Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

how hard is putting a stock rear tire carrier

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2007, 05:49 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
how hard is putting a stock rear tire carrier

look what i found in a junk yard for 20 bucks

the guy said he would sell it to me for 25 bucks.... the truck was hit in the back but with some paint this thing would be nice its not bent at all...

anyone ever installed these??? the tail gate looks different from mine...

o yeah my stock yota

anyone want to chime in on some tires?? i was thinking 31s because i do drive alot on the steets.. do you like your 31s yota techs?

Last edited by bigt; 11-28-2007 at 05:50 PM.
Old 11-28-2007, 06:00 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
May have to relocate/wire extra backup lights, not sure what else. As for the 31's, never been anything else on my runner as long as I've had it, and I love 'em.
Old 11-28-2007, 06:08 PM

think its worth the 20 bucks?
Old 11-28-2007, 06:12 PM

It'll make the rear sag more, but that can be fixed pretty easily. Personally, Hell yeah. If you ever off-road and puncture a rear tire, you'll kick yourself for not getting it.
Old 11-28-2007, 06:53 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
There is a thread on here somewhere: Here's one

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f2/o...arrier-113705/

I bought one to try and use on my 1st gen. More than likely, its going to be mounted on to the bumper, not the body. If you try and do an OEM mount, you need to brace the area behind the fender. My advice would be to buy that stuff as well(if you can ).

There's a couple more posts on here about this. Good luck. If you go that route, take some pics.
Old 11-28-2007, 07:21 PM
Donny, you're out of your element
Staff

Received 54 Likes on 34 Posts
You will have to reinforce the quarter panel like the factory gate mount spares have. Otherwise you will just pull through the thin sheet metal.

From the factory its all welded in, so not a very easy removal.
Old 11-28-2007, 07:47 PM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
x3.

You have to reinforce that body panel. Otherwise, you will rip a nice chunk out of the rear of your truck. Thats not cool.
Old 11-28-2007, 07:52 PM

If you do end up deciding to do it, find out if the window motor works!
Old 11-28-2007, 11:04 PM
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
You should probably just grab a tail gate from a runner that had one of those tire rigs on the back and get that painted to match your rig. I'm not sure what you can do about reinforcing the rear quater panel, though.
Old 11-28-2007, 11:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
for $20 that looks like its worth it. much better than dealing with getting a tire out from underneath.
Old 11-29-2007, 12:56 AM
Contributing Member

I have one stock on mine they only did them 90-91 there is a lot of fab work you will need to do to beef up the rear right quarter panel to mount it.

Once you have that done you will need the 90-91 tailgate with the tire carrier as well because it has the special mount that the bar clicks into as well as the backup light's and licence plate Mount's are very different then the non carrier tailgate.

As for causing the rear end to sag mine is 18 years old and has no sag at all. It doe's carry a 35 x 12.5 tire with a 3.75 backspace without hitting the bumper and no sign's of bending the tire bar all with no mods to the carrier very cool.

Hell for the money it would be worth buying but get the tailgate to go with it and then see about beefing up the quarter you will be very happy with it mine has the stock under side tire carrier ti so if can carry 2 spares but only 1 is a 35 noway I can put a 35 on the underside but it's cool if you run 33's or smaller.
Old 11-29-2007, 04:45 AM

think is the tail gate was hit...

and to buddy who wanted a window motor there is lots of them in the junk yards up here in canada
Old 11-29-2007, 12:53 PM
Contributing Member

I think you shouldn't because.......

1. When I put one on mine the rear didn't sag (there use to be one underneath, maybe tires gain weight at a higher elevation).

2. It's so much more fun to crawl underneath in the mud to pull out your spare (if you can get it down first).

3. It takes a really really long time to mount (about 2 1/2 hours including gate replacement and beer breaks).

4. It's always better to have a little spare underneath instead of a full sized at easy access (NOT).

5. If you buy it and don't use it you probably will have to sell it (at a profit)

It well worth the effort DO IT NOW!!!!!

P.S. The center catch plate on the rear gate will mount where your license plate/backuplights are now (some interior reinforcement req) and pull the backup lights off the donor gate (should be able to mount them with a little creative effort). Finally the existing backup and license light wiring should splice up color for color.

Last edited by Dublin; 11-29-2007 at 01:00 PM.
Old 11-29-2007, 12:58 PM
Contributing Member

i hate mine, it rattles worse than tin cans in your cargo area so i dont recommend it, but if ou wan, i will give you mine for free, catch is i want your tailgate and you have to come to paradise to get it. mine is Mint, needs to be touched up from paint wear and tear from the sun

Last edited by Belize Off Road Team; 11-29-2007 at 01:00 PM.
Old 11-29-2007, 01:04 PM
Contributing Member

Glad mine makes no noise at all, guess they work better on the 94 4Runners
Belize Off Road Team, just adjust the latch in tighter you'll be surprised how much difference !/8" makes. Of course after a while you'll miss the noise and start filling the cargo area up with cans. Ahh much better.

Last edited by Dublin; 11-29-2007 at 01:08 PM.
Old 11-29-2007, 01:18 PM

ok im going back tommorow to get anoyther wiring harness for my power doors because i must have got one from a v6

maybe ill just setlle with a nice roof rack i seen on the same 4runner...

you probably wouldnt want my canadian cancer infested door hahhaha i kid its not as bad as my golden parts 4runner belize hahaha
Old 11-29-2007, 01:24 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Dublin
Glad mine makes no noise at all, guess they work better on the 94 4Runners
Belize Off Road Team, just adjust the latch in tighter you'll be surprised how much difference !/8" makes. Of course after a while you'll miss the noise and start filling the cargo area up with cans. Ahh much better.
belive it or not, i have done everything i can, i have pushed that thing in as far as it goes, i have pu foam between the points that connect, and im getting a wilderness rack, so im putting i up there anyway! and i wouldnto miss that noise, the roads are so bad down here, there i will probably be something new when i finally get rid of the holder lol
Old 11-29-2007, 01:35 PM
Contributing Member

Sounds like maybe the pivot arm bushings are completely shot, those are a PITA to replace and rattle something fierce when their bad. Time for a Safari basket maybe.
Old 11-29-2007, 01:40 PM
Contributing Member

i agree! and bigt my surf is Canadian, heck, im still canadian! i just moved to belize about a year ago, so mine is the same crap, just mine has fixed for rust
Old 11-29-2007, 01:45 PM

I wish that tire mount was still an option for later 2nd gens. Although the tire underneath looks cleaner nothing beats not having to mess with dropping the tire. Especially since the mechanism can rust and leave your spare trapped underneath.

Anyone know of a reasonably priced aftermarket bumper that has the tire mount on it already? I'd rather not mess with all the body reinforcing.

Quick Reply: how hard is putting a stock rear tire carrier