Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

i backed into the garage too fast, look what happened (pics)

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2008, 12:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
update: goin through flap disks like crazy. i bought a $50 respirator.. not the best on the market but i'm breathing better. three sides of both frame rails are done, still have to get on my back and do the bottoms (ugh). i need new flap disks, though.

problems: my LSPV is so rusty it's almost unrecognizable. it has a line going to it, but no line coming from it, so at some point someone's done some modifications in some sort of attempt to take it out of the circuit. probably the reason for my strange intermittant brake problems. so, short of buying a new toyota LSPV from a junkyard, or buying one of those manual PVs (expensive and i'm broke), what's the best plan here?

i already cut the line going to it figuring that it wouldn't have fluid in it (there was no line coming out!), but of course, that one was still connected. so at the very least i need to cap that line somehow. can i just flare a fitting on the end of it and buy a cap that threads onto it or something?

i've got one spring eye bushing out (replacing with poly i already have), and i've torn one pack apart to add new leaves to it. the clamps that wrap from the bottom (non-overload) leaf - can i cut those off? a buddy said it'd be fine (he doesn't run them) but i can't help but think the springs will rotate on the center pin.

more pics if anyone cares...
Old 02-26-2008, 12:49 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Cool photos and write up. Thanks for posting, keep us updated.
Old 02-26-2008, 02:39 PM

Anyone know if it's vital to have a 2nd leaf that has bends in it to wrap around the eyes of the main leaf? My 2nd leaf is cracked, and the packs that I'm butchering to fix my sag don't have any similar leaves (they're too short).

It's kinda hard to describe so I can take photos if need be.

pics from today:

god damn mother #(%()@#% bushings:

into the void:

you can see what i'm talking about above in that pic, the wrap of the 2nd spring (it's on the top sort of)

preliminary spring pack:

the two new leaves are the black ones. they're pretty thick (and stiff), though, so i think i'm going to go with one of those in each pack, plus a thinner one (cut down in length a bit). should be better than it was, hopefully.
Old 02-27-2008, 02:35 PM

anyone have any idea about the springs?
Old 02-27-2008, 07:26 PM

Instead of using a flap disc I usually use a grinding wheel for rust removal. The grinding wheels last a lot longer!
Attached Thumbnails i backed into the garage too fast, look what happened (pics)-img_1216-small-.jpg   i backed into the garage too fast, look what happened (pics)-img_1215-small-.jpg  
Old 02-27-2008, 07:41 PM

Originally Posted by isaac338
anyone have any idea about the springs?

They are also known as military wrap springs. And I would replace with like. the springs are too important to miss something like that.
Old 02-28-2008, 09:19 AM

Originally Posted by 93Toyota PU
Instead of using a flap disc I usually use a grinding wheel for rust removal. The grinding wheels last a lot longer!
i'm finding the grinding wheels don't do a very good job. probably cause the frame has so many pitted areas that the grinding wheel has to grind the surrounding metal down to the level of the pits to get all the rust out. the flap disc takes the surface off, and i'll hit it with phosphoric acid prior to painting.

i should add that if in a year the rust has returned, i know i have to go back and get every bit of rust out. i'm willing to take the chance

Originally Posted by farmerj
They are also known as military wrap springs. And I would replace with like. the springs are too important to miss something like that.
military wrap springs wrap all the way around the spring eye. i have a second leaf like that but it's off a sammie or something cause it's way too short. these don't wrap all the way around, as per the pic. i can't find any toyota springs locally for cheap, so i'm going to just cut a longer spring to right up under the eyes and clamp it down real good. sometime i'll score some new second leaves and i'll replace them at that point

besides, if i break my main leaf it's a good excuse for some alcans or deavers or something

edit: after reading a bit more, farmerj is right - i'm looking for a military wrap spring. my bad, your information is gold

Last edited by isaac338; 02-28-2008 at 10:25 AM.
Old 02-28-2008, 09:37 AM

I got mine off of JC Whitney. Just stock springs. They came with the 2 mainsprings wrapped. Didn't break the bank either getting them. The ride has been great and in 6 months since I put them on, they have yet to sag at all.

I also installed a Marlin Crawler u-bolt flip kit, shock mounts and also 5 1/2" shackles at the same time.

I think I spent $325 total putting in the rear suspension for all parts.
Old 02-28-2008, 10:04 AM

Originally Posted by farmerj
I got mine off of JC Whitney. Just stock springs. They came with the 2 mainsprings wrapped. Didn't break the bank either getting them. The ride has been great and in 6 months since I put them on, they have yet to sag at all.

I also installed a Marlin Crawler u-bolt flip kit, shock mounts and also 5 1/2" shackles at the same time.

I think I spent $325 total putting in the rear suspension for all parts.
that's good to know. this is a temporary fix (always was planned to be), until this summer when i'll actually be working and i'll have some coin to fix stuff