Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

How do you know a motor mount is broken?

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2008, 09:38 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
LMAO! And it's his girl who is home now who's gonna go out and work on the diagnosis. (If I dent the oil pan though I'll be looking for a new home)
Old 06-25-2008, 09:39 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by mt_goat
You build those Dale?

Troy we gotta get some built before Sean takes his welder back!
Old 06-25-2008, 09:56 AM
Contributing Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by Lysmachia
(If I dent the oil pan though I'll be looking for a new home)
That is what the block of wood between the jack and the oil pan is for.
Old 06-25-2008, 10:13 AM
Contributing Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
You build those Dale?

Troy we gotta get some built before Sean takes his welder back!
Yes, I did.
Old 06-25-2008, 10:31 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by 4Crawler
That is what the block of wood between the jack and the oil pan is for.
Yes I know, but knowing my luck I'd screw it up anyway. Hell I'm having a time getting the screws un-done to the bud built (He has the sonoran steel cross member). I don't want to strip those large regular head screws.

That's the one thing that sucks about being a chick. Lack of upper body strength. If only I could turn a screw driver with my thighs I'd be all set! (Don't get any ideas guys!!)
Old 06-25-2008, 10:42 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yes I know, but knowing my luck I'd screw it up anyway. Hell I'm having a time getting the screws un-done to the bud built (He has the sonoran steel cross member). I don't want to strip those large regular head screws.
If ya dont coat those bud built bolts with anti-seize they may never come out!
Old 06-25-2008, 10:49 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by dirtoyboy
If ya dont coat those bud built bolts with anti-seize they may never come out!
We've had em out 5X this past month! Seriously if I could cuss here I would. I am pissed. Can't get the danged things out. He doesn't have the hex screws in there any more. Giant flat head screws that go into the sonoran steel x-member. I know they come out. He seems to have no problem and I have never had to take these out.

I just can't get enough strength to push up while turning counter clockwise. Plus I am favoring a finger I cut really bad on Monday (I probably should have had stiches)

I feel stipud that I can't get em out but all I am doing is starting to strip them...
Old 06-25-2008, 10:53 AM

We've had em out 5X this past month! Seriously if I could cuss here I would. I am pissed. Can't get the danged things out. He doesn't have the hex screws in there any more. Giant flat head screws that go into the sonoran steel x-member. I know they come out. He seems to have no problem and I have never had to take these out.

I just can't get enough strength to push up while turning counter clockwise. Plus I am favoring a finger I cut really bad on Monday (I probably should have had stiches)

I feel stipud that I can't get em out but all I am doing is starting to strip them...

NO! dont strip them....try putting a jack under the crossmember to relieve all the weight on the bolts....they should come out a lot easier
Old 06-25-2008, 11:08 AM
Contributing Member

Yup already did that. Come on now. I know a little sumpthin! Thougj the jack is a little more forward than the xmembers so I'll move it 6 inches back and try it that way.
Old 06-25-2008, 11:12 AM
Contributing Member

Dang it. I did exactly what I was trying to avoid. (No I didn;t strip the bolts). I split my finger open even under the compression tape. So I guess I'll be waiting for troy to get home. I just can't grip the screwdriver hard enough with my right hand and not reopen my wound.

I think it is time to get some superglue and glue my finger shut.
Old 06-25-2008, 01:04 PM
Contributing Member

Well guys Magic troy clued me into the nuts on the tip (Hey those Allen bolts never went into any nuts! )

Got the skid off. Um, oil pan is gonna be hard to get to. If I am looking at it right the best way is to take the front xmember off, and or the diff. God please NO! I mean I could get at the very edge of the oil pan but then I'm up into some belts! (In front of the tie rod where the steering stabilizer is... as I assume that would be the easiest to take off. Otherwise I only have a lip of the pan in front of the stabilizer next to the belts.)

I hate all you with anything other than a 2nd gen 4runner. I mean could it be any more of a PITA? (IFS remember)

Last edited by Lysmachia; 06-25-2008 at 01:10 PM.
Old 06-25-2008, 01:23 PM
tc
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Can we just jack under the front of the transmission, like the bellhousing or so?
Old 06-25-2008, 01:29 PM
Contributing Member

You asking me or the teeming masses of intelligence on YT?

Yeah I can get to the bell housing. If THAT is the case I didn't have to take the skid off... and my finger is pissed!
Old 06-26-2008, 04:16 AM

I hate all you with anything other than a 2nd gen 4runner. I mean could it be any more of a PITA? (IFS remember)
Solid axles are muuuuch easier to work on!

Old 06-26-2008, 05:21 AM
Contributing Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by tc
Can we just jack under the front of the transmission, like the bellhousing or so?
I wouldn't, it would take a lot more force to lift the engine from there and it would really suck to put a crack in the bell. Don't you have an engine hoist?

Last edited by mt_goat; 06-26-2008 at 05:22 AM.
Old 06-26-2008, 06:26 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 4Crawler
Easy to test, bottle or floor jack and a block of wood is all you need. Lift up under the oil pan and watch the engine and frame move as you do. If a broken mount, you'll see the frame stop lifting at some point but the engine keep rising. Should be able to see one mount separate if it is torn, since it is usually the rubber inside the two halves the rips free:
- http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/CheapTri...torMount.shtml
My old dodge is the only vehicle I've ever had a broken motor mount on & this is accurate (as usual from 4Crawler) - I wasn't sure if these Toyota's had the same type of mounts as domestics or not. I know on my Dodge it took me about 15 minutes to change both & they were both separated at the rubber, I don't think many break at the bolts.

EDIT: that diff won't be that hard to remove as long as you remove the brace in the front with the four bolts. ZUK has a write up on his site, follow that & it's easy cheesy - try to take the short cut of not removing the brace in the front w/ the 4 bolts holding it on (that the diff front mounting bolts to) & it's a bonifide nightmare.....ask me how I know.

Last edited by Brenjen; 06-26-2008 at 06:32 AM.
Old 06-26-2008, 09:39 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Brenjen
EDIT: that diff won't be that hard to remove as long as you remove the brace in the front with the four bolts. ZUK has a write up on his site, follow that & it's easy cheesy - try to take the short cut of not removing the brace in the front w/ the 4 bolts holding it on (that the diff front mounting bolts to) & it's a bonifide nightmare.....ask me how I know.
Yeah, yeah, we know... Cuz we've removed it like 3 times in the past 6 weeks trying to diagnose locker issues. I guess Troy and I are trying to get out of any work in doing this because seriously we are so ready to sacrifice a virgin to his truck!

Last weekend we finally got it together after replacing the transmission (and spending another full day on the stipud pilot bearing).... So to have this still going on is getting old! *grrrr*

Originally Posted by mt_goat
I wouldn't, it would take a lot more force to lift the engine from there and it would really suck to put a crack in the bell. Don't you have an engine hoist?
Yes we do but the hydrolic hoist hasn't been working properly...

Last edited by Lysmachia; 06-26-2008 at 09:42 AM.
Old 06-26-2008, 09:48 AM

Yeah, yeah, we know... Cuz we've removed it like 3 times in the past 6 weeks trying to diagnose locker issues. I guess Troy and I are trying to get out of any work in doing this because seriously we are so ready to sacrifice a virgin to his truck!

Last weekend we finally got it together after replacing the transmission (and spending another full day on the stipud pilot bearing).... So to have this still going on is getting old! *grrrr*

Yes we do but the hydrolic hoist hasn't been working properly...
So what ended up getting the pilot bearing out finally? I usually use a piece of sandwich bread
Old 06-26-2008, 10:03 AM
tc
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by dirtoyboy
So what ended up getting the pilot bearing out finally? I usually use a piece of sandwich bread
A grinder.
Old 06-26-2008, 10:20 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well if I was there I'd pull it for you so you could have a break from it; but since I'm not & virgins are hard to find...Good Luck.

Quick Reply: How do you know a motor mount is broken?