Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

I dont change my oil...good or bad thing?

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2007, 03:32 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 4rnr
Draining my pan every 10k would constitute an oil change Though I did give thought to what would happen if I never drained the pan...

I may switch to a different oil if I get around to it, but again that would constitute an oil change. I do a slick 50 every once in a while, so maybe ill switch to a cheap to penzoil cheap dino oil.

My leak is likely valve covers its not the front seals. I know that for sure.

I know a syn will make an existing leak leak more.

I run a thinner oil bc I live in chicago, not california.
ok lets see... if you never drained the pan? sooner or later (probably sooner) the sludge will build up so much it will stop your engine from runnning, you will throw a rod through the engine due to not enough lubrication from old oil, and your truck wont run very well for long, and regarding not fixing the leak.... those psychotic federal environmentalists will probably come after you for leaking oil everywhere.
Old 09-12-2007, 04:50 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I had an Isuzu back in the day that leaked like that and I did the same thing you're doing now except that I used whatever brand of oil they had in the store when I was low and never changed the filter. I put 100,000 miles on it and sold it to my Dad who has put, get ready for this, another 275,000 on it and it just now has become undriveable because of the rings having so much blow-by and the valve train becoming almost completely worn out.

When he got the truck he fixed the oil leak, but he's worse about oil changes than I used to be and has probably only changed it about 3 times.

What you're doing is fine, and I don't even think $150 a year is that excessive money wise either. If you have and don't mind it, more power to you...

Btw, the wives tale of synth causing leaks is just that. Bunk...
Old 09-12-2007, 05:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ozziesironmanoffroad
gorilla glue? does that actually work???? it sounds pretty BAD.... im not sure id want gorilla in my engine.... in any amount....
NO I WAS KIDDING!!! If you do this only bad things will happen
Old 09-12-2007, 06:01 PM
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
You should change your oil every 3000miles like the rest of us. Your truck will be happy, and you will be happy. Fix that leak, and quit running that synthetic crap, for god sakes, Its a Toyota Pickup, not a Formula 1 racecar. Regular ol 10W-30 is what I run in California. It gets around 110 here in the summer, and 15 in the winter, and my oil works just fine. Just my opinion, I have never spent over $80 on oil in a year, and I especially don't want to have it leaking all over the pavement if I did.
Old 09-12-2007, 06:31 PM

The money argument is definatly valid and I may run something different.

As for leaking oil into the enviornment....Meh dont worry im a professional...no literally im an environmental compliance consulant

Seriously though I would never drive it on a public beach.
Old 09-12-2007, 07:55 PM

The money argument is defiantly valid and I may run something different.

As for leaking oil into the environment....Meh don't worry im a professional...no literally im an environmental compliance consultant

actually you may be saving money by just adding compared to changing it every 3k miles a oil change is around 20$ to 28$ for mobil1 I guess it depends on how many miles you travel in between having to add more oil.
also if you look on the air filter box it suggests every 12,000 miles for oil changes and 6,000 for more severe conditions.
Old 09-12-2007, 08:37 PM

The money argument is definatly valid and I may run something different.

As for leaking oil into the enviornment....Meh dont worry im a professional...no literally im an environmental compliance consulant

hahha that made me laugh
Old 09-12-2007, 09:42 PM

Just my two cents, not saying running heavier oil wont help pressure... but only up to a point. At some point, running heavier oil fools you by bumping up the pressure becuase its think.. but its running slow as a result..you guys that are running 50 weight. WOW. thats some serious thickl stuff; Id be worried about burning out an oil pump on your vehicle.

And its not that synth oil causes leaks, the reason you will notice a older car seem to leak more on synth is becuase all the things that make Synth better.. higher absorption and longevity are do in part to the tighter bonds that the molecules have.. as a result it is a "smaller" particle. Thats why synth oil does lub better, but also why its able to find its why out of your truck more. Most newer cars and truck recommend it, but older trucks.. like ours, (I drive 90 runner).. if you dont want to leak all over the place.. stick to regular oil. With leaky gaskets, rings that may or may not be allowing blow by.... as a mechanic I recommend using standard oil. Our engines where deisgned for it.

That being said, if blowing out that much oil dosent concern you.. and the EPA isnt knocking on your door.. no harm to your engine.

I agree with the oil sludge assesment...although; the concern with oil is when does it lose its ability to trap all that crap your engine leaves behind.. Unused gas, combustion burn off.. the stuff that turns it black. All modern oil is designed to absored god awlful amounts of this.. the 3k myth.. well its just that.. Back in the old says of regular SAE oil.. you had to change it every 3k.

That being said, im a religious season changer. Every season, so about every 3 to 4 months I change oil. The biggest difference between a truck goinr 150k and 250K is little things like oil.
Old 09-13-2007, 01:20 AM

Originally Posted by stormin94
, and quit running that synthetic crap, for god sakes, Its a Toyota Pickup, not a Formula 1 racecar.
You really have no idea what synthetic oil is do you?

Old 09-13-2007, 05:26 AM

I use $1 quarts of 10w40 every 3 weeks or so - no oil changes for me.
Old 09-13-2007, 02:08 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
and quit running that synthetic crap, for god sakes, Its a Toyota Pickup, not a Formula 1 racecar.
wow. you sir, are ignorant. plain and simple. grow up, do some research, and try to LEARN something for a change.

ugh. using thicker oil to fix leaks? come on, guys. seriously. i'm not even going to get into that. add this thread to my ignore list...

-shaeff

Last edited by shaeff; 09-13-2007 at 02:09 PM.
Old 09-13-2007, 02:47 PM
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by shaeff
wow. you sir, are ignorant. plain and simple. grow up, do some research, and try to LEARN something for a change.

ugh. using thicker oil to fix leaks? come on, guys. seriously. i'm not even going to get into that. add this thread to my ignore list...
-shaeff
If by ignorant, you mean highly educated, then no, I am not... Synthetic oil may not cause all leaks(though sometimes it does) it can make leaks worse, though not every time. Don't flame me next time, I got my together. You didn't see any sarcasm at all in that last post???

Originally Posted by ovrrdrive
You really have no idea what synthetic oil is do you?

Yes, I know what synthetic oil is. I was on a roll, come on!
Old 09-13-2007, 03:18 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
If by ignorant, you mean highly educated, then no, I am not... Synthetic oil may not cause all leaks(though sometimes it does) it can make leaks worse, though not every time. Don't flame me next time, I got my together. You didn't see any sarcasm at all in that last post???
heh, that's not what i was implying in the least bit. by ignorant, i meant ignorant. synthetic doesn't cause ANY leaks. it just makes the leaks you already have appear to be larger, as even a heavier weight of synthetic is still more viscous than an equivalent or lower weight dino oil.

but, assuming you're were'nt being serious, based on the above post, i apologize for jumping down your throat. it's difficult to catch sarcasm on the web. perhaps a "" would have better suited your last sentence.

oh well, i should stop caring, it's just the internet...

-shaeff
Old 09-13-2007, 03:48 PM

Xxxxx

Last edited by Gator; 09-13-2007 at 04:18 PM. Reason: decided I didn't need to say anything after all
Old 09-14-2007, 03:35 AM

Yes, I know what synthetic oil is. I was on a roll, come on!
Good answer...

You're right up my alley now.