when a woman pulled out in front of me and stopped, blocking both lanes. I woke up in the street with my right leg broken just below the hip and folded under my body. I remember looking toward my left shoulder and realizing my head was resting on my right foot. After 3 days in a coma and about a month in the hospital I was sent home. It took me about a year to walk again. I still struggle with my lack of ability.

You are very lucky. But you still have the 2nd half of the battle of your life ahead of you. When progress is slow DO NOT give up! Fight every day for another victory in your journey to recover Take care of those that are taking care of you. And every morning when you wake, say thank you for being able to breath another breath and have another day on this side of the dirt.
Old 09-12-2007, 04:59 PM
CJM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by KevinInSac
The OP was in the car when he got hit...
I know that, thats why I said my piece. I personally try and stand away from a vehicle on the highway when I stop. If I am doing a job I use my truck to block traffic, put out road cones and such and use my lights. if I am towing I sometimes push or pull the car into the grass before winching it up.
Old 09-12-2007, 05:05 PM
Contributing Member

amazing story, glad to hear you are on the mend. thoughts and prayers are with you for your continued recovery.

lee
Old 09-12-2007, 05:22 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Holy crap.....Just seems unreal....I think it's awesome your laughing about some of the stuff now. Hope you have a good recovery, and hope you and your family will be well taken care of with the insurance.

I grew up in Calgary so I know exactly where all that stuff happend to you.

Your story made me think of the tractor accident aftermath I saw. Me and my friend were driving out to Chestermere where we went to high school at the time. We saw this accident scene where the semi driver was blinded by the sun, missed a stop sign and plowed into our friend who was trying to make a turn. Luckily she was hit on the passenger side and must have had someone looking out for her as the only thing that you could make out on the car was the driver side door. (It looked alot like your pics auctually) She was lucky enough to walk away from it with just cuts and a few broken bones.

Anyway good luck to you.
Old 09-12-2007, 07:38 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by 04 Rocko Taco
Wow. Intense story, glad you made it through!! the car looks horrid. Whatever happened to the truck driver?
He sustained no injuries. He wanted to visit me while I was in the hospital but I wasn't up to it. I was in a lot of pain and didn't think his apology would do anything for me. I didn't know what to think.

We are suing him through his insurance company.
Old 09-12-2007, 07:42 PM

It is encouraging to hear you tell of your event and is nearly impossible for me to comprehend the pain and struggle you've gone through. Your will to live and perseverance through such a difficult trial is truly a remarkable example. I wish you well on your road to recovery.
Old 09-12-2007, 08:01 PM
Contributing Member

Received 34 Likes on 14 Posts
Wow! Very powerful story. I'm sorry for your pain & heartache & hope everything works out for you; you're OBVIOUSLY a strong person, keep your head screwed on straight & my prayers are with you in your struggle to recover.
Old 09-12-2007, 08:19 PM

wow, makes me think twice if i ever have to pull over on the side of the highway, i remember seeing that crash on the news (i live in calgary)...good luck to you my fried!!!

Quick Reply: I Got Hit By A Tractor-trailer And Survived!!!!!!!!!!